Kinesiology Tape

Options
Anyone ever use kinesiology tape on bruises from an injury? I crashed my bike Saturday. Bruising and soreness is worse today. Wondering if KT tape will help with bruising since it's designed to lift skin and encourage healing with better blood circulation.

Replies

• Madame_Goldbrick
    Madame_Goldbrick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Can't comment on bruising but I strapped both my dodgy ankles last year & the KT tape got me through a HM just fine. It'll alleviate the impact on any sprains you might have accrued. No harm in using it.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Not on bruising, but it's helped with other things. Helping stabilize after my injury last year, and currently on my ribs. Still trying to figure that one out, but apparently it's a thing to sometimes partially separate ribs squatting.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Its helped me with various injuries. I was skeptical before trying it but I'ma believer. It maters how much you stretch it for different injuries and needs though. You don't just slap it on. Youtube works great for learning how to do it right. Search youtube for "KT Tape for bruises"
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    There is little to no evidence supporting its benefits for healing or for muscle/joint support. Zero evidence for healing bruises.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for input. Since I'm bruised pretty bad on several spots, I might try it on one bruise to see if it heals faster. Last time I try to ride through gravel with a road bike...
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for input. Since I'm bruised pretty bad on several spots, I might try it on one bruise to see if it heals faster. Last time I try to ride through gravel with a road bike...

I'd be really interested in your results. I tried KT tape to lift skin where some scars had bad circulation (like right on top of my shin bone), but couldn't say whether it actually helped or not. I always use arnica gel on bruises with good results, but never done a side-by-side.

Sorry to hear about the crash :( , hope you heal quickly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Since that's just blood trapped under the skin, maybe if the compression is enough. But I think it varies from person to person. Basically all KT tape does is provide more support for injured of weak tendons and ligaments. Since it's just on the surface, it's like an isolated support piece without that bulk of a sleeve or band.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    @lemmie177
    Follow up on taping bruises. Yesterday morning I taped one of the bruises using KT Pro. This morning there is some marked improvement in the bruise. Yesterday it was a very deep purple. This morning it is a much lighter purple with some yellow around the edges indicating healing. There's marked improvement in the center of the bruise.

By contrast the bruise on my hip which I did not tape is just as deep purple as it was yesterday. No improvement in the untaped bruise. I definitely think there's benefits to taping.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I tape my knee, and I find it offers reasonable support whilst not making my skin all sweaty and hampering my leg movement like a support with straps or elastic might do. Never thought of trying it on bruises, that's interesting.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

Kinesiology tape definitely has its place in relieving pain during pregnancy. SpiderTech actually just released a useful infographic outlining various taping strategies for pain relief associated with pregnancy. SpiderTech also offers different pre-cuts for the different areas of the body affected by pregnancy. Check out the infographic here: http://spidertech.com/news-blog/pain-relief-pregnancy-infographic/

monorail
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've only used it sparingly for...

Tendon tears which I get quite often.
    Elbow joint support a few times while lifting.
    Plantar Faciitis and heal spur which took away 80% of the pain immediately after apllying.

It's the only product I endorse for free.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    There is little to no evidence supporting its benefits for healing or for muscle/joint support. Zero evidence for healing bruises.

This.

It has the same effect as arnica. i.e. None. Only in the imagination.