**Ladies**

Options
The past few days my weight wasn't going in the direction it should.
I knew this was mathematically impossible because not only have I been eating at a calorie deficit but I have also been working out pretty hard. This morning I got my period (which shows up when it feels like it) every time I get it I put on about 4 pounds and then it goes away. I understand this happens to most women during their periods (my PT has explained all)
I was wondering how much (if any) weight any other women on here put on during that horrible time of the month??
Mostly to make myself feel better lol

Replies

• OctoberOblivion
    OctoberOblivion Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've only been doing my weight loss journey this month, but my period was the worst time to check. It sent me up five-six pounds, and I cried every night about it, but after it was over, I lost all of that plus some!
  • jodieelol
    jodieelol Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Last month I was up 6 pounds and by the end of it I lost the six pounds plus another two.
    It's just so disheartening when you've been working so hard for a silly period to make it feel like you aren't where you should be.
    I put too much emphasis on my scales. I know this. I know I'm doing the right things.
    But those damn scales on my period still get me, every time.
    I've been on my weight loss journey since September last year
    Good luck with yours :)
  • OctoberOblivion
    OctoberOblivion Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel you! I've become a compulsive scale checker..but I don't feel like the number on the scale should define me! Still and yet, if I see it go up an ounce, it's a thorn in my side.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I actually lose weight during my period; it's ovulation that makes me hold water weight. I hold up to three pounds extra during ovulation and then lose three to five pounds during menstruation. It sucks because I'm trying to maintain my weight and lately my cycle has been out of whack so I'm waiting for my next period to see how I should be adjusting my calories.
  • 44to44
    44to44 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I don't gain during PMS usually (unless I stuff my face - haha *sniff*) , but I usually put on 5-6 lbs right after I start and it can stick around up to 3 days. Yes, it's infuriating, but I know at this point it's not a "real" gain. I'm a compulsive scale-checker too - just keep reminding yourself it's not real!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I can gain around 4 - 6 pounds and this also includes if I have had more carb laden foods (i.e. cravings) that either results in more sodium and/or just more carbs in general that also cause water weight gain.

Usually the day I start or the day after I am back down to my normal trend. I have my trends down pat so that I know which days of the menstrual cycle are causing this issue for me and it is not just period day, I also gain during ovulation.
  • jodieelol
    jodieelol Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stay off my scales until it's gone, it puts me in such a bad mood.
    It shouldn't, I need to remember it's likely just water weight.
    Thanks ladies :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I gain 2-3# during ovulation. Ovaries suck.
  • fitgirldc
    fitgirldc Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I usually gain about 4 lbs but when I take otc Diuretics I don't retain any water wt during that time.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Usually somewhere around 4-7lb for me, but more if I'm eating extra sodium, working out strenuously, or drinking (because duh, cramps, where's my booze? ^.^). So sometimes it's up by like 10lb. The scale is a tricksy bish who is not to be trusted.
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I usually put on 4-5lb and it stays for a whole week sometimes longer! Its a joke lol but usually by the time it goes iv lost abit more too :)
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Ive been on the shot for a few years now but even with it I know its around that TOM because I suddenly gain 5-6lbs over night and hate everybody. Lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    2-6lbs

I've been at this for awhile and understand the fluctuations but they still make me want to smash things. People think 4lbs of water weight is nothing. For me it means literally not being able to fit in my jeans. My muscle definition will disappear in my arms and lower abs...plus I'm cranky as *kitten*.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Around 5lbs fluctuation but it's around ovulation and in the run up to menstruation

I don't sweat it ...@arditarose, just buy a bigger pair of jeans or have a couple of relaxed fit options. I find that crankiness is resolved somewhat with chocolate, red wine, and people, generally male people who share my house, keeping the *aardvark* out of my face ;)

lol. I'm gonna die.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I took Plan B this month and had the worst swing I've ever had. I went from being puffed up and 142lbs back to 135.6 with hip bones and veins, overnight.
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-5lbs right before period and it hangs around for a week or so. I'm also bloated and don't have my "regular" routine so generally am uncomfortable- but as someone else noted, chocolate and red wine and loose pants help. I thought I was the only single handedly supporting the chocolate industry once a month.
  • tmarple93
    tmarple93 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I gain between 3 to 6 pounds the week before mine and get seriously bloated and feel terrible and my appetite increases so much that I'm literelly just constantly hungry until my period is over lol. Then the week of my period, my hunger is significantly less and my weight goes back down by the end of the week. This is usually when I see a drop in weight. Like if I started my period at 136 I'll get up to 140 them when it's over my weight drops to 134. It's so weird. Lol.
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    tmarple93 wrote: »
    I gain between 3 to 6 pounds the week before mine and get seriously bloated and feel terrible and my appetite increases so much that I'm literelly just constantly hungry until my period is over lol. Then the week of my period, my hunger is significantly less and my weight goes back down by the end of the week. This is usually when I see a drop in weight. Like if I started my period at 136 I'll get up to 140 them when it's over my weight drops to 134. It's so weird. Lol.
    My weight gain also goes away basically overnight once my period is almost over. Concur with the it's weird comment lol
  • troopertits
    troopertits Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I gain probably about 5 pounds when I'm on my period. It bums me out so much and I try to remember it's only temporary but damnit! It sucks!