had any one cured from diabetes after loosing weight?

Options
Hello All..I'm a newbie here and I'm really excited to join your community..I will be honest and say this is not my first time here..it is second time..and I have lived several years getting excited to lose the weight and making promises and challenges and in 2 days all that goes away.

this time I had been diagnosed that I'm diabetic and that was really an eye opener..I feel too young for this..I'm 32 and single lady which means I should still have a life with partner,children..I realised I missed alot of years just of being fat and now losing my health too..

I am loosing now weight because of the diabetes..it seems like it eats me (it lost 14 KG in 1 month with no diet at all)..but now I need to start real diet..stick to my medicine..and I would ask u for all the motivation that u can ever give to me please.
main motivation will be getting rid of diabetes..had any of you cured diabetes out of diet and loosing weight?

Replies

• kailina
    kailina Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am told there is no going back. But I do believe that anything is possible. Lose the weight and see what happens.
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that you'll always be diabetic, but losing weight and getting exercise can help you control it without medications (or delay the need for medications).
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1, there's nothing that can fix me, but a cure, but I'm guessing you were diagnosed as a T2. If you are losing weight because of your diabetes, you are in Ketoacidosis, completely different that Ketosis.. Ketoacidosis will cause you long term damage (think loss of vision, amputations, heart issue and kidney disease, just to name a few)

Are you testing your blood? You need to get yourself educated, look at eating a low carb diet. I've been LC since childhood and after 30+ years on insulin I have NO side effects. Diabetes can not be cured, but it can be managed, and those t2's who lose weight, eat properly and exercise can often get off of ALL meds.

Good luck to you!!
  • befitnonny
    befitnonny Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    seems I have to take it more serious than I'm currently doing..stick to proper diet and keep myself motivated even if no way back..wish me good luck :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    You'll always be diabetic. Your risk drops tremendously if your health is better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • befitnonny
    Options
    cmDaffy wrote: »
    I'm a type 1, there's nothing that can fix me, but a cure, but I'm guessing you were diagnosed as a T2. If you are losing weight because of your diabetes, you are in Ketoacidosis, completely different that Ketosis.. Ketoacidosis will cause you long term damage (think loss of vision, amputations, heart issue and kidney disease, just to name a few)

Are you testing your blood? You need to get yourself educated, look at eating a low carb diet. I've been LC since childhood and after 30+ years on insulin I have NO side effects. Diabetes can not be cured, but it can be managed, and those t2's who lose weight, eat properly and exercise can often get off of ALL meds.

Good luck to you!!

yep you are right..I'm now worried of these long term side effects u just mentioned..but it encouraged me to stop taking the situation lightly
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I sincerely hope you find a way to manage your diabetes. The dietary rules are very balanced, very healthy so it's not a bad way to live. You can still have a long and fruitful life with this disease.

My diabetes went in to remission after significant weight loss. That's the way to think about this-remission not cure. I am on no medication and my blood sugars stay in normal range.

I still eat like a diabetic however. It's a good habit.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you join the MFP Low Carb Daily Forum...The LCD Group and/or the Keto Group. Both groups include many people who have reversed their T2 diabetes, insulin resistance, high cholesterol levels, etc. through lifestyle changes that include low carb eating. Many are quite knowledgeable based on their personal experiences and extensive reading; some are health care professionals. I don't have T2 diabetes but have a VERY strong family history so I've been eating lower carb in an effort to avoid diabetes. You'll find the people in both groups to be quite supportive.
  • 4GivenServant
    4GivenServant Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A few years ago my A1C was 9.2 (normal < 5.7, pre-diabetes 5.7-6.4, diabetic > 6.5) which my doctor called "moderately severe" and suggested that I go on medication. I asked him for 90 days to change my lifestyle and see what could be done through diet and exercise. He was more than supportive as he prefers this approach over medication when possible. To make a long story short my last physical was a few weeks ago and I have lost 50 lbs and my A1C is now 6. So I don't know what you consider to be "cured", but I beat it without medication and have it under control so call it what you want.
  • befitnonny
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I sincerely hope you find a way to manage your diabetes. The dietary rules are very balanced, very healthy so it's not a bad way to live. You can still have a long and fruitful life with this disease.

My diabetes went in to remission after significant weight loss. That's the way to think about this-remission not cure. I am on no medication and my blood sugars stay in normal range.

this gives alot of hope
  • befitnonny
    Options
    A few years ago my A1C was 9.2 (normal < 5.7, pre-diabetes 5.7-6.4, diabetic > 6.5) which my doctor called "moderately severe" and suggested that I go on medication. I asked him for 90 days to change my lifestyle and see what could be done through diet and exercise. He was more than supportive as he prefers this approach over medication when possible. To make a long story short my last physical was a few weeks ago and I have lost 50 lbs and my A1C is now 6. So I don't know what you consider to be "cured", but I beat it without medication and have it under control so call it what you want.

Great news
  • befitnonny
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    I suggest that you join the MFP Low Carb Daily Forum...The LCD Group and/or the Keto Group. Both groups include many people who have reversed their T2 diabetes, insulin resistance, high cholesterol levels, etc. through lifestyle changes that include low carb eating. Many are quite knowledgeable based on their personal experiences and extensive reading; some are health care professionals. I don't have T2 diabetes but have a VERY strong family history so I've been eating lower carb in an effort to avoid diabetes. You'll find the people in both groups to be quite supportive.

Thanks alot..will certainly go and join the LCD group
  • befitnonny
    edited July 2016
    Options
    KinkJarfld wrote: »
    She is the one who got me back to MFP. She told me to do breathing exercises and lose weight.

and best of Luck for you too
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »

Here's the link to the forum:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • MPShanik
    MPShanik Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you go on a plant based whole foods diet, your diabetes can improve and sometimes even go away. I'm not a doctor but you should look into it. It's awesome!
  • Twincle1970
    Twincle1970 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ive been diagnosed withT2 for some years now. initially it was a shock and was led to believe its diet, progress to tablets, get more tablets then on to insulin. Soon learnt that's poppycock and researched and researched and listened to other diabetics. I started on the low carb diet which is excellent as it generally keeps your sugar levels lower (carbs = higher blood glucose level), started a regime of exercise and now I don't take any medication at all, nor worry too much about what I eat. i firmly believe that the single biggest factor in dropping T2 is weight loss, nothing more than that. I think your pancreas can only produce enough insulin for 'x' volume for your body and your whole body will use the insulin produced (which as we get older will be less/not as strong as a younger body) so less body = effective use of whats produced :smile: hth
  • shondashirrel
    shondashirrel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I been a type 1 since I was 2.. I'm 35. 2 kids and one just diabetic at 6 yrs old.. Type 1 can be cured .. Well not cured but maintained with no insulin.. So I hear.. I feel like cm daffy... No cure.. I feel like my body is so damaged ,, it's way too late.. But I have to show my daughter what not to do and how to live a healthy life.. That's why I am here.. It seems my sugars are so much better but I'm hungry all the time and I'm correcting the lows.. Seems impossible to lose the weight when I'm running lows and shoveling food to correct the lows.
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I will second this...at 330 lbs my A1C was 8.2, after losing over 100 lbs and being off meds for over six months my A1C was 5.7. Currently I am on no meds and eat a healthy, low carb diet, combined with exercise 6 days per week, started off walking and have worked up to jogging and strength training. Good luck to you! It can be done!