How many calories do we burn on average from lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• stacey_rayner
    stacey_rayner Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Completely impossible to measure without knowing intensity levels and rest times. I know HRMs aren't accurate for strength training but I use mine anyway. It helps me compare one day to the next and has served me well. I'd much rather do that than get some arbitrary number from MFP that accounts for nothing except your age and weight.

This is what i do. On some days I can burn say up to 250 for a 45min session, but have found I do burn more on days where i put more effort into when im working my lower half by free weights not restricted to machines. This just keeps me accountable. :)
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, my fitbit surge has helped me on this. I tend to underlog what it tells me for when I lift, since those cals seem really high (even though I'm way up there in weight). Read some reviews and found they generally underreport your HR.

Just stick with the MFP suggestion for time.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP number, but I don't believe it's accurate for me. I do 5x5 at heavy weights (for a 160 lb female) with 60-90 seconds of rest. My heart rate is ALWAYS over 130 by the end of my warm up squats - I move through them quickly to get it there - and stays there throughout the session. I'm burning as much as do in an equivalent amount of HipHop class, not an equivalent yoga class.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP number, but I don't believe it's accurate for me. I do 5x5 at heavy weights (for a 160 lb female) with 60-90 seconds of rest. My heart rate is ALWAYS over 130 by the end of my warm up squats - I move through them quickly to get it there - and stays there throughout the session. I'm burning as much as do in an equivalent amount of HipHop class, not an equivalent yoga class.

HR and calorie burn aren't the same thing.
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I also use a HRM when I lift. I lift heavy, but we also throw in conditioning work at my gym. Yesterday for instance was a superset of RDLs and lateral lunchs and then a 21-15-9 of deadlifts, KB pulls, and pushups. We ended with rowing intervals. According to my HRM, I burned 464 calories in a little over an hour. I stick with whatever the HRM tells me. It seems relatively accurate for the work I'm doing.

On the flip side, on Max Effort days when there's no conditioning work, I clock in the 250-300 range for about an hour of work.
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It is surprising little, if you look at a food cal, it is 4000J or roughly lifting 3000lbs off the ground 1 foot. (Assuming you are from the US). Now your body is really inefficient (typically about 20%) so that is only 600lbs 1 foot, or 5 reps of 135 on the bench lets say per cal.

However, the bulk of the energy burn is used in repairing the body after a workout.
  • rkpixler
    rkpixler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually lift right after running 3-4 miles, so my heartrate is already up. I am doing ice cream fitness 5x5 which usually takes about 25 minutes to do. With only 10-15 seconds of rest in between sets.
    My Tom Tom Spark HRM says I usually burn about 100 calories for every 10 minutes of lifting, when I piggy back off my run. If I lift alone it is usually about 75-80 for every 10 minutes of lifting.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    rkpixler wrote: »
    I usually lift right after running 3-4 miles, so my heartrate is already up. I am doing ice cream fitness 5x5 which usually takes about 25 minutes to do. With only 10-15 seconds of rest in between sets.
    My Tom Tom Spark HRM says I usually burn about 100 calories for every 10 minutes of lifting, when I piggy back off my run. If I lift alone it is usually about 75-80 for every 10 minutes of lifting.

HRMs are not accurate for, or meant for lifting-unfortunately.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

And to add, that's not how it works anyway.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've used the heart rate formula for aerobic type exercise and compared it to the MFP numbers and they are close to the same.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

And to add, that's not how it works anyway.

And that too