starvation mode?

Options
whenever i end my food log for the day it says i'm eating too few calories when i'm only under by about 100 calories and it says i'm in starvation mode when i'm not starving at all.

anyway is being in starvation mode really that bad?

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If you eat too few calories consistently you COULD go into starvation mode. They computer doesn't know if you are or not, but it is warning you.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Your eating under 200 calories. Anything under 1200 put you at risk of starvatio mode. That means that your body may have trouble shedding the weight because its holding on to what it stores. you shoudl try to eat atleast 1200, more if you are working out.
  • nmm10
    nmm10 Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes, being in starvation mode is bad. I wouldn't consider being under your goal by 100 calories starvation mode, however. When you're in "starvation mode" your body uses your muscle for energy and stores fat. That's why it's important to eat enough calories!
  • Janetlabori
    Options
    I'm on starvation mode every day ( from 500 to 600 calories per day) but I'm on a diet under medical attention. I don't feel hungry as long as I eat my three meals and two snacks per day. I loose about 3.5 per week.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    that shoudl have said under 1200 calories, not 200. Sorry
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode IS 'all that bad' but you aren't going to get there eating 1100 calories every once in a while.
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You should set your goals to your BRM. That way you know if you are really going into starvation mode or not....
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    What the previous poster said and yes it can be bad for your weight loss. When your body goes into starvation mode, it starts trying to "store" fat because it thinks it won't be getting any more "fuel" and therefore you won't lose weight....

at least that's my narrow understanding

edit: WOW...when i first answered there was only 1 response....lol
  • Childlikeempress75
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I got the same message today when I entered all my food. I'm a newbie so it's good to know that others have these questions too. Thanks for all the answers too, everyone.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm on starvation mode every day ( from 500 to 600 calories per day) but I'm on a diet under medical attention. I don't feel hungry as long as I eat my three meals and two snacks per day. I loose about 3.5 per week.

Ok... first off - I am not attacking the PERSON. I am attacking their "weight loss program".

Nuviva is the hcG diet. And by "Diet" they mean starvation program. This thing is one of the worst things I can think of, it's been totally debunked by the medical community, and it has TEMPORARY results for almost everyone that uses it. All the HCG "weight loss program" is is a hormone so you don't feel hungry, and a starvation diet. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE.

The reason it has temporary results is because you still don't learn portion control, or healthy choices, or exercise habits.

Please, PLEASE PLEASE don't listen to advice from ANYONE that thinks that hcg weight loss is a good idea. Yea, you can get a doctor to get you into the program... but just remember he gets a cut from every patient he refers.

**Yanking hair out****

Back to the original subject - Eating too few calories, especially with heavy workouts, can make you actually lose weight SLOWER. THe reason for this is because your metabolism will actually slow down to compensate for you not feeding yourself enough.

Tons of great threads on this forum about it, I suggest you do a few searches. If you genuinely want advice, feel free to message me about it and I'll go into more detail, using some medical studies that have been done on the subject.
  • sarahbeth17
    sarahbeth17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Ok... first off - I am not attacking the PERSON. I am attacking their "weight loss program".

Nuviva is the hcG diet. And by "Diet" they mean starvation program. This thing is one of the worst things I can think of, it's been totally debunked by the medical community, and it has TEMPORARY results for almost everyone that uses it. All the HCG "weight loss program" is is a hormone so you don't feel hungry, and a starvation diet. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE.

The reason it has temporary results is because you still don't learn portion control, or healthy choices, or exercise habits.

Please, PLEASE PLEASE don't listen to advice from ANYONE that thinks that hcg weight loss is a good idea. Yea, you can get a doctor to get you into the program... but just remember he gets a cut from every patient he refers.

**Yanking hair out****

Back to the original subject - Eating too few calories, especially with heavy workouts, can make you actually lose weight SLOWER. THe reason for this is because your metabolism will actually slow down to compensate for you not feeding yourself enough.

Tons of great threads on this forum about it, I suggest you do a few searches. If you genuinely want advice, feel free to message me about it and I'll go into more detail, using some medical studies that have been done on the subject.

You don't have to agree with what they are doing, and everyone has heard all sides of it before making their decisions to go on these diets. With that being said I did the Hcg, and you can't say that we don't learn to eat healthy or portion control, because that is what thing I didn't have before and now I do because of the hcg. I eat much smaller portions, i eat 5-6 small meals a day most days and I actually cook now, and it's always healthy things that I didn't know how to make before. i've learned not everything needs to be cooked in butter, you can use oils and my favorite chicken broth. I would probably weight 10 pounds more than before I did hcg if i hadn't done it at all. I finished the Hcg in may and im still keeping the weight off and losing more!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

**Yanking hair out****

You don't have to agree with what they are doing, and everyone has heard all sides of it before making their decisions to go on these diets. With that being said I did the Hcg, and you can't say that we don't learn to eat healthy or portion control, because that is what thing I didn't have before and now I do because of the hcg. I eat much smaller portions, i eat 5-6 small meals a day most days and I actually cook now, and it's always healthy things that I didn't know how to make before. i've learned not everything needs to be cooked in butter, you can use oils and my favorite chicken broth. I would probably weight 10 pounds more than before I did hcg if i hadn't done it at all. I finished the Hcg in may and im still keeping the weight off and losing more!

While this is true with you, an isolated case is not statistically significant. I'm talking pure numbers here. Just about EVERY reputable medical group has publicly denounced the HCG diet, I don't understand why people still risk their health like that.

The studies show that you would experience the SAME results with simply a 500 calories diet. Which by itself is a terrible idea, and I hopefully don't have to cite studies about that.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options

**Yanking hair out****

While this is true with you, an isolated case is not statistically significant. I'm talking pure numbers here. Just about EVERY reputable medical group has publicly denounced the HCG diet, I don't understand why people still risk their health like that.

The studies show that you would experience the SAME results with simply a 500 calories diet. Which by itself is a terrible idea, and I hopefully don't have to cite studies about that.

Actually, she's not an isolated case. I literally know about 100 people who have used or are currently on the HCG diet. Including myself. Adapted protocols from the original do incorporate exercise. We HAVE learned portion control and CLEAN eating habits and we ARE maintaining our weight loss. Every individual is different, every success using every method has a % of those who gain the weight back. Doing it the "traditional" was does not ensure lifelong success.....behaviors and habits and INDIVIDUALS determine success...