Tasty and Fresh on a cheap dollar and calorie budget, any suggestions?

Options
shiroyashida24
shiroyashida24 Posts: 19 Member
Im always on the lookout for recipes that are very low calorie and low carb but that also dont break the bank. Im on a low budget but still want yo eat healthy. I try to make everything from scratch using fresh ingredients but ive hit a wall in finding new recipes any suggestions?

Replies

• janvcooper
    janvcooper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Allrecipes.com is a great site. Try vegetarian and chicken dishes. And there's a wonderful recipe for guiness chicken stew made in the crockpot on another site, just google it.
  • laoighse
    laoighse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Eggs, milk, frozen veg and fruit, beans from dried, reduced to clear, shop in the market, bulk cook and freeze, spices and herbs.
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Can vouch for Budget Bytes! Many of the meals she posts are super cheap, and can last you a couple days as well! Also casseroles! There are many that you can make that are very healthy and don't cost much, especially if you substitute any rice or noodles with brown rice, quinoa, and whole grain. (:
  • drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Agreed, Budget Bytes is fantastic. I've been cooking off of her site or have used it for inspiration for over 6 years. It helped me pare down my grocery bill big time and she makes very straight up, easy to create or alter meals.

If you love Sriracha sauce, you will fit right in :smiley:

Best of Luck!
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    why have I never heard of Budget bytes, this is amazing!
  • caughtredhandd83
    caughtredhandd83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm another budget bytes devotee. I also recommend trying Aldi if there's one near you. Shopping there, planning out my meals and cooking most of my meals at home dramatically helped my grocery budget and healthy eating.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Just posted this in the cloud bread discussion.

Made this last night super easy and yummy! Low carb, but relatively high calories 110 each, high protein though. Uses vital wheat gluten, so not gluten free.
    http://www.findingradiance.com/2011/02/24/magic-rolls-eades-low-carb-comfort-foods/

944u9op09pum.jpg

g00lx1qekp1f.jpg
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I buy some food at dollar tree, they have a lot of staples way cheaper than the grocery store
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    pinterest has lots of recipes that fit what you want.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Another vote for budget bytes. You can sign up for the email list. (its FREE)
    New ideas every week.
    We have a "fridge clean out" the day before garbage day. Any protein, veggies in the fridge I either make a stir fry, soup, rice mix or casserole. Helps cut back on waste and save $$
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Shop Saturdays. Cook Sundays: a tub of hard cooked eggs, a tub of oatmeal and eat with cinnammon and dried fruit and ground flax, tub o soup with dried beans and meat, beef burgers, fish burgers and freeze and eat all week.
  • shiroyashida24
    Options
    Thank u guys so much for recommemding budgetbytes.com, ive already started bookmarking recipes i wanna try
  • janelwilke2362
    janelwilke2362 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do they list the amount of calories? I didn't see it on the recipe I looked at.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    As far as cheap food goes, you could see if there is a grocery salvage store near you. I get tons of organic foods, juices, fruit, cheeses, meats and snacks there for practically nothing. (like I feed my family of 4 for a month on 60 bucks...)
  • shiroyashida24
    Options
    No, i dont think budgetbytes lists calories, but if u copy the url from the webpage that has the recipe into the import recipe from web part of MFP then it will add the calories for the recipe for u
  • Redhededkewty
    Redhededkewty Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Look for an Aldi's supermarket in your area. Everything is cheaper, and they have included a lot of organics. Bring your own shopping bags.
  • shiroyashida24
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas for simple and healthy packed school lunches? I have a kid whose summer vacations almost over and i dont just want to send them to school where the healthiest thing they can eat there is a packet of ketchup
  • lll109
    lll109 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My kid likes turkey and cucumber sandwiches, grilled chicken in a wrap, homemade chicken noodle soup or yogurt and granola. Few raw vegetables or whole grain crackers. Lots of ideas on Pinterest.
  • shiroyashida24
    Options
    Im liking how those ideas sound, but how do u keep the chicken cold enough in a bagged lunch for hours, is a cold pack enough from keeping it going bad?
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Im liking how those ideas sound, but how do u keep the chicken cold enough in a bagged lunch for hours, is a cold pack enough from keeping it going bad?

I bring all kinds of things for my work lunch, in an insulated lunch bag with a cold pack, and that works well for me. I just make sure that anything that needs to stay properly cold (today it was leftover chicken casserole and yoghurt) are right next to or on top of the ice pack and fruit, crackers, muesli bars which don't need to stay especially cold are on the top. In summer I add an extra ice pack, but that's not needed at this time of year.