Alternative Pancakes/Waffle Recipe, cause the good stuff has too many calories.

Options
bakemma
bakemma Posts: 161 Member
I believe in everything in moderation, but at the same time I like to use my calories the way I use my budget. Important thing first and indulgences last. Pancakes or Waffles are such for me. A meal full of carbs and fat and very little protein that make me hungry a couple hours later. Not to mention that there is little to no fiber as well. So for a while I played around to try and find something satisfying but with less calories and alas nothing was as sweet and delicious as a stack of waffles or pancakes that my Momma makes slathered in butter. No syrup needed. I gave up.

Recently I said enough was a enough. This is a lifestyle and I can't never have pancakes and waffles especially if its gonna take me at least a year to get to my goal weight. So I took a box of pancake mixed and tried again, and I found it. And alternative that works for me.

47 grams of pancake mix, 1/3 cup of water, 1 egg, 1/8 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 2 tsps of oil ( I use grapseed). I let it stand while I wait for my waffle iron or pan heat up. Then I spray the pan/iron with oil spray and cook them up. It makes 3 single square waffles, or 3 pancakes. They are a little eggy, but I wait for them to get as crispy as possible ( not much oil so they don't get very crispy) And instead of butter or syrup I sprinkle a smidge of salt and they are SOOOOO good. I am not typically an egg fan, but for these....OMG!!!

Replies

• inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    1 Banana mashed with a fork
    1 Egg white
    2 TBSP oats
    Dash Vanilla essence
    1/2 tsp Cinnamon

Mix together, fry in coconut oil on a low/medium heat.
    Banana pancakes!!
    I love mine with yogurt, honey and fruit

• st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Do you like frozen waffles at all? The brand Van's makes waffles that have 8 whole grains (it says they're baked with whole wheat, oats, barley, brown rice, rye, quinoa, amaranth and millet), only have 150 calories for 2 waffles, and have 7g of fiber. I tried them today and thought they were good! We're already friends on MFP and I posted a picture of them this morning if you want to check it out on my page :smile:
  • christinebushee2014
    christinebushee2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The Kashi multigrain frozen waffles are also quite reasonable in calories. And thry taste great!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love Kodiak cake mixes.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I make oatmeal and banana pancakes- I typically use the Bisquick Heart Smart for the "flour"
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    http://www.ruled.me/breakfast-cauliflower-waffles/

Comes out to 194.8 kcal/serving, and the things are obscenely filling. You can omit cheeses as desired from the recipe to cut kcals down, but that will also reduce it's satiety.
  • Francl27
    Options
    http://www.ruled.me/breakfast-cauliflower-waffles/

Comes out to 194.8 kcal/serving, and the things are obscenely filling. You can omit cheeses as desired from the recipe to cut kcals down, but that will also reduce it's satiety.

:|
  • RitaRose91
    RitaRose91 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm like you...I LOVE my chocolate chip pancakes/waffles, but the lack of protein would make me hungry again, at my Ralph's they sell these protein pancake waffle mix which isn't half bad, it's 200 cal for 1/2 but I split it into 1/4 so I get two pancakes out of it, and I also pair it with turkey sausage or pancake and some fruits. But I only do it like once in a while now
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    st476 wrote: »
    Do you like frozen waffles at all? The brand Van's makes waffles that have 8 whole grains (it says they're baked with whole wheat, oats, barley, brown rice, rye, quinoa, amaranth and millet), only have 150 calories for 2 waffles, and have 7g of fiber. I tried them today and thought they were good! We're already friends on MFP and I posted a picture of them this morning if you want to check it out on my page :smile:

Vans frozen waffles are my favorite w a bit of honey and a tablespoon of whipped cream!

I get the gluten free pumpkin spice or gluten free chocolate chip, they don't taste like gluten free though lol!

210 calories for 2
  • katielynn107
    katielynn107 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What about using coconut milk- I like to use vanilla coconut milk with the heart healthy bisquick. So good!
  • inkdesigner
    inkdesigner Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Three words: Stack'd pancake mix

227 calories for buttermilk pancake mix. Hugh in protein and tastes like heaven
  • cmuise19
    cmuise19 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just use pancake mix from a box, add water and a scoop of vanilla protein powder
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    The biggest loser pancakes are fantastic...as are the cottage cheese pancakes:
    http://lmld.org/2015/10/05/biggest-loser-pancakes/

Bisquick pancakes are lower calorie, too.

Also, you can modify an ordinary pancake recipe. Use egg whites and skim milk instead of whole eggs and whole milk. Also, sugar free syrups are great and go for whipped butter instead of ordinary butter. Spray oils work a treat, too.
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    1 egg
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 scoop Scottish oat meal or oat bran
    2 T pumpkin
  • all_in_the_game
    all_in_the_game Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Make it without eggs and butter. Use vegetable oil instead of butter and you can reach as low as 180 Calories in your pancake.

http://www.fabhow.com/make-pancakes.html#Recipe_2_Pancakes_without_Eggs
  • Francl27
    Options
    Make it without eggs and butter. Use vegetable oil instead of butter and you can reach as low as 180 Calories in your pancake.

http://www.fabhow.com/make-pancakes.html#Recipe_2_Pancakes_without_Eggs

But eggs are the most nutritious part of pancakes... I don't get this.
  • all_in_the_game
    all_in_the_game Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree but they do add to the calorie (not as much as butter), which was what OP does not want. Notwithstanding the fact that just avoiding calories is also not advisable if the nutrition content is low.

Eggless recipe is simply for those who wish to avoid eggs in their pancake.
  • inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    - 2 bananas mashed into pudding like mixture
    - 1 whisked egg white
    - desiccated coconut (as much as you like)
    - drop vanilla essence
    - squirt honey

mix, fry tbsp size panckaes in coocnut oil.

AMAZING.