Are Pull ups required ?

Options
Hi there, I wanted to ask are pull ups required for a big back, I cant do pull ups, I dont have the strength to do them yet, I was thinking of trying them. I wanted to ask are they really required or can I just do rows and lat pulldowns.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they are required, not my area of expertise. However, have you considered using the machine that assists with pull-ups/dips and working your way with that to being able to do a pull up?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    People with big backs do pull-ups. As suggested, use an assist machine and/or an assist band. You can get there.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Nothing is "required".

Big guys with big backs rarely rely on pull ups as part of their main routine because the weight to strength ratio makes it difficult to get in the required reps. Doesn't seem to hold them back
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting again, I could not do one. I worked on heavy rows and pulldowns. I can now do 5-6 strict form pullups. Negatives will help you build the strength, along with other back exercises that I mentioned. Also, do some inverted rows. If you have access to an assisted pullup machine, use it as well. I also lost 27 lbs. which for me made a big difference, as it's less weight I have to pull. I don't believe there is any single exercise that will help you build a wide back like pullups. Lat pulldowns would be my number two choice.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Rows and lateral wide grip Pull downs will get you to the point of being able to do pull ups. Don't worry it takes time.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they are required, not my area of expertise. However, have you considered using the machine that assists with pull-ups/dips and working your way with that to being able to do a pull up?

This is my favorite machine at the gym.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Required no. The biggest bodybuilding backs in the world can barely do 4-5 pullsup because of weight (250lbs and up). They do a lot of pulldowns though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    No exercise is required, but I would work to use them either through bands or an assistance machine. They're easy enough to work into a routine.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't want a big(ger) back but I really, really want to do pull ups ...although recurrent tendonitis is thwarting me

But no, no specific exercises is the only way to get to a goal, there are always alternatives
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If you can't do them, they are a great goal to aim for. Pull-ups are an awesome measure of your strength/weight ratio and anyone who can make them look easy deserves admiration. I worked up to it by doing hanging leg raises, then negatives and chin ups. My pull-ups are not pretty but I'm getting there.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Alternative way I help clients to do them is on the Smith machine. They sit on the floor, stretch up their arms and do a pullup, albeit with some leg help. As they get better, they use less legs.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've set a goal for my 67th birthday (about six months away) to do the PCC Century Workout. I am quite a way from 10 pull-ups (another reason to loose weight), let alone after the other stuff and am using bands for assistance at the moment. Time will tell.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    They aren't required, but I definitely think they should be a staple. Weighted pull ups are what I've been doing recently to stress my lats even more. I can only do 5-6 strict form pull ups with a 25lb plate. But damn do lats get a good workout
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Required no. The biggest bodybuilding backs in the world can barely do 4-5 pullsup because of weight (250lbs and up). They do a lot of pulldowns though.

So, at 264# and not working out, I shouldn't be embarrassed that I can't do one?

• ninerbuff
    Options

So, at 264# and not working out, I shouldn't be embarrassed that I can't do one?
    No. 264lbs is a lot of weight to pull up into the air. Even people with decent muscle would have a hard time pulling down just 200lbs if their legs were anchored.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options

Definitely not embarrassed. I'm pretty fit and weigh 146 and I can only do 1. I'm certainly not embarrassed about it!

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do you want a big back or a strong back?

As others have mentioned, you can start with assisted pull ups or do pull downs and work your way up (personally I can only do a couple - unassisted - which is more than I could do a few months ago, you'll get there....)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Required no, but that should not be an excuse to not worry about working your way to doing several of them. Many big guys can still do a decent amount of pullups.