Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No fruit after dinner

Options
I keep hearing you should only eat fruit on an empty stomach because it digests faster so shouldnt be sitting above your main meal.

Thoughts?

Me personally, i just had an apple after a 600 cal dinner! I have to have something sweet after a main meal and would rather get it from fruit.

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the context of that advice is, but if it's weight loss then that doesn't make sense.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing you should only eat fruit on an empty stomach because it digests faster so shouldnt be sitting above your main meal.

Thoughts?

Me personally, i just had an apple after a 600 cal dinner! I have to have something sweet after a main meal and would rather get it from fruit.

i dont even know what the bolded means..

as long as you hit your calorie target for the day you will be fine.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Foods don't really "sit above" other foods in the stomach anyway. Once they are consumed, stomach contents will be mixed together.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If anything, Don't apples help with digestion? I say go for it! It's low cal, high fiber, and a great snack! I eat at least 1 a day! CICO
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Makes no sense. I eat fruit whenever I want.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Makes no sense. I eat fruit whenever I want.

YEP
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

Nonsense...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The idea (to the extent that what you wrote constitutes a comprehensible idea) doesn't make any sense.

Stop hanging around those places where you hear stuff like that.

I'm going to have an apple too, with my evening meal.
  • misscroft007
    misscroft007 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have heard that too from the food combining folks. Protein and fats digest well together, carbs can only go with no fat, and fruit should be eaten alone or three hours after your last meal. The theory is that the body is designed to efficiently break down those categories or combinations and what it cannot will be stored as fat. Do I believe it? Somewhat.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I feel like some people believe that the human body works like packing a box, as opposed to dumping stuff into a blender.

I love this, i enjoy being a blender!!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Sounds like advice from the cult of asceticism.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Some fruits do contain enzymes which affect how proteins are broken down and how the digestive system behaves, but generally in such small quantities as to not make any difference so go ahead and just respect CICO.

Anyway, a very tasty side effect of this is the effectiveness of fruit based marinades for tenderising meat. My favourite is to put equal parts pineapple, mango and papaya with some red chilli (optional), salt and pepper in blender and use result to marinade pork or beef - preferably at least four hours. Scrape off marinade into pan and put meat on BBQ/under grill. Boil up the marinade mix with a bit of balsamic vinegar, ketchup and Worcester sauce for an instant and relatively healthy BBQ sauce. Delicious! Right, I'm off to the shops...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I probably heard this from another woo site years ago.. But i have always thought that eating fruit after a big meal helps digestion.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I have heard that too from the food combining folks. Protein and fats digest well together, carbs can only go with no fat, and fruit should be eaten alone or three hours after your last meal. The theory is that the body is designed to efficiently break down those categories or combinations and what it cannot will be stored as fat. Do I believe it? Somewhat.

But if your body is breaking is down more efficiently, won't that mean more calories being absorbed and therefore stored? Less efficient would have it passing through before being fully digested = less absorbed calories.

Either way, OP, eat what you like, when you like, within your calorie limit (or a little over is fine too). Don't get caught up in the minor details.