Need Tips for Days When I am a Bottomless Pit of Hunger

Options
Help! Every once in a while, I have a day like today.

I am literally a bottomless pit of hunger. I eat what I have planned and would normally satisfy me for hours and it's as if I haven't ingested a thing. I'm not thirsty, I'm not bored. I am ravenous.

ALL DAY LONG

What do you do when this happens to you?

Replies

• alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I hate these days. I try to drink a ton of water or carbonated beverages, occupy myself (way easier said than done) or else sometimes if I eat something very voluminous yet not super calorie dense like popcorn or whatever I am craving - salty would be popcorn or I like those special K chip things otherwise if sweet I do a bowl of berries or something to try to quell the beast. Hate these days.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle? When my appetite spikes up premenstrually, I honor it and eat at maintenance for a few days. Most times I add a snack and have a slightly larger dinner, and/or a treat.

If that's not it, please open your diary - I'd like to take a look at your macros. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If I'm honestly hungry I eat. And I check the calendar...usually I'm fixing to start.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    my hormones are all out of whack so i feel like this often. given it takes a lot for me to feel full, lots of broccoli slaw, romaine, cauliflower, hot foods like chili, broths, salads....and of course protein and fat help too.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough restful sleep? :)
    What do you normally eat as your first meal of the day? :grey_question::grey_question:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You can buy extremely low calorie noodles (like 15 cals a pack) called konnyaku, konjac or shirataki noodles. You can find them in east asian food stores.You may also be able to find them in health food stores, but they'll be way more expensive than in the asian supermarkets.

You can use those to substitute regular noodles in some dishes if you're really just craving a meal but can't afford the calories. The texture is a bit odd, but you can experiment with different cooking techniques to try to get a decent texture.

I eat these almost everyday.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You can buy extremely low calorie noodles (like 15 cals a pack) called konnyaku, konjac or shirataki noodles. You can find them in east asian food stores.You may also be able to find them in health food stores, but they'll be way more expensive than in the asian supermarkets.

You can use those to substitute regular noodles in some dishes if you're really just craving a meal but can't afford the calories. The texture is a bit odd, but you can experiment with different cooking techniques to try to get a decent texture.

I've not eaten them in quite a while as I've moved in with my mum until I get the keys to my new place in September, and there are no Asian supermarkets round here and buying them online is extortionate.

How do you cook them to get a better texture? Sometimes I find the texture to really ruin the dish, I just can't seem to get it right. (Though don't let that put others off trying, it's all relative to opinions I know some people love it).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I make protein fluff. For 100-200 calories, you might not even be able to finish it.

Did not know this was a thing. I know what I'm doing tomorrow..........
  • wagnerpe123
    wagnerpe123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    What do you normally eat as your first meal of the day? :grey_question::grey_question:

Normally, I have this for breakfast:
    http://www.goodfoodmadesimple.com/our-food/turkey-sausage-bowl/

Today, I had it about two hours earlier than usual because I got up early to go for a walk before it heated up outside. Does starting to eat earlier make you more hungry all day?
  • arditarose
    Options
    I make protein fluff. For 100-200 calories, you might not even be able to finish it.

Did not know this was a thing. I know what I'm doing tomorrow..........

Did you look it up? Just FYI it works better with a casein powder, and the xanthan gum is necessary. I really should start making it again. I could shave some calories off of my days.
  • arditarose
    Options

I've not eaten them in quite a while as I've moved in with my mum until I get the keys to my new place in September, and there are no Asian supermarkets round here and buying them online is extortionate.

How do you cook them to get a better texture? Sometimes I find the texture to really ruin the dish, I just can't seem to get it right. (Though don't let that put others off trying, it's all relative to opinions I know some people love it).

Yeah I eat two bags at once. Like all the time. I don't care about the price. I used to get them at the Japanese grocery store and they were cheaper.

So I rinse, then squeeze the water out, then start dry frying. Since I use the tofu macaroni ones I think they retain more moisture than the typical Japanese noodle without tofu. I will drain them about 3 times throughout the dry frying process to get more water out. I add a couple wedges of laughing cow cheese to make a cheese sauce,then my meat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Could be premenstrual . . . in fact it probably is. I'm in my 40's and my cycles are a bit unpredictable (perimenopause, I believe), but I was up a couple of pounds this morning for no good reason so maybe I'm going to start my period.

Doesn't make me less hungry though.

Yes, I have water weight and increased hunger premenstrually. My breakfast usually keeps me full for four hours but premenstrually I'm hungry again earlier.
  • wagnerpe123
    wagnerpe123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I've never heard of this, but I think I will give it a go. I've never tried protein powder in my life, but I'm always looking for more protein.
  • arditarose
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Normally, I have this for breakfast:
    http://www.goodfoodmadesimple.com/our-food/turkey-sausage-bowl/

Today, I had it about two hours earlier than usual because I got up early to go for a walk before it heated up outside. Does starting to eat earlier make you more hungry all day?

You are stretching out your eating window...so...yes. You automatically have more time between breakfast and lunch right there.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Yeah I eat two bags at once. Like all the time. I don't care about the price. I used to get them at the Japanese grocery store and they were cheaper.

So I rinse, then squeeze the water out, then start dry frying. Since I use the tofu macaroni ones I think they retain more moisture than the typical Japanese noodle without tofu. I will drain them about 3 times throughout the dry frying process to get more water out. I add a couple wedges of laughing cow cheese to make a cheese sauce,then my meat.

Unfortunately being a uni student I am on a very strict budget, so price matters a lot for me. Thankfully when I move back to my city there are loads of asian supermarkets and they're only around £1.50 a pack.

So you don't boil them at all? Only out of packet, drain/dry then fry? I've not done that before so I'll definitely give it a go. :) thank you.

• arditarose
    Options

I've never heard of this, but I think I will give it a go. I've never tried protein powder in my life, but I'm always looking for more protein.

Just order something like Optimum Nutrition CASEIN protein powder, in a flavor you like. It is a very standard well known brand.
  • arditarose
    Options

Unfortunately being a uni student I am on a very strict budget, so price matters a lot for me. Thankfully when I move back to my city there are loads of asian supermarkets and they're only around £1.50 a pack.

So you don't boil them at all? Only out of packet, drain/dry then fry? I've not done that before so I'll definitely give it a go. :) thank you.

BOIL? No. Moisture is not their friend. Out of packet and rinse, not just drain.