Decrease fat %, then gain muscle

Options
Does anyone have any advice on decreasing body fat percentage. I feel like I'm doing everything like eating the right amount of calories and exercise. What would be the best way to reduce my body fat from 25 to 15%? Any nutritional advice?

Replies

• phrunch
    phrunch Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When you say you feel like you're doing everything... what does that mean?
    And how long have you been doing it (seriously)?

The best way would be to eat less than you put in and make some kind of small effort to use your muscles while you do it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice on decreasing body fat percentage. I feel like I'm doing everything like eating the right amount of calories and exercise. What would be the best way to reduce my body fat from 25 to 15%? Any nutritional advice?

You're female? Bi think it's time you researched body fat cos 15% is competition territory eg temporary

How are you measuring BF?
  • Sued0nim
    edited July 2016
    Options
    vq1ojzwhhgkk.jpeg

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Firstly, if you are female then reaching 15% is not a reasonable goal unless you are going to be competing. In any case you shouldn't maintain this percentage for a long time as most women lose their periods below 18%.

Secondly, to lose fat you should have a calorie deficit. If you intend on maintaining it long term i suggest you learn to count calories correctly (by weight) and slow decrease them over a long period of time. You can begin incorporating strength training now. Once you've reached a desired body fat percentage you can begin reverse dieting and training specifically for hypertrophy.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Apparently my body fat percentage is 27% but my bmi is obese class II. That doesn't seem right?
  • jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Now I'm confused - my Omron handheld bf% analyser puts me at 15.7% body fat. I'm 18, female. Its unreasonable for me to lose 0.7% more? I thought it'd be okay to hit at least 14.5%.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    jmidd97 wrote: »
    Now I'm confused - my Omron handheld bf% analyser puts me at 15.7% body fat. I'm 18, female. Its unreasonable for me to lose 0.7% more? I thought it'd be okay to hit at least 14.5%.

Your analyser is wrong

Bio-impedence has a high margin of error of up to 13%

You don't know your BF%

But what is your physique goal?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yeah Bio-impedence sucks. My Fitbit Aria consistently has me at 12 to 14% bodyfat; I don't believe it for a second. The only thing it's useful for is an overall trend. I'm 5'3" and 108 pounds; I'd guess my bodyfat is closer to 21%.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Apparently my body fat percentage is 27% but my bmi is obese class II. That doesn't seem right?

Unless you got 27% from a DEXA scan, that number is likely way off.

My at home BIA scale has had me at 27-29% ever since I got it, two years of lifting and many pounds ago.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Is there any reason you're not trying to do both at the same time? More muscle = more calories burned every day.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    Is there any reason you're not trying to do both at the same time? More muscle = more calories burned every day.

Because it's physically impossible at worst, and extremely slow at best. Most people want fast results and fail because they don't see progress.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Because it's physically impossible at worst, and extremely slow at best. Most people want fast results and fail because they don't see progress.

Well, it's not physically impossible as I've been doing that, but I do agree it's extremely slow [I've only gained an inch of muscle on my forearms after a month of hard work].
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Unless you got 27% from a DEXA scan, that number is likely way off.

My at home BIA scale has had me at 27-29% ever since I got it, two years of lifting and many pounds ago.

It was a calculator online. I have quite a small waist and as that seems to the main measurement used I imagine that's why my body fat percentage seems low.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

it's not impossible.....just slow.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Please read how I phrased it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Please read how I phrased it.

I did...physically impossible at worst slow at best...and that phase is wrong at worst and misleading at best.

because it isn't impossible unless you can't do a progressive load program...
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

Well, it's not physically impossible as I've been doing that, but I do agree it's extremely slow [I've only gained an inch of muscle on my forearms after a month of hard work].

One inch gain on forearms is a very, very significant increase. A corresponding increase across the whole body would be like David Banner --> Hulk type progression.