Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No fruit after dinner

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Woo and hog wash!

And forget fruit after dinner, I am going for pie!
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Woo and hog wash!

WITH ice cream!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Woo and hog wash!

I count my fruit pies as part of my 5 A Day. :wink:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I've never heard of this. In my Italian family we typically have fruit after meals. Even when I went to Greece we had fresh watermelon for dessert every night. Yumm
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Woo and hog wash!

Fruit pie. Winning!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Woo and hog wash!

WITH ice cream!

Or maybe just keep the pie and ice cream for a special occasion 3-4 times a year and eat the more nutritionally dense, lower calorie fruit on a regular basis.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Woo and hog wash!

WITH ice cream!

Or maybe just keep the pie and ice cream for a special occasion 3-4 times a year and eat the more nutritionally dense, lower calorie fruit on a regular basis.

Or maybe they can fit pie and ice cream in their daily calorie goals so they eat it when they feel like it.

Given that many people are trying to lose weight 500+ calories of non-nutrient dense food on a regular basis really doesn't fit in very well
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Everything in between dinners is both before and after dinner at the same time. Sooooo yeah. That.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Woo and hog wash!

WITH ice cream!

Or maybe they can fit pie and ice cream in their daily calorie goals so they eat it when they feel like it.

Given that many people are trying to lose weight 500+ calories of non-nutrient dense food on a regular basis really doesn't fit in very well

Why would it have to be 500+ calories worth?
  • Packerjohn
    Woo and hog wash!

WITH ice cream!

Why would it have to be 500+ calories worth?

Given a standard serving of vanilla ice cream is around 140 calories with a typical serving of apple pie about 300, you're at 440 calories. Since many people eat more than the standard serving 500+ calories is realistic.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    I don't understand the standard serving thing, as that's not how I eat. Our packaging shows per 100g, so that makes it easier to calculate how much I can fit in my day. If I've reached my other nutritional goals and I'm still in a deficit, something that's not nutritionally-dense isn't going to do any harm to my weight loss.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    I impulse stopped at the ridiculous trendy fro-yo place near me (always going on about their gluten free/vegan options in a way that is just too on the nose for my particular neighborhood), and got 4 oz of a mango sorbet with berries. About 120 calories. In that I exercise, that wouldn't be hard to fit in even if I was trying to keep to a deficit (which I don't care enough about at the moment, since I'm a healthy weight).

For that matter, a 210 or so calorie ice cream/gelato with some fruit wouldn't be tough to fit in either, especially if I was going to eat fruit anyway and just repurposed it.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    my mother's nutritionist told her to eat fruit with a protein because of all the sugar in fruit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    my mother's nutritionist told her to eat fruit with a protein because of all the sugar in fruit.

Is she diabetic or IR? Was a reason given?
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Where do folks come up with this nonsense?!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Wine is fruit, yes?

Si! You are right! I always have fruit after dinner too then.