Can sore muscles equate to weight gain?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    It could also be that you're gaining muscle, which is denser than fat - the same size square of muscle would weigh more than the square of fat, just for an example.
    Practically improbable to gain muscle on a calorie deficit. To add tissue means you're adding mass.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Yes, sore muscles are caused by a build up of lactic acid.
    Correction: sore muscles are due to then micro tears that happen when one stresses the muscle beyond what it's used to.
    Lactic acid is produced during exercise which is the burning sensation one feels when muscles are pushed to fatigue.

IDEA Fitness member
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    It could also be that you're gaining muscle, which is denser than fat - the same size square of muscle would weigh more than the square of fat, just for an example.
    Practically improbable to gain muscle on a calorie deficit. To add tissue means you're adding mass.

IDEA Fitness member

um, I'm at a calorie deficit every single day, and i'm certainly stronger than i was 4 months ago.

plus isn't losing weight by definition having a calorie deficit? Burning more than you take in...?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

It takes months and months and months for a woman not on steroids to build a pound of muscle.

Most likely, as stated above, it's water retention. It will go away.

And it's not lactic acid: http://www.active.com/mountainbiking/Articles/It_s_not_about_the_lactic_acid__Why_you_re_still_sore_after_yesterday_s_ride.htm

Not to mention that cardio doesn't really build muscle. I didn't see where the OP mentioned strength training at all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

You can't gain muscle at a calorie deficit and you don't build any substantive muscle mass with cardio. A male with pretty good genes might be able to put on 6-10 Lbs of muscle per YEAR if they were really hitting the weight room hard and maintaining and pretty spot on diet and a caloric surplus.

OP...your muscles are retaining water for repair.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

um, I'm at a calorie deficit every single day, and i'm certainly stronger than i was 4 months ago.

plus isn't losing weight by definition having a calorie deficit? Burning more than you take in...?

You can make considerable strength gains without actually gaining muscle mass. To gain muscle mass you have to be anabolic...which means you have to be at a surplus of calories.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    OP - You can take this advice or you can pass it over.

Cortisol is a hormone that is released from excessive stress. It helps the body to perform more effeciently which ultimately decreases your calorie burns. Performing repetitive intense cardio while eating at a deep calorie deficit will often trigger the release of cortisol.

Without knowing your stats, I suspect that 1200 calories is probably a deep calorie deficit for you. With all of this demand you are placing on your body, you are probably not eating enough to meet the energy demands of your body. As previously stated, this behavior can cause a cortisol release. It is advised that people eat at 20% below their TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).

I recommend, first, that you decrease your cardio workouts, incorporate some strength training into your program, calculate your TDEE based on your new exercise routine, and reset your calorie goal to 20% below TDEE.

This is the principle to fat loss outlined in the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Following this structure, you will burn primarily fat. Weight loss will be slow, however, you will notice a dramatic change in body composition, ie. loss in inches.
  • clynnthrock
    Options
    This happened to me, too; thanks for the question and replies. And good for both of us!!
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You can't gain muscle at a calorie deficit and you don't build any substantive muscle mass with cardio. A male with pretty good genes might be able to put on 6-10 Lbs of muscle per YEAR if they were really hitting the weight room hard and maintaining and pretty spot on diet and a caloric surplus.

OP...your muscles are retaining water for repair.

Technically you can, but it's a lot more difficult to do at a deficit than at a surplus. I've been experiencing the same over the last few days after increasing the load of my strength training workout [I've gained 5 pounds so far while under a deficit]. I'm pretty sure that weight is a combination of water and waste, as muscles under repair tend to hold onto water to aid in the recovery process.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fat loss is not an immediate gratification sort of thing. Progress is measured in weeks and months, not daily. Water fluctuations, as you have noted from increasing exercise, will mask your fat loss. You may get more satisfaction from following a trend line rather than the daily fluctuations.

http://www.weightgrapher.com/
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »
    staying under 1200 calories and working out hard will cause more weight gain than weight loss because you are not eating enough calories to support your calorie loss it will also make your muscles sore and take longer for the lactic acid to leave out causing you to retain water.

fully disagree, i do like 1200 calories a day (and been this way for like 4 months), i lift for 2 hours a day, do atleast 60 min of cardio a day, and i'm certainly not gaining any weight as a result.

if your muscles are sore (i do plyometrics every day) ingest protein within 30 minutes afterwards, it will fuel muscle recovery. (so a protein shake/protein bar/or some sort of food that provides 20g or so of protein).

A man eating 1200 calories a day for over 4 months, working out 3 hours a day.

Food does not provide muscle recovery? Meal timing or protein intake timing? NO

What am i missing here folks?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread

This is totally a zombie thread!