emotional eating?

I tend to over eat junk food when i am down or stressed, by overeat i mean i dont stop eating until i feel sick not just have a sneaky chocolate bar. I think i am struggling with depression atm, does anyone have any advice? I was doing so well with my dieting now i just feel ashamed!

Replies

• Breana112402
    Breana112402 Posts: 3 Member
    I remember when I was eating a hole bunch of Chocolate and drinking Soda's alot and just eating and eating all the time
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    1: Don't keep it around, for any reason.
    2: Throw away what you do have.
    3: Literally just stop. This will sound dickish, but eating requires effort. You have to lift food, put it in your mouth, chew, and swallow. Non-action will net you better results than hand-wringing.
  • phrunch
    phrunch Posts: 115 Member
    Have you talked to any professionals about your possible depression? Addressing that may make the emotional eating feel less heavy.
  • KrystalMaze1
    KrystalMaze1 Posts: 16 Member
    3: Literally just stop. This will sound dickish, but eating requires effort. You have to lift food, put it in your mouth, chew, and swallow. Non-action will net you better results than hand-wringing.

I managed to stop myself and have just thrown it away :)
    phrunch wrote: »
    Have you talked to any professionals about your possible depression? Addressing that may make the emotional eating feel less heavy.

I have been on and off anti depressants for the past 5 years because i hate them, they make me worse and horrific side effects so i am avoiding going back to the doctor because they throw pills at me and its a year waiting list for CBT (good old nhs right)

i just feel like i have to try overcome this on my own as i know im getting further into a cycle
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Eat foods like pineapples and mint gum to alter the last of the foods you crave. I'm like you and stress/depress eat, it's a bad cycle. Got to keep them away. If you can switch that habit to exercise that would work in your favor. Also having prepared healthy foods in the fridge will help you. Yogurt dips and veggies, cut up fruit, fruit infused water, salad and a protein o snack on.
  • KrystalMaze1
    KrystalMaze1 Posts: 16 Member
    ChantalGG wrote: »
    Eat foods like pineapples and mint gum to alter the last of the foods you crave. I'm like you and stress/depress eat, it's a bad cycle. Got to keep them away. If you can switch that habit to exercise that would work in your favor. Also having prepared healthy foods in the fridge will help you. Yogurt dips and veggies, cut up fruit, fruit infused water, salad and a protein o snack on.

thank you i will try that!
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member

When it comes to mental illness, it's not very helpful to say "just stop".

I agree with the high volume, low calorie snacks pre-prepared. Lately I've been a huge fan of those 100-calorie popcorn bags - they make tons of food and don't really hurt calorie cutting. I know it doesn't always help but for the record, there's no reason to be ashamed! It's so easy to fall off the horse and then decide you might as well give up because you already messed up, but no matter how badly you overeat tomorrow is a new day. By trying you're already doing more than so many other people in the world, even if you stumble that just means you may have to wait a few more days to hit that goal :) You can do it!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Mentali wrote: »

When it comes to mental illness, it's not very helpful to say "just stop".

I agree with the high volume, low calorie snacks pre-prepared. Lately I've been a huge fan of those 100-calorie popcorn bags - they make tons of food and don't really hurt calorie cutting. I know it doesn't always help but for the record, there's no reason to be ashamed! It's so easy to fall off the horse and then decide you might as well give up because you already messed up, but no matter how badly you overeat tomorrow is a new day. By trying you're already doing more than so many other people in the world, even if you stumble that just means you may have to wait a few more days to hit that goal :) You can do it!

vOv it worked wonders for me (I spent several years on SSRIs and Lithium), and am still quite convinced that I was misdiagnosed. Supposedly that stuff doesn't just go away, so either I'm a medical anomaly, or my doctor was an idiot. I'm banking on the latter.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Just knowing why you are overeating is half the battle! Keeping a food diary has been so eyeopening for me. Log not only your food but add in the notes why you think you went over your calories.

You've got this, you know what happens when you overeat or eat junk food. Remember the feeling, remember the guilt if you have it and then get back on track. Next time you feel stressed maybe you won't go down the same path because you remember the feelings.

Again...you've got this!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    ChantalGG wrote: »

thank you i will try that!

I brush floss and mouthwash so I don't want to ruin it with food before bed
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Find another outlet for your stress. When you're stressed recognize it, and do something to de-stress such as exercising, mediating, deep breathing, etc.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Find another outlet for your stress. When you're stressed recognize it, and do something to de-stress such as exercising, mediating, deep breathing, etc.

This. I turned to exercise. I literally run away from my problems, and it's been a life saver.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Keep it all out of your house. See a doctor about the possibility of getting on meds. Realize that some meds like paxil can cause weight loss.