Struggling with how much to eat when active

Options
I started running 5 miles three times a week. My calorie allowance is 1300. I have done well at 1200-1300 calories for 7 months. Since I've added the excercise I have major binges! What is happening ?! I'm scared I'm going I fail again :(. Should I just stop running?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's numbers you should NET your calorie goal, by eating back the calories burnt exercising.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Stop running? No, you eat more food. That's called earning more calories to eat because you're exercising. Your body needs them to fuel itself and recover.
  • laurasprogress
    laurasprogress Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Would it be wise to spread it out through the week. Like if i burn 500 calories today, maybe eat and additional 250 today and an additional 250 on my off day? I suppose it will all come out in the wash at the end of the week
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Would it be wise to spread it out through the week. Like if i burn 500 calories today, maybe eat and additional 250 today and an additional 250 on my off day? I suppose it will all come out in the wash at the end of the week

Yeah, doesn't matter how you do it. I love long run days for the extra cals!
  • laurasprogress
    laurasprogress Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the feedback. It's hard to get my mind around it being necessary to eat more.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    Well, that is what has been leading to your binges, though.

The body needs what it needs. If you aren't getting enough to eat to fuel your running, it's just a matter of time till the binge. It's better to eat enough to start with, you're going to feel better and your runs will be more enjoyable which will lead you to keep running and next thing you know your body is healthy and using the fuel you give it.
  • chrismitu
    chrismitu Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I find that doing less exercise funily enough helps me control my appetite better. Last summer I was cycling into work 17miles each way and I was getting the most horrible hungger attacks with the shakes and all on the way home. I would have to stop at the nearest shop or fast food restaurant to get some unhealthy calories. Unfortunately I ended up putting on weight that summer.

Once I stopped cycling I regained control of my food intake. Consider doing less exercise until your cravings subside and up the amount of exercise a bit at the time.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    chrismitu wrote: »
    I find that doing less exercise funily enough helps me control my appetite better. Last summer I was cycling into work 17miles each way and I was getting the most horrible hungger attacks with the shakes and all on the way home. I would have to stop at the nearest shop or fast food restaurant to get some unhealthy calories. Unfortunately I ended up putting on weight that summer.

Once I stopped cycling I regained control of my food intake. Consider doing less exercise until your cravings subside and up the amount of exercise a bit at the time.

Or fuel your exercise and doing 'a lot' wouldn't be a problem.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    chrismitu wrote: »

I'm going to disagree with your general point.

If you had been watching your calories and eating enough food before your rides, this wouldn't have happened. Many people try to force their bodies to perform while under-fueled. It doesn't work. Finding that sweet spot takes some trial and error. If you would have brought along some carbs to pop in your mouth when you started getting that shaky low-blood-sugar feeling, and if you had listened to the signals your body was sending and prepared ahead of time, that could have been avoided. A 17 mile bike ride is not an endurance event and could easily have been handled.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Exercise and activity in general requires fuel...the more you're doing, the more fuel you need to do those things.
  • chrismitu
    chrismitu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lets not make it about me :-). I aggree you need to fuel appropriately. I didn't and found that I could better listen to my body by doing less exercise and gradually increasing the amount I was doing. Had I been counting calories and doing the maths I would have fared better.