eating all my calories in one meal

Options
Hey guys im wondering if for example my maintenance calories is 1600 and I eat all of that in one meal like at lunch and then skip dinner will I gain weight? Cos my body if facing so much calories in a short period and might store fat? Or isit ok cos its kind of like intermittent fasting
Thx

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    My husband has eaten this way his entire adult life and is muscular and fit at age 50 so no, it won't make any difference.

Plus its now being advised to reduce number of meals per day with higher calories as its healthier for the gut etc.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time
  • queenb3701
    queenb3701 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I actually might try this, what time do you all eat your meal?
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This is what's called Intermittent Fasting and it's perfectly normal. The longer your body goes until the next meal gives your body a longer period to burn off fat. Some people eat all their meals at one time, some spread their meals within a 6-8 hour window, some eat normal for 5 days and decrease their calories to 500 2x a week. If you're fine eating once a day, that may be the best thing for you provided that you don't have health issues that require you to eat more often.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    queenb3701 wrote: »
    I actually might try this, what time do you all eat your meal?

10am
  • Bxqtie116
    Options
    I'm doing the IF and my window for eating is 12-8. I never really eat until 8, I'm usually done for the day around 6-7.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Every body is different. Try it out and collect data. Then spread out your calories and collect data. Compare the 2. Find your own answer.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yeh I do this quite often. Still same amount of calories
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This seems like a tough way to go.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I do this but eat at around 1 pm
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »

I think eating breakfast in the morning is tough.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I also think eating small amounts of calories a throughout the day is tough. I'm constantly hungry and it leads to overeating by nightfall. I would rather wait and eat all my calories at night because I sleep better with a full belly. I have lost 50 lbs this way.

Whatever helps you stick to your calorie goal, OP.
  • Tretop76
    Tretop76 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've sabotaged myself eating one meal a day. I guess it depends on the individual. For me it's not the way to go everyday. But I find myself wanting to live this way more than eating the small more frequent meals. All of the comments were very interesting and informative.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend is thin as a rail (very fit from his job but thin as a rail LOL) and if left to his own devices he only eats once a day.

its not uncommon for me to eat once a day, though i prefer twice.
  • Bxqtie116
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »

It's really not that bad. When you think about it, majority of those hours of fasting is when you're sleeping. If you eat dinner at 7pm and get up for work at 6 am, that's already 11 hours since your last meal. You're just basically skipping breakfast and eating lunch around 11-12.