Do macros matter and why ?

Options
I understand tracking calories and even micronutrients but why do macros matter ?

Replies

• bkris14
    bkris14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It really all depends on your specific goal.
    It's great to understand counting calories but sometimes counting calories is not enough.
    If you are under a specific time frame for a specific goal sometimes tracking macros can help identify where the calories are going and if they are working with you or against you in relation to your goals.

For example if you needed to lose weight and you were taking in too many of the "wrong" type of carbs or too much sodium, you could hang on to fluid Weight which not only looks bad on the scales but can also hinder your goal.

I personally think that tracking macros is more important than the calories. I have a base calorie intake for training / non training days and I alter the macros depending on what my activity level is for that day.

Not sure if this helps at all.
  • TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Depends what your goals are.

Personally I like to maintain the muscle I've worked so hard to cultivate, so when the time comes to shed some fat I want to do so in a way that limits how much of that muscle I lose in the process.

In these times I make sure I am eating a higher percentage of calories coming from protein which helps preserve muscle mass while on a deficit.

It's worked for me and I doubt I would have had the same results if I had been eating a sparse amount of protein.
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here say that the only thing you really need to do to lose weight is to consistently have a calorie deficit. But then some people say, you need that plus to still be aware of what foods you eat to help with that weight loss (macros). So is it then truly not just a calorie deficit? If you are always under your calories for the day shouldn't the weight just be falling off? I really don't do anything other then watch calories, count steps, and do Zumba twice a week and I've had pretty good results. I'm 8 lbs down so far in about 19 days. But I'm wondering if I should do more.
  • louvig
    louvig Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Macros helped me fine tune my diet so it worked with my needs and training program. For me it's about making sure when I lose weight I am losing mainly fat and not muscle and fat. That is especially true as you get older when our bodies have a tendency to lose muscle. So lifting and sufficient protein helps to make sure I maintain my hard-earned muscle in a deficit and build muscle with little fat in a moderate surplus. Tracking my macros ensures that I am getting enough protein to support my lifting program and maintain muscle. I also find that making sure I get sufficient "good" fats helps my joints and tendons. When I was not getting enough fats, I had joint pain after doing heavy lifting which was never a problem when I was younger. I basically make sure that I get sufficient proteins and fat each day and fill in the rest of my calories with carbs. This has worked for me.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Macros matter significantly. Protein builds, maintains, and repairs body tissue. Fat has many roles. Fat helps with cushioning vital organs, body temperature, growth and development, and aids in digesting certain vitamins that cannot be digested without fat. Carbs are the main energy source. If your macros are not balanced to what they should be for your body it can cause problems. Lets say you are eating a much higher percentage for carbs than what your body really needs. You will hang on to water weight and may continue to gain water weight. That will also apply to too much sodium intake. When your body is in balance, your body will function properly.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You need protein to maintain and grow muscle, and you need fat for a variety of body functions, including hormone regulation and vitamin absorption. Yes, they matter. Whether you need to track them depends on your eating habits and goals.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I understand tracking calories and even micronutrients but why do macros matter ?
    Goal dependent. If you goal is to get to a healthy weight then IMO no, you don't need to track. Just be sure all your meals are balanced with protein, fat and carbs. If your goal is to say recomp then IMO yes you should probably track macros...
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I never really paid any attention to macros until this past year. I was eating enough calorie wise but was feeling very sluggish and tired all the time. When I started logging my food I realized I was getting way too much protein and not nearly enough carbs. Once I increased my carbs and lowered my protein my energy returned. I don't really pay strict attention them so much anymore, I just try to make sure I balance my meals more and not only eat just protein.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Macros are incredibly important - a year ago I was eating a far too high protein diet and calculating macros albeit tweaking here and there to 1.4g of protein per lb of bodyweight and 0.6g of fat with 435g of carbs. Tracking also helps one not go over as sometimes this can be difficult without any gauge e.g. I know now to eat 100g salmon rather than 200 ish I used to eat "by accident" so to speak
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Macros matter to me because getting them right means the difference between hunger and fullness/satiety.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Not only do they matter for satiety, they matter for our health and body composition.

Macronutrient Functions in the Body

Carbohydrates

4 calories per gram

This macronutrient is the preferred source of energy by the body as

it is simply converted to glucose and utilized for energy. Muscles

store this in the form of glycogen which provide energy for quick

movement and short term (<30 minutes) exercise. Carbohydrates

are commonly found in fruits, vegetables, grains, and dairy products.

Minimum Requirements: While there is no minimum requirement,

It is recommended that most of your daily calories come

from carbohydrates as they are the body's preferred source of energy and

are easily converted to glucose. This glucose is then stored in your muscle

tissue in the form of glycogen which is bound to a high amount of water.

Carbohydrates therefore may have an impact on your overall energy levels

throughout the day and fluctuations in water weight. In addition to being an excellent

source of energy, most carbohydrates are combined with essential micronutrients

and are considered protein-sparing. The current recommendation is

between 40­-65% of your total intake.

Proteins

4 calories per gram

This macronutrient is made up of substances called amino acids.

These amino acids help repair tissue and are precursors to

enzymes, hormones, immune response, cellular repair, and other

molecules necessary for human life. Proteins are vital in healing

and repairing muscles after exercise. These amino acids can be

found in meats, fish, dairy, vegetables, grains, and legumes.

Minimum Requirements:It is recommended* for individuals who are active to obtain at least

.8­-1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass to assist in recovery

and discourage muscle loss.

Fats

9 calories per gram

This macronutrient is necessary in cell, nerve tissue, and hormone

production. These lipids are required for the absorption of fat­soluble

vitamins including: Vitamin A, D, K, E, and carotenoids. While fats

are necessary they can easily be over­consumed as they are the

most energy­dense macronutrient. Lipids are commonly found in:

oils, meats, fish, dairy, and eggs.

Minimum Requirements: It is recommended to obtain 20­-35% of your total calorie intake from

fats with a combined limit of 10% from saturated and trans fats.

Sorry for the formatting, this is just a section of one of my nutrition guides i provide my clients. It is based on the current information recommended by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Department of Agriculture, and in­ accordance with the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Protein - the only one that I really worry about. Can never get enough.
    My goal is 70 grams a day (minimum). Learning here how to get more.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    macros matter way more to people that are bodybuilding/fitness competitions. As some mentioned it helps having high protein when in a deficit to preserve muscle. Others mentioned certain personal macro goals can help with hunger/satiety. I personally ignore my fat/carb macros but do try to at least get the minimum of protein since I am working out.
  • superpowers2016
    superpowers2016 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for commenting guys I am at the beginning of my journey and I have so much to learn. I try to eat a balanced diet but I have trouble reaching my protein goals and my fats are always over. Once I start strength training I will work on boosting my protein intake to support my muscles and as I progress I will fine tune my macros.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for commenting guys I am at the beginning of my journey and I have so much to learn. I try to eat a balanced diet but I have trouble reaching my protein goals and my fats are always over. Once I start strength training I will work on boosting my protein intake to support my muscles and as I progress I will fine tune my macros.

Good luck! Remember that fat intake of 0.35 grams per pound of body weight is a minimum. Unfortunately, MFP uses red for anything you go over on, and extra protein, fat, and most micros aren't bad. Let me add some encouragement to start strength training now. It doesn't have to be a full 5x5 program, but get into the gym and get comfortable with the weights.