Who's staying sober tonight?

Options
HulkSmashAllDay
HulkSmashAllDay Posts: 5 Member
For a lot of different reasons, some good and some bad, I'll be sober tonight. I've been sober for about the last 11 months. Anybody else trying to stay away from drinking? I've noticed both good and bad things from quitting...

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just had a six ounce glass of wine on Thursday night after over a year without any alcohol. I'm going out tonight. Probably won't have a drink. Or maybe another small glass of wine. But, I definitely want to keep up with little to no alcohol. My husband doesn't drink at all. He never has. Just not his thing. In my 20's I didn't drink for a decade.
  • HulkSmashAllDay
    HulkSmashAllDay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well, of course, mostly good... almost all good. It had gotten pretty bad for me in the past when it came to drinking. I guess a one big thing I miss is a much more exciting social life. Granted, most things tend to be a lot more exciting with alcohol involved, but I miss it all the same.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be a D but what bad things have you noticed???

From what I've read elsewhere, it's usually related to the loss of the perceived "social lubricant" aspect of public drinking. Examples cited have included the loss of masking social anxiety with alcohol, the loss of feeling they fit in at social outings that revolve around alcohol (e.g., clubbing, dinners, etc), and friends who freak out that the sober person is now sober and are, apparently, quite melodramatic about it.

• PamelaW41
    PamelaW41 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Me, completely sober.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I totally fit in at clubs. I love dancing. I don't need alcohol to let go of inhibitions. I don't have strong inhibitions. I don't think anyone notices if I am even drinking or not. And I doubt they care. I actually probably dance better sober. And my conversations are more interesting and intelligent when sober. I have a very low tolerance for alcohol. Like I said I had a six ounce glass of wine and I was feeling that. I probably looked like I was on ecstasy.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I drink now and then, but not that much anymore. Doesn't really fit my lifestyle anymore being a dad.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    I drink now and then, but not that much anymore. Doesn't really fit my lifestyle anymore being a dad.

I drink more being a dad lol
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Pick a night, any night. I'm sober.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I am...I went to Whole Foods. I'm watching a documentary and eating. But I just found out my ex might have a new girlfriend and I'm very tempted to go to drink now...
  • arditarose
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I am...I went to Whole Foods. I'm watching a documentary and eating. But I just found out my ex might have a new girlfriend and I'm very tempted to go to drink now...

Why?

Why? Because I've been sitting at home alone for days on end. And now I'm hurt.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If we're talking booze yep i be sober.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Always sober here!
  • kate141987
    kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Iv always really enjoyed a good drink but for some reason my hangovers now last about 3 days and I feel awful
    So I'm definitely staying on the sober train for the most part
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I can't afford to drink alcohol.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I decided to give drinking a rest for a bit. It's just not fitting in with my goals at the moment.

The bad part (that I've noticed) is people's reaction/response to me not wanting a drink.

I'm too old for people to think I'm pregnant, so, it's not that kind of fun reaction, it's more of a "what's wrong with you" type thing.

Or,

"Well, if you're not ordering a drink then I'm not ordering a drink."

It just adds unnecessary drama.

Sheesh.

• arditarose
    Options
    I decided to give the drinking a rest for a bit. It's just not fitting in with my goals at the moment.

The bad part (that I've noticed) is people's reaction/response to me not wanting a drink.

I'm too old for people to think I'm pregnant, so, it's not that kind of fun reaction, it's more of a "what's wrong with you" type thing.

Or,

"Well, if you're not ordering a drink then I'm not ordering a drink."

It just adds unnecessary drama.

Sheesh.

Yeah, whatever. People will get it eventually and not question. When I'm not drinking I'm like, leave me alone-I want to be ripped. You have fun.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I very seldom drink. I, unfortunately, live day to day seeing the effects of alcoholism in someone that I love. I know that I can control my drinking (I average 4-6 drinks per year) but I don't want to be hypocritical or send mixed signals...
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I visit different bars most weekends, but don't drink alcohol. Still have a great time.