I am seriously backed up...

Options
2»

Replies

• gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    try also changing the way you sit on the toilet - bend forwards and raise your feet up (I think you can get little stools to help with this (no pun intedned). It helps to stretch out the passage to make the actual movement easier. (think asian squat toilets). Even just sitting on the toilet without straining can help.

i know this is a bit more TMI, but research has shown that this is how we should be sitting when going to the toilet. who knew, we've been pooping wrong since the stone age haha
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above food ideas... Canned pumpkin is another good "mover." Make a pudding with it (pie filling without the crust) or butternut squash style soup. Walking/running helps me as well. I went through a few weeks of struggles when I ditched soda (caffeine withdrawal I assume) but it sorted itself with extra fiber and appropriate fat consumption.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else about seeing a doctor. You can also try a cup of prune juice heated in the microwave until it's hot like tea...that usually does the trick.

I'm pregnant and sometimes I need to take colace. I get the gel caps and you can take up to 3 a day. It's pretty mild and usually does the trick....if all else fails you could get a suppository. Not fun, but they work.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    2 months? You're working your way towards an impacted colon, which may require surgery to fix. That's much more expensive and time consuming then getting it treated now. Other treatments are not pleasant and when it happened to me, required an overnight stay in the hospital. You're much better off getting it treated now before it goes that far.

For the record, prune juice never really worked for me. Upping my fiber is the one thing that keeps me working mostly ok, though too much does still over do it! I've found adding a fiber one brownie for breakfast helps me keep my fiber up and provides a low calorie breakfast.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good suggestions - magnesium citrate and Miralax are both osmotic laxatives...drink A LOT of water when you take them (must have water for them to work)...if they don't t work within a few hours then slowly increase to dose. My doctor at one point had me drinking a half of a cup of Miralax powder in the mornings and evenings, though my situation was extreme. Now I take 600mg magnesium citrate in the mornings and evenings.

If you were previously existing on fatty fast food, you were probably not getting much fiber. Transitioning to items like wheat bread and special k with whole produce may be part of the issue as that's a big fiber increase that you're not accustomed to. Fiber intake should be gradually increased over time, not suddenly. Also, dramatically increase fiber while decreasing fat is a great way to slow everything down. Try to pair fiber with fat when you eat - it's a great combination.

If you find you are actively constipated and already backed up fiber may not be you're friend - you're just adding more bulk. If you are in this situation lower fiber until you are able to pass a substantial bowel movement. You do not want to risk impaction or obstruction by adding more bulk. Start tracking your water and try to have water with each meal.

I do think you should see a doctor just to be safe. You said you've lost a substantial amount of weight - it's probably time for an overall check up anyway ;) Carrying around extra weight has systemic effects - your hormones may be adjusting to the new you along with other things that may be having an impact on this situation.

Good luck!
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Can you get movicol.....or as a last resort just go overboard on sugar free candies
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    ~ sorry but this is definitely a TMI post

For the past like 2 months I have been unable to poop. I get so constipated to the point where my stomach is large and hard and just overall hurts. Ive been taking a probiotic, Ive been trying miralax, and I did try a laxative which worked but made me so sick that I really never want to have to resort to it again.

Any suggestions? Besides the doctor, Im trying to get it figured out on my own before resulting to that.
    I agree with everyone else about seeing a doctor. You can also try a cup of prune juice heated in the microwave until it's hot like tea...that usually does the trick.

I'm pregnant and sometimes I need to take colace. I get the gel caps and you can take up to 3 a day. It's pretty mild and usually does the trick....if all else fails you could get a suppository. Not fun, but they work.

The hot prune juice with a dose of milk of magnesia. At my husband's hospital they call it "the bomb". You can drink one and then the other. It always works. You can take a second dose if necessary. Once you clear out your system, start taking colace or another stool softener every day so your body gets regulated without the harshness of laxatives.