Work From Home/Remote tips for keeping in check?

Options
ale527
ale527 Posts: 95 Member
I recently started a new job where I work from home so tend to spend a lot of my day inside at a desk. I usually try to take the dog for a quick walk before work and at lunchtime. I also try to get up and walk at least a couple minutes every hour. I'm still keeping up with my workouts ~5-6 days a week but cannot help feeling lazy with this new schedule. Anyone have a similar experience or tips on ways to keep active during the day? I want to invest in a standing desk but we are in the middle of a move so it's not practical just yet. Thanks for any advice upfront!

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing pretty well, actually. I worked from home 3 days/week and outside of my lunchtime workouts, I felt relatively sloth-like the other 8 hours. But I was in much better control of my diet, therefore it was the time I looked and felt the best. I can't wait to get that schedule back.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I work from home a lot. I try to keep to my normal work meals just like I was at work. Get my workout in before work or after work. Really just try to keep everything the same as if I was in the office except I don't have to put on real clothes to work haha.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I work from home 40-50 hours a week. I try to split my schedule up and walk or take a mini break every hour to 2 hours. I have a polar watch to track my steps and alarm me after an hour of sitting. That helps a lot. I workout 2xs a day most days but I'm also competing for a bikini competition and training for a half marathon. Before the training though, 30 minutes of cardio and strength training didn't undo the damage that sitting for 8-10 hours a day did. So the watch was a huge improvement and motivation to move. I also have a treadmill desk that I use from time to time and a cycle pedal that goes under my desk. Do you have a treadmill? If so you can make a DIY desk.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing pretty darn good! Do you have a fitness tracker (ie: fitbit)? I find it's a great way to get an idea of how many steps you're getting and how sedentary you are. Getting up from your desk for a 3-5 minute walk every hour is a great way to stay alert and fight the effects of sitting all day- and it sounds like you're doing that or at leat aware!
    There are bands out there (Fitbit, Garmin, etc) that alert you or encourage you to get a minimum number of steps each hour. Mine is a Fitbit Charge HR and my goal is 250 steps every hour between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.

I've seen people post little reminders about standing and the ill effects of sitting all day- so tips to get up and stand when answering the phone, or walk the long way to the photocopier.
  • OcalaFL
    OcalaFL Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I worked from home full time and over 5 years packed on 90lbs. I just started just getting in 5k worth of steps a day and have lost around 40lbs so far. I found at home I only got 100 to 2,000 steps a day during weight gain period on my iphone the default health app had been keeping track of these steps in background. I would suggest taking time to get in motion every hour or two walking to get mail, put phone away from desk and walk to get it, I walk around the block before work like a fake commute and lunch an if on lunch break, etc.
  • hacked0ff
    hacked0ff Posts: 7 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I exclusively work from home and I love it!. I'm a software engineer so most of my day is sitting/standing in front of a computer. I have my Fitbit setup to track my 250 steps per hour from 8am to 6pm. Every hour, I get up and do some form of movement(walking in place, treadmill, etc) for about five minutes. I take a ten minute walk at 8am, 12pm and 6pm. I also just started the P90 program which I do first thing when I get up. I usually get over 12,000 steps everyday without ever leaving the house. I also walk in place during meetings.

I've had my Fitbit almost two years now but I really started getting serious two week ago trying to get back into shape. Already I feel better, sleep better and wake up earlier.
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm better behaved when I work from home! No sweets/chocolates/biscuits/cake etc.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I'm better behaved when I work from home! No sweets/chocolates/biscuits/cake etc.

Me too. For example, in the office this morning I was greeted with 2 dozen bagels and donuts. I refrained, but this temptation doesn't happen very much at home.
  • ale527
    Options
    I think you're doing pretty darn good! Do you have a fitness tracker (ie: fitbit)? I find it's a great way to get an idea of how many steps you're getting and how sedentary you are. Getting up from your desk for a 3-5 minute walk every hour is a great way to stay alert and fight the effects of sitting all day- and it sounds like you're doing that or at leat aware!
    There are bands out there (Fitbit, Garmin, etc) that alert you or encourage you to get a minimum number of steps each hour. Mine is a Fitbit Charge HR and my goal is 250 steps every hour between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.

I've seen people post little reminders about standing and the ill effects of sitting all day- so tips to get up and stand when answering the phone, or walk the long way to the photocopier.

I do have a Fitbit. I just started using it again after switching phones.m y Gear S2 was telling me to move around every but I haven't been able to get those notifications on my Fitbit. What did you do to set them up? I enabled the hourly move 250 steps but it doesn't vibrate or anything...
  • ale527
    Options
    shanae727 wrote: »
    I work from home 40-50 hours a week. I try to split my schedule up and walk or take a mini break every hour to 2 hours. I have a polar watch to track my steps and alarm me after an hour of sitting. That helps a lot. I workout 2xs a day most days but I'm also competing for a bikini competition and training for a half marathon. Before the training though, 30 minutes of cardio and strength training didn't undo the damage that sitting for 8-10 hours a day did. So the watch was a huge improvement and motivation to move. I also have a treadmill desk that I use from time to time and a cycle pedal that goes under my desk. Do you have a treadmill? If so you can make a DIY desk.

Are the cycle pedals worth it? I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on them. Hoping to get a treadmill once we finish moving so I'll keep that in mind for DIY desks. Thanks!
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I work from home full time as well. I looked at the treadmill desks also, but can't justify the cost. One of my coworkers uses a regular treadmill, but an IKEA type desk that she retrofitted. Even with that, she says it's not an all day walk/work type of thing. You only use it a few hours a day, maybe during conference calls, and at max are walking 1-2 mphs. I guess the walking/typing/writing idea isn't as easy as it may sound ;)

I am looking at the sit/stand desk option that goes on top of your existing desk. You raise it when you want to stand, and lower it when you don't. They're more cost effective, but I need to measure my cords to make sure they are long enough at the raised height. A few that I've looked at are: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y3NLOA0?psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y3P0K1M?psc=1

Good luck!

• ale527
    Options
    OcalaFL wrote: »
    I worked from home full time and over 5 years packed on 90lbs. I just started just getting in 5k worth of steps a day and have lost around 40lbs so far. I found at home I only got 100 to 2,000 steps a day during weight gain period on my iphone the default health app had been keeping track of these steps in background. I would suggest taking time to get in motion every hour or two walking to get mail, put phone away from desk and walk to get it, I walk around the block before work like a fake commute and lunch an if on lunch break, etc.

So far I've been getting 4000-10000 steps a day. I usually do fitness classes twice a week but the location got flooded a couple weeks ago.I guess that may be making me feel a lot lazier... I've been keeping up with cardio and strength training almost daily though. In the past couple months I've lost about 14lbs and want to lose 35 more. I really want to be proactive in not reversing goals :smile: the fake commute is a great idea! I can't wait to incorporate it in my new neighborhood.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I work from home now and then. My activity level is not the problem, I'm more active wfh than in the office, and able to make more of my fitness classes. But FOOD. Oh my... food food everywhere. When I go TO work, I only eat what I portioned for myself in my lunch bag. But at home I have the whole damn fridge at my disposal
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I work from home too, full time. I extend my walks to more than "a few minutes", run a couple mornings a week, take a couple classes in eve/weekend. You also can do short "walk at home" (Leslie Sansone) segments (or longer ones). Of course, it all takes time, but it's my life and health, so it's a priority. Remember, many of our commuting comrades sit in the car for an hour or more a day, so we at home might as well take extra time to walk. We also don't get water cooler breaks & other diversions that many offices offer, so we can make our own and use them to keep moving. :)