Resistance bands question

Options
jrobertson290365
jrobertson290365 Posts: 81 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi guy's, I just got reweighed last night and have now lost 11lb in 3 weeks, so my weight is now 23st 11lb, I have chronic back pain so have mobility issues and trying more and more to walk to help lose weight, but I have just got a set of resistance bands and not sure what exercise I can do to help me.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks

Replies

• StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend xxxx you will find loads good luck x
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Total body stretch: https://www.verywell.com/total-body-stretch-with-resistance-bands-1231152

Beginner workout: https://www.verywell.com/beginner-total-body-resistance-band-workout-1231110

There are videos on YouTube as well. Jessica Smith TV & Fitness Blender have workouts using bands.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Honestly google and you tube are your friend here.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    First off, did you get approval from your doctor to do strength exercises? Considering your weight and orthopedic issues, there's a good chance you'll do some exercises with incorrect form, and you might end up hurting yourself. I suggest working with either a physiotherapist or a personal trainer with a kinesiology degree - they'll give you a customized program.
    In the mean time, i'd focus on walking, staying active, and eating fewer calories. That's more important right now than strength training. :+1:
  • jrobertson290365
    jrobertson290365 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    First off, did you get approval from your doctor to do strength exercises? Considering your weight and orthopedic issues, there's a good chance you'll do some exercises with incorrect form, and you might end up hurting yourself. I suggest working with either a physiotherapist or a personal trainer with a kinesiology degree - they'll give you a customized program.
    In the mean time, i'd focus on walking, staying active, and eating fewer calories. That's more important right now than strength training. :+1:

It was my doctor and clinic nurse who said I should lose weight because i'm Pre-Diabetes and over weight but been told to lose weight and go back to see them in 1 years time but get my weight checked in 6 months, no-ones told me how to or what type of exercise to do.

I'm just trying to lose this weight as easily and as fast as I possibly can.
  • sparkie5555
    sparkie5555 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    80% weight loss is food consumption. Calories in calories out. If you stick to a healthy and reasonable eating plan the wait will go down. Once you get a good amount of weight off then exercising will be easier. I would think swimming or some type of water exercise would be best for you. I walk 8 miles a day and that seems sufficient for me and low impact. Good luck
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It was my doctor and clinic nurse who said I should lose weight because i'm Pre-Diabetes and over weight but been told to lose weight and go back to see them in 1 years time but get my weight checked in 6 months, no-ones told me how to or what type of exercise to do.

Until you get approval from a doctor or physiotherapist to do strength exercises, i suggest skipping them. The small number of calories they burn isn't worth the risk of injury. If walking hurts, maybe cycle or swim. If you can't, just keep eating a low calorie diet. Try to meet your protein goals to help maintain muscle.

Post a weight update in a few weeks. :+1:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Since you have mobility issues, ask doctor for a referral to a physical therapist who can set up an exercise program for you. You should have a diagnosis that will enable your insurance to cover the visits.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You can find resistance band exercises for strength training here:

http://www.blackmountainproducts.com/exercises/

But as the others said, ask your doctor first. Even though many physiotheraphists use resistance bands as part of a rehabilitation program, it's better to be safe than sorry.