21 Day Fix

Options
Starting the 21 day fix tomorrow! Super excited about it! Looking for anyone else doing it so we can motivate each other !

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Not sure what it is but best of luck.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just looked this up and it's typical horse crap to prey on people. Seeing pictures of pretty thin people saying they lost 10 lbs? In 21 days? That's over 3 lbs a week. Do it if it's nutritious but do not expect their bogus promises.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Starting the 21 day fix tomorrow! Super excited about it! Looking for anyone else doing it so we can motivate each other !

Good luck, but the 21 Day Fix is a fad diet meant to take you money with their products.

I want to motivate you by telling you it is 100% guaranteed you will lose weight if you eat at a calorie deficit, no special gadgets or diets necessary. :)
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Its a good workout program but don't expect to lose the amounts of weight they specified in the ad in 21 days. I have completed this program and 21 DFX
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Its a good workout program but don't expect to lose the amounts of weight they specified in the ad in 21 days. I have completed this program and 21 DFX

Agreed. When I first started losing weight I did this program along with C25K because I wanted a variety of workouts. I didn't use the containers but I used a makeshift version while weighing my food on a scale. I found had I followed their plan I'd only be taking in 900 to 1100 calories per day which is far too little. You don't need Shakeology either. The workouts do work though just like any other workout, as long as you're eating at a deficit you will lose weight. The program isn't necessary but it's not a "scam" either.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I think it's an OK way for you to learn about portion control but the trick will be doing it without those colorful little containers. It takes about 30 days to form any good habit so 21 days is a bit lacking.

That said, fad or not, if it causes you to eat less & stick to it, good for you! Use it in conjunction with the MFP food log. Just because the food fits in that container does not make it the best choice.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I don't do the meal plan. I tried it last year but I really need something lower carb due to health issues and it is way too low fat to satiate me. But the workouts are good. I can almost always muster up the motivation for 30 minutes. I like the way most moves combine multiple muscle groups so I feel like I pack a lot in to a short amount of time.
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I wanted to set my MFP food diary macros to align with the 21 Day Fix meal plan. Has anyone already done this and, if so, what macros did you use. I know the protein % is higher and the carb % lower than the general setting MFP provides. Thanks for any help! :)
  • Maxematics
    Options
    I wanted to set my MFP food diary macros to align with the 21 Day Fix meal plan. Has anyone already done this and, if so, what macros did you use. I know the protein % is higher and the carb % lower than the general setting MFP provides. Thanks for any help! :)

It's around a 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein split.
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options

It's around a 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein split.[/quote]

Thanks!!
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am on the food portion of this program right now, just starting my 3rd week. I did not purchase the set, I just looked up the calorie ranges and cup sizes on pinterest and I'm doing my own lifting program + cardio at the gym. I have calorie counted on mfp for a couple years and know how to use a scale and lose weight that way. I guess I was just kind bored and my neighbors were doing it and I joined them for fun. So far in two weeks I have lost 5.5 lbs. I am at a healthy weight so that is a lot for me in two weeks. During those two weeks I have had several "cheats" from the program - my son's birthday, eating out several times, etc., but still have lost some weight.

There are some pros and cons to the program I have seen so far:

Pros: 1) It has encouraged me to eat A LOT more veggies and fruit than I usually do. 2) it has forced me to cook with less fat that usual, and it turns out I didn't need as much as I was using, 3) it is great for people just starting out with portion control who think using a scale is too over the top, 4) my friend's love the workout program. I have gone with my friend to the gym to lift heavier weights, but she was too intimidated and always just did cardio machines. With this program she is finally strength training a few days a week.

Cons: 1) The calorie brackets are based solely on weight and don't take into account height, activity level, etc. Since I am at a healthy weight, it gave me 1,200-1,500 calories. I am 5'8, active with my kids and lift heavy weights. A 1,200 calorie diet is about a 1,000 calorie a day deficit for me. So I added an extra protein serving to my plan to get me up to 1,350 calories (tracked a few days on mfp). That still left me very hungry all day. 2) It is of course not as accurate as weighing with a scale. I can see how someone could cheat the system by overfilling the containers or something. You can't really lie with a scale. 3) It has you working out 7 days a week, and even twice a day in the last week. That can be too much for beginners, and definitely is too much for me since I am lifting heavier weights, 4) you only get to eat "clean" foods except for 3 days a week you can swap a carb for a "cheat", like tiny dessert. That may be good for some people in the short term, but you can't eat only clean foods forever. There are holidays, birthdays, etc. and you need to be able to eat foods you enjoy sometimes.

This is my last week of the program and I have shifted my calories up to the 1,500-1,800 range. I will still be in a 300-600 calorie deficit, but that is much more reasonable for me. I do think it is a template I can follow to stay in a deficit or maintenance without using a scale and eyeballing measurements. I will probably do another round or two of 21 days at 1,500-1,800 until I get to my goal, and then switch to maintenance. However, I will continue to incorporate meals or desserts that are "off plan" and "not clean" because that is how I want to live. Eating "clean" foods 90% of the time can help me stay within my calorie goals without measuring everything so that I can eat fun foods every once in a while without worrying about it.
  • erider0505
    erider0505 Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @dmt4641 - Today is my first day starting 21 Fix and I found your post really helpful. I have followed LCHF diets in the past, but was looking for something that was more sustainable for the long run and to just improve my overall health, so I decided to give 21 Day Fix a try. I am glad I read your post.
  • dmt4641
    Options
    erider0505 wrote: »
    @dmt4641 - Today is my first day starting 21 Fix and I found your post really helpful. I have followed LCHF diets in the past, but was looking for something that was more sustainable for the long run and to just improve my overall health, so I decided to give 21 Day Fix a try. I am glad I read your post.

I'm glad my post was helpful. Don't be afraid to adjust your calories if you need to like I did. 1,000 a day deficit was way too low for me and I needed an extra portion of protein for my weight lifting goals. Good luck on the program! My friends had lost 7 lbs that last time I checked in with them.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I can't decide how I feel about the 21 Day Fix. I hate hate hate the idea of paying for a weight loss/meal plan when you can do it for free using MFP, but at the same time I do like to see people succeed and become interested in health and fitness. I've read that you can buy knock off versions of the containers at Wal-Mart, or go on Pinterest to find what you need for cheap. And there are free workouts on YouTube; not sure why it's necessary to pay a fortune for these specific ones. But again, since it's getting people moving, I try to keep my mouth shut about it in social situations (although it's hard sometimes).

I do take issue with the "coaches" who are constantly pushing and advertising these programs on social media, and who have no actual health and fitness training. I have a Facebook friend who is a Beachbody coach and is constantly posting selfies with her Beachbody smoothie shaker. Plus she has posted videos of herself doing the workouts with incredibly poor form - she shouldn't be "coaching" anyone until she can do it properly herself.
  • dmt4641
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I can't decide how I feel about the 21 Day Fix. I hate hate hate the idea of paying for a weight loss/meal plan when you can do it for free using MFP, but at the same time I do like to see people succeed and become interested in health and fitness. I've read that you can buy knock off versions of the containers at Wal-Mart, or go on Pinterest to find what you need for cheap. And there are free workouts on YouTube; not sure why it's necessary to pay a fortune for these specific ones. But again, since it's getting people moving, I try to keep my mouth shut about it in social situations (although it's hard sometimes).

I do take issue with the "coaches" who are constantly pushing and advertising these programs on social media, and who have no actual health and fitness training. I have a Facebook friend who is a Beachbody coach and is constantly posting selfies with her Beachbody smoothie shaker. Plus she has posted videos of herself doing the workouts with incredibly poor form - she shouldn't be "coaching" anyone until she can do it properly herself.

For some people, this is how they get started. My friends like the challenges their BB coach puts out and I guess there is some sort of motivation in that. But yes, the Shakeology thing drives me crazy, like that is THE KEY to weight loss. My friends are paying like $120 a month in Shakeology shakes or something crazy like that. I have a $50 tub of quality whey protein that lasts me several months with daily smoothies.

I did 21 day fix basically for free (with my own workouts). Just used pinterest and measuring cups, then later bought a knock off of the containers for $9.
  • Maxematics
    Options

Yeah, the MLM aspect of Beachbody lowers the credibility of the company as a whole and is usually what makes people here roll their eyes whenever they even read the name Beachbody. Regardless, the workout programs can be pretty solid and as long as it gets someone moving that's what counts. As a sidenote, even though I've tried several Beachbody workouts, I will state that I've never actually had to pay for any of them. Anyone who is fairly Internet savvy can find the programs for free.
  • erider0505
    erider0505 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @dmt4641 - may I ask what Protein Powder you use? I did buy Shakeology and honestly, I am not crazy at all about the taste or the price.
  • dmt4641
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% whey in Double Chocolate. It is a few dollars cheaper at my grocery store than on Amazon. I haven't tried the other flavors but the reviews are good.

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI

It dissolves very well in water or milk with a shaker cup, or I add it to smoothies with frozen berries, almond milk, some coconut oil or PB if I need some more fats.
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    We have also used the Optimum Nutrition (in French Vanilla Creme) and my husband loves it. I have since moved on to Vega One Chocolate (for the 6 servings of greens per shake) and my whole family loves it when mixed with Almond Milk and half a frozen banana. It's nice and chocolatey but I'm not going to lie, it does have a bit of a gritty texture but it doesn't bother us at all, especially with the banana. Closest to Shakeology that I've been able to find.