How many sets a day should you do for weight lifting?

Options
5K85
5K85 Posts: 98 Member
I've been doing three sets

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Completely depends on your goals and programming.
  • 5K85
    Options
    Ok, so if I do at my weight of losing some, sure thanks
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    What lifting program are you doing? They tell you how many to do.
  • 5K85
    Options
    Just my own it's a 4 weight
  • 5K85
    Options
    what do you mean, I don't do a lot of reps, just what I can do in the morning
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What exercises are you doing? How much weight?

Your question is kind of vague. How many sets/reps will vary depending on the program. I would suggest looking into a well known program like Strong Curves or Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Lifts 5x5, because you want to make sure you hit every muscle when you lift (not necessarily all at the same time, but you don't want to neglect an area of your body all together).
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    If you have made up your own program you are in charge of figuring this out. I would recommend following a program from this list: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • 5K85
    Options
    The weight is 4 for one weight and 7 for the other. Upper body training
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    5K85 wrote: »
    The weight is 4 for one weight and 7 for the other. Upper body training

So your using 4 lb and 7 lb dumbbells?
    Only upper body workouts?? That doesn't sound balanced at all.
    Look into one of the lifting programs from the list linked to above or go to fitnessblender.com and rotate through strength videos for various parts of your body.
  • 5K85
    Options
    Well, I have one weight which is two, these are weights not dumbbells
  • 5K85
    Options
    I got to stay more focused
  • shadow2soul
    edited July 2016
    Options
    5K85 wrote: »
    Well, I have one weight which is two, these are weights not dumbbells

barbell plates? Kettlebells?
    Dumbbells are a type of weight. I just assumed when you said you had 4 and 7 that they would be dumbbells.
  • 5K85
    Options
    I see, I looked at the site, it's really helpful
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It depends TO build muscle I do pyramids where I start with a set of 10 at 45 and drop the reps by two and increase the weight by 5 pounds for each set. The final set is usually 6 reps. The other option if I am just looking to tone my muscles, is lighter weights with maybe 20 reps.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Here is a good little programme you can do at home. It tells you how many reps and sets to do so you won't have to worry.

Increasing the weights or reps as you work through the programme will help in increasing muscle strength.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Cheers, h.
  • 5K85
    Options
    I know understand that these are all weights
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Is English your first language?

I am having trouble following anything in this thread

What are you actually doing?...what type of exercise eg curls, push ups, rows, squats ...all types of exercise

What are you actually lifting? ...eg how much weight and what type ...are you talking in pounds or kilos

What is your goal?

If you are completely ignorant would you not be better following a ready designed programme?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    A picture of what you're using may be helpful, since none of us can really understand exactly what you're using.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest doing a structured program, like stronglifts 5x5 , or others that have been mentioned. If you do not have access to barbells and plates, maybe try something like convict conditioning or you are your own gym.
    If all you have is dumbbells, you could do something like 30 day shred, ripped in 30, or Denise Austin body boot camp(but there are many others). These would not really be just strength workouts, they are more like circuit training with cardio.
    I can almost guarantee that you are not getting a balanced and well rounded workout with what you are doing now.