Any truckers here???

Options
Looking to get the word on eating ok while on the road

Replies

• rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I'm not a trucker but I've been married to mine for 21 years. It is hard to find decent food on the road, especially with many fuel stops going away from the full service restaurant and having only fast food joints.
    Most convenience stores carry fresh fruit and those little cups of fruit in the refrigerated section. Nuts are a better snack than chips or cookies. Does your truck have a fridge? You could pack some thngs to start off your week at least.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Grocery stores have ready made foods like rotisserie chicken and pre cut fruits and veggies.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Grocery stores have ready made foods like rotisserie chicken and pre cut fruits and veggies.

That's not always an option when you're on the road. Especially in the midwest and southwest, there are vast stretches where you are very likely to run out of hours with the only thing nearby being a hole in the wall truck stop. DOT wouldn't take "I was looking for healthy food" as an excuse for continuing to drive over hours.

Not to mention, a lot of stores will get pretty *kitten* about rigs parking in their parking lot, unless they are delivering something.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

That's not always an option when you're on the road. Especially in the midwest and southwest, there are vast stretches where you are very likely to run out of hours with the only thing nearby being a hole in the wall truck stop. DOT wouldn't take "I was looking for healthy food" as an excuse for continuing to drive over hours.

Not to mention, a lot of stores will get pretty *kitten* about rigs parking in their parking lot, unless they are delivering something.

Whoops. Sorry about that.
  • juicyfruit10338
    juicyfruit10338 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I second the crock pot and mini fridge. My hubby is an OTR driver and has both of these items. He carries canned fruit and juicy also. A lot of canned fruit now have the pull tab top which is great for traveling. He also stocks up on homemade frozen foods that can be reheated in the crock pot. He carried canned beans which he adds precooked bacon to and cooks in his crook pot. They make crock pot bag that make clean ups easier. Salad mix is also a staple for him. He buys boiled eggs for his salad or just as a snack. The precooked bacon also goes into the salad. He also takes a few small lunchables, fresh fruit , baby carrots, packaged crackers and peanut butter and nuts. As crazy as it sounds the kids go gurts are great for on the road quick breakfast or snacks. He tries to eat one of these snacks while waiting to be loaded/unloaded or when he had to take a 30 minute brake so he isn't starving until dinner. The snacking part can be hard for him when stops for the night and becomes bored or when he has a 34 hour restart. I went out on the road with him for a week and I can understand the dilemma. Good luck and safe travels :):)
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    My husband is a trucker. He just recently got a camp stove so he can cook in the truck. It burns these little bottles of butane that are not expensive at all. He used to cook in a rice cooker or electric pot, but the gas stove is much quicker. He also has a cooler that plugs in so he can keep some things that need refrigeration. He tries to stock up when he leaves and swing by a Walmart to get stuff for the second week out.

Good luck, stay safe out there!
  • juicyfruit10338
    juicyfruit10338 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Not to mention, a lot of stores will get pretty *kitten* about rigs parking in their parking lot, unless they are delivering something.[/quote]

LOL--- I almost spit out my tea when I read the part about DOT.--- After they gave him a huge ticket and shut him down, I bet they would make sure they did a very thorough DOT inspection of the semi and trailer. His log books would also get the same care and attention from the DOT officer . :D

Ugh, the stores don't like rigs to park in their lots to get supplies but sure don't mind rigs bring them their stuff for the stores. I won't get started on that rant. >:)
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Looking to get the word on eating ok while on the road

Crockpots are okay if you have liners so they can be cleaned easily. You can order them on Amazon. The only way I lost weight (45 lbs.) on the road was to eat only once per day. All you can eat salad bar, no dressing, no fried anything, lots of raw veggies, and grilled meat. It took me about two months. I didn't get much exercise walking across the lot either. Too dangerous at night.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ugh, the stores don't like rigs to park in their lots to get supplies but sure don't mind rigs bring them their stuff for the stores. I won't get started on that rant. >:)

Well, it's sometimes the store owners being dicks, and sometimes ignorance (or lack of give a damn) on the driver's part. The places where cars drive and park, are usually only paved with 2 inches of surface mix asphalt (1.5" if the engineer was instructed to be cheap). On the other hand, the delivery lanes in the back are generally going to be at least a 4 inch course of intermediate mix (bigger stone), followed by another two inch course of surface mix on top of that.

Therefore, the driver has two options. Potentially block up a delivery lane, or drive on part of a parking lot that isn't engineered for their weight. Neither of which tend to make store management happy.
  • thegreatbafoon
    thegreatbafoon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have cut all sweets, fruits, bread products, potatoes, soda from my daily eating habits and have successfully lost 30 lbs and 8 pant sizes since March 2016.

It has turned out to be quite easier than expected. My fiancée got me started but it was not till I read a book on eating and diabetes that helped me understand what the food I was eating was doing to my body. No, I do not have diabetes, I was board and picked up a random book one evening.

It can be done my brothers and sisters. I am 50 yrs old and have been out here 27 years.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have cut all sweets, fruits, bread products, potatoes, soda from my daily eating habits and have successfully lost 30 lbs and 8 pant sizes since March 2016.

It has turned out to be quite easier than expected. My fiancée got me started but it was not till I read a book on eating and diabetes that helped me understand what the food I was eating was doing to my body. No, I do not have diabetes, I was board and picked up a random book one evening.

It can be done my brothers and sisters. I am 50 yrs old and have been out here 27 years.

Out of curiosity, what DO you eat? Do you eat in truckstops or take most of your own food with you?