New to dealing with type 2 diabetes

Options
Hi I'm Debbie and looking for a friend here. I just found out a week ago I am now type 2 diabetic. I work a desk job so through the years I have put on a lot of pounds being I do not get a lot of activity in daily. I have started walking twice a day and parking further away then normal. I want to get more active as my body will allow. MFP has been a great help with keeping track of my carbohydrates and calories. Trying to find someone doing the same thing.

Replies

• phrunch
    phrunch Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi debbie! I'm not in the same boat but I want to wish you good luck. Those small steps will add up to a big difference.
  • as5811
    as5811 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm pre-diabetic. Have changed my diet & become more active than I was. Good for you in making your own changes. It's hard at first but gets better.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I am watching my carbs and calories. I have pcos and am insulin resistant. I have been trying lots of new recipes and have an open diary.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I'm pre-diabetic, and the doctor says it isn't really my diet that's the problem. I just need to become more active.

I'm doing 30 minutes of treadmill 2 to 3 times per week, and also working a bit outdoors in my garden like I did some years ago.

Recording meals on MFP also gives an indication of how many calories were consumed and if I should attempt to get in a bit of extra exercise that day or during that week.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Hi Debbie. I just found out this past week that I have T2D and I too have a desk job and low activity during the. I am going to see a nutritionist to help with diet and start exercising more. You are not alone...Friend me if you like and we can support each other. Connie
  • WildlifeCoach
    WildlifeCoach Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Debbie,
    I was diagnosed with T2D about 3 weeks ago. I'm using MFP to try to get my weight down and keep track of carbs. It's s whole new way of thinking for me. Let's share ideas as they come up. My insight for today is that a serving of strawberries has less carbs than a serving of fresh peaches.
    BTW - I'm Ruth from MN.
  • andrea_nichol
    andrea_nichol Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it is to be active with a desk job. Walking twice a day is a great start! Do you drink anything with sugar? Sometimes cutting out pop and juice can have a big impact on your blood sugar. Good luck!
  • faithin2000
    faithin2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have T2D as well as Crohns. ..both battle against each other! Just started here a week ago...as well as going to the gym. Looking for ward to making changes...something has to give :)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Hi Debbie,
    I was diagnosed with T2D about 3 weeks ago. I'm using MFP to try to get my weight down and keep track of carbs. It's s whole new way of thinking for me. Let's share ideas as they come up. My insight for today is that a serving of strawberries has less carbs than a serving of fresh peaches.
    BTW - I'm Ruth from MN.

I've found MFP to be quite a revelation as to the nutritional values of the foods we eat. Watching those numbers add up is quite shocking some days.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say 'Hi debbie, stick with it'. I dont do 'friends' on MFP but keep in touch through the message board threads, otherwise I'd send you an invite. Good luck.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You should check out the Low Carb Daily group. Awesome information from many people who are diabetic or have other health problems! This is an amazing group of people who are very supportive and well informed. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get a cardiologist to monitor you. A baseline now that you have been told you have Type 2 would be good to have. Heart issues in recent years have been understood to be a comorbidity to diabetes. My grandmother fought Type 2 for YEARS, not too well I might add (purely her choice), and ended up with CAD. So keeping your diabetes under control can help your heart a lot too!

{this is not medical advice, its just what I would do based on all I've read}
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hello Debbie! I was just recently diagnosed as type 2. It is a constant struggle. Friend me so we can support each other!