fear of flying

Options
_A_Real_Mouthful
_A_Real_Mouthful Posts: 4,731 Member
its always bothered me. anybody else terrified when the plane takes off?

https://youtu.be/t9I5MahNSg0

Replies

• Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Soar, my friend.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Flying is easy. Landing can be a *kitten*.
  • allaboutthemshrugs
    allaboutthemshrugs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have only flown twice my entire life. The first time I had a panic attack the whole flight there and the whole flight back. Not many panic attacks, but one giant one that lasted the duration of the flight.

Oh but I learned...second time was like 5 years later...

I went to my Dr before hand told him of my "phobia" and he was kind enough to give me enough Ativan to render me unconscious for both there and back.

Safe to say, I pretty much drive, walk, roller skate, run, bus or train it anywhere I need to go.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I used to be. I'd sit entire flights waiting for the crash to happen. tried getting drunk once...bad move. Ended up with drugs but man they gave me bizarre dreams and made me feel hungover. Then went to therapy and married into a family with lots of pilots and figured if they can fly a bazillion times and never have an issue I should be OK with my handful of flights a year.
  • oluseyiola
    oluseyiola Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Xanax. changed my life forever. It doesn't make you useless, just very, very calm.
  • Thisnameischosen_
    Thisnameischosen_ Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    WHAT!!? :'(:'(
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Don't cry for him. He's just doing his thing.

bjqajqviqqcs.jpeg
  • Thisnameischosen_
    Options
    Idk.. all the posts in here have been awesomed.. and someone keeps amesoming all my stupid posts.. I feel like he's lurking.
    Maybe I'm just in denial though :'(
  • Thisnameischosen_
    edited July 2016
    Options
    More awesomes :o
  • ejinvt
    ejinvt Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Or, maybe you're just awesome. ;)
  • Thisnameischosen_
    Options
    I gave that a 'like' just so we can be sure.
  • Thisnameischosen_
    Options
    Insightful!?^ Man my head hurts.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hiked into the remote mountain town of Stehekin, WA, with my girlfriend. The town is not connected to the road system, so the only ways to get there are to hike (I think the shortest route is 19 miles?), by boat, or by float plane. We took the Chelan Lakeshore Trail and did it in two days. The Lady of the Lake ferry takes about 6 hours to go back to civilization and Chelan Sea Planes does it in 25 minutes. Seemed like an easy choice.

Our pilot must have been about 85 years old. Somebody had given him a cinnamon sticky bun just before our flight out. Must have been a really good bun because he was a lot more interested in it than in the controls of the plane. So at one point he dropped it, and then slumped over to find it under his chair. I thought he'd had a heart attack. I look down 1,500 feet to the lake, look at Beth, thinking "we're going to die in this rickety tin can..." He found the bun right when some turbulence hit. I was squeezing her hand hard enough to almost break it. Our pilot is mumbling about bears on the mountain.

The worst part was immediately before we landed, watching the lake get bigger and bigger through the little plane's windshield, the plane tilted sideways for the turn. I was thinking it's been a good life and I'm not ready but it's going to end in seconds. I threw the door open when we touched down and ran to firm land.

Never again. I'll walk for three days, I will not get back in that swamp jumper.

24836919695_d684724e4c_o_d.jpg
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I just flew in an plane at nearly 47 years old. Ironically I never landed in plane, I jumped out of it...