Healthy cereal

Options
Hey everyone ! I was just wondering if anyone had healthy cereal suggestions I usually eat smart start but would like to try other healthy cereals !

Replies

• merryday11
    merryday11 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like Kashi GoLean (the plain stuff, not the fancier varieties). Very filling, a little sweet, great with blueberries this time of year, with milk or sometimes with yoghurt for dessert. I also sometimes add chocolate chips for a pseudo cookie experience.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Eat the cereal you like, and eat a variety of foods. No single food is healthy or unhealthy, there are just better and poorer diets. It's all about context and dosage.

I eat a lot of porridge with butter - rotate between oatmeal, millet, polenta and semolina.

This.
    I just went through a box of cinnamon toast crunch...it was SO good! :)
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Porridge is kinda top of the list for me
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Rice Chex or Cheerios or Rice Krispies and then I add blueberries and banana and milk...YUM. I don't really like sugared cereals anymore.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Check out a brand called Lydia's. They have a variety of high quality sprouted cereals for you to enjoy.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I eat a homemade cereal that consists of pork rinds, cinnamon, walnuts, pecans, and heavy cream. vOv
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Huge bowl of granola with an added banana for me this morning.

Would struggle to think of an "unhealthy" cereal though in context of an overall diet.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Well healthy cereal is really a misnomer... But god do I love cereal, it is just not a filling thing to eat for a breakfast meal for me. And I would like less carbs in mine and more protein, I am always hungry 1 hour later after eating the the cereal portion you can eat without eating 2 - 3 cups of it..LOL

But my cereal of choice Special K Protein (flakes) which is 10 grams of protein and with added milk up to 14 grams or so.

I do love granola (actually a new foodie to add to my list but not the lowest calorie or best thing I can eat for my waistline), but I can easily get out of control on granola..LOL
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Best to go for something as unprocessed as possible for something to set you up for the morning without the 10am urge to eat your own arm. I'm a fan of either porridge or unsweetened muesli.
  • ku1014
    ku1014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice everyone !! I have alot of new things to try!
  • Rosefern1
    Rosefern1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Post Great Grains cranberry almond or blueberry
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has a different opinion on what healthy is. I eat Apple Cinnamon Cheerios every morning for breakfast. They're not too bad nutrition wise and they are also delicious. :)
  • ku1014
    Options
    Yeah you're right! I never know what to go by I try to watch calories but I also know to watch sodium, sugars and other things so I wanted to know more of what to go for to not pick a totally non healthy cereal
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    ku1014 wrote: »
    Yeah you're right! I never know what to go by I try to watch calories but I also know to watch sodium, sugars and other things so I wanted to know more of what to go for to not pick a totally non healthy cereal

If that's what you're looking at, I wish you luck. They should just rename breakfast cereals to "dessert in the morning". Almost all of them are sugar loaded to hell amd back, even the "healthy" ones.
  • ku1014
    Options
    Ok thank you now I know to change to something else
  • laurajeanholly
    laurajeanholly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love All-Bran Flakes. Not the most exciting cereal, but you could always add some fruit if you like. I enjoy it plain though. It's low calorie, low sugar, high fiber. It makes me feel like I'm starting my day off right!
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My faves right now are Special K Protein and Fiber One (original/regular). I add blueberries to both. If I have oatmeal it's always the quick oats and add any combination of berries, half banana and/or sliced almonds or chopped walnuts
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What is healthy to you? Take a look at your macros/micros to see if you're low on anything and search cereals that might help you reach that goal.

Or simply use some of your discretionary calories to eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Personally, no cereal is right for me. Because it does nothing for me volume, macro, calorie, or satiety wise. It's really all personal preference.