Why are 5x5 workouts good?

Options
JimbobJames99
JimbobJames99 Posts: 13 Member
edited July 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I'm probably considered a novice lifter as I've only been lifting for a few month solidly. I follow a 5x5 Routine which focuses on compound lifts, out of curiosity why is this favoured for begginers to build muscle rather than lower rep exercises?

Was just interested, thanks.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    5x5 isn't high rep
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    It focuses on basic compound movements, moderate reps, and linear progression, thereby building strength fast and efficiently without the added injury risk of going for 1-2 rep PRs before your muscles and tendons have adapted to the strain. The gains will eventually be much harder to come by, but for now enjoy it.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The typical 5x5 routines that are suggested around here are designed to provide a full body workout, via the compound lifts, that includes progressive load.

They are not the only way a beginner can get started lifting, but they are a pretty universally agreed upon safe and efficient way to do so. They require no additional help/intervention from a trainer to get started.

The focus on compound lifts ensures that your musculature develops in a balanced manner, which is ideal to help prevent or mitigate potential injuries.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic, but why are there only 5 lifts? I can't imagine doing only 5 exercises and doing the same ones every workout.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but why are there only 5 lifts? I can't imagine doing only 5 exercises and doing the same ones every workout.
    Most people are only looking to work on just the minimal strength work they can get away with.
    Just like some people who don't like to do cardio, but do it anyway because of benefits, something that's effective, simple to do and doesn't take a lot of time appeals to them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• phrunch
    phrunch Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Along with what everyone else mentioned, 5x5 has the added benefit of seeing improvement each time you go to the gym. It's easier to stay motivated (for most people) when they see the numbers go up.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

It can be helpful if you don't have a lot of time. That said a program like stronglifts 5x5 only has you doing 3 exercises for 5 sets of 5 reps in a workout. While there is a total of 5 exercises in the program only Squats are repeated every workout. You alternate the workouts so one week will be ABA and the next will be BAB (again with only the squat being done on both A & B days).
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    5x5 is a great program and will provide far more benefit to a beginner as opposed to some insane 19 day split where you break up arm day, chest day, hamstring day, left anterior delt day, and eye day.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Focusing on compound lifts for strength help hit all muscle groups. It is not boring as intensity (weight on the bar) is increasing every workout. I find that doing a lot of different accessory work in a deficit is just a waste of time. I save that for maintenance/surplus.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    illyich wrote: »
    5x5 is a great program and will provide far more benefit to a beginner as opposed to some insane 19 day split where you break up arm day, chest day, hamstring day, left anterior delt day, and eye day.
    Eye day is the absolute killer, IMO. ;)
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. 5x5 is the wrong program for me as I'm a runner. The program only uses 5 exercises. Other than a squat and deadlift, there is nothing else for the lower body and core. I need way more glute, hip, leg, and core strengthening than 5x5 offers.

But it's a good beginner program, just not adequate for those who participate in certain sports.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. 5x5 is the wrong program for me as I'm a runner. The program only uses 5 exercises. Other than a squat and deadlift, there is nothing else for the lower body and core. I need way more glute, hip, leg, and core strengthening than 5x5 offers.

But it's a good beginner program, just not adequate for those who participate in certain sports.
    I see what you're saying, but you can add any exercise you want to the programme.

• Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Except OHP and row also work your core if you do them correctly and heavy enough.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Bmoremama wrote: »

Except OHP and row also work your core if you do them correctly and heavy enough.

I say this not sarcastically or with any rude intent. It's anatomically not possible for a shoulder press and or lat row to work the transversus abdominis, rectus, external and internal obliques. Stabilizing the spine, which is one of the primary functions of the ab muscle group, is not the same as strengthening and building the muscle. Everything we do engages the abs: breathing, walking, running, standing. Truly wish just breathing was enough to work my abs--I hate ab work.