HELP! Eating out Mexican food, need advice!

Options
Going out later for dinner with a friend for Mexican. I don't know what to have! I never eat chips, but usually get stuff I'm not willing to eat anymore.
What should I have?

Replies

• kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    What's an example of something you might get that you're not willing to eat anymore? This question is too broad...
  • Moonlitriver17
    Moonlitriver17 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajita nachos with queso, sour cream, guac.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

What's wrong with fajitas?
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I do fajitas when I go out, I don't love the sour cream so skip that but keep the guac and salsa.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Fajitas all the way. Ask if they can sub refried beans for black beans. If not, skip them. A little rice is alright. Pico de gallo is the best thing on earth. Go for corn tortillas if you must have them.
  • phrunch
    phrunch Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone. Get some fajitas. Throw all the salsa on it. Live your life.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    If you skip the cheese, tortillas, and tamales, there's a lot of grilled meat with veggies to be found in the commercial Mexican cuisine here in the US.

I stick to the fish and/or seafood in veg sautés or broths and have them leave off the rice when I eat out at them. Not because I don't eat rice but because I'm spoiled forever after learning to make my own arroz rojo. And fish/sea food because that's the sort of Mexican food I don't make at home.

The other approach if I'm feeling particularly relleno or tamale deficient is to order whatever and only eat half and have the other half boxed, figuring I've eaten 1-1.2K calories with all the cheese/flour/corn/cooking oil/sour cream/guac.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Chili verde? Lean pork, and tomatilla sauce???
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Ceviche is my go to when I'm trying to really keep calories low, or if I want to drink a decent amount as well.

You have a couple options:
    You can get what you want with the works, go over your calories for the day, and move on.
    You can order the meal you want, but without some of the guac/sour cream/queso to shave off a few hundred calories. You might be able to eat the meal and stay in a deficit for the day.
    You can really compromise and stay on track by getting something like a cut of meat, with a side salad, or the ceviche I suggested. No chips, no drink. Etc.

Just have a plan.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

What's wrong with fajitas?

There's nothing wrong with fajitas, but you missed the word after fajitas. :wink: They weren't listing fajitas AND nachos, they were saying 'fajita nachos'. One item. And yeah, nachos are a just a wee bit high in calories compared to other Mexican options. Fajitas on the other hand, as others have said, are a good choice as long as you are gentle with the toppings.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I always go with either steak or chicken fajitas, and toss the tortillas. Though, I'm also keto, so if you're not, no reason to drop them, unless they don't fit into your kcals for the day. They can be obnoxiously dense though, depending upon size and fat content.

Fish tacos can also be fantastic, if you like them and the restaurant doesn't suck at making them.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I went tonight as well. Skipped the chips. I had two shrimp tacos on corn tortillas with tomato, onion, salsa, Guac and a tiny bit of sour cream.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I went today to Margaritas. I had the pork burrito. It came with Rice & beans. Tomorrow is a new day!
  • LannyMixon
    LannyMixon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Here's what I have found that works, skip the chips they sneak up on on you. Order ala carte traditonal mexical tacos like the tacos al pastor, al carbon, carne asada or barbacoa. Have them dressed with only raw onions and cilantro and ask for a salsa verde on the side. If they serve them in double tortillas, eat only one. Skip the rice and beans.

You can usually eat up to 4 of those and not bust your goal.