Rut from stress & moving to a sitting-all-day job

Options
This summer, my active lifestyle (always walking to the other campus, participating in orgs, and competing in dance) as a graduate student has changed to my summer internship. The internship is high stress, and worse, all I do is sit all day. I have not adjusted well, and have probably put on some weight. That in turn also stresses me out and makes me unhappy. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to keep the weight off & perhaps for burning bonus calories during the day? I don't want to go back to school after the summer for my last year less in shape than when I left!

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    can you take walks during your lunch break?
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue.

What I did was made sure to walk at least a mile everyday after I got home. No matter how exhausted I was. It would clear my head, and I would get some exercise to make up for sitting on my butt all day. As for the stress, i'd usually come home and drink a cup of hot tea (Orange Dulce, English Breakfast and Lady Grey work wonders) after taking a hot shower. If you have more active hobbies (like dancing as you mentioned) you could try to do something involved with that during the weekends. Or one day during the weekend and then use the other as a stress free day to do what you want for the purpose of reducing stress and anxiety.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I would turn one weekend day (daylight time only) into my gung ho holy hell beast mode day. Id do cardio in the morning, lift liek a goddess in the afternoon and pamper myself before sundown and a perfect set of meals all day.

you deserve to have a handful of daylight hours dedicated purely to your own special awesomeness, mental clarity and bangin body no?
  • dwatson925
    dwatson925 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I get up from desk as much as possible. It is important to have a little self time during the day.
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do stuff, like take down mail, other exercise that is still, "work".