Maintainence

It's all very well losing weight but how do you keep it off. Can anyone shed any light on this? And how to make it easier

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    What do you find hard about it?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    It's all very well losing weight but how do you keep it off - over an extended period of time you eat the right amount of food.

Can anyone shed any light on this? - See above....

And how to make it easier. Move/exercise more so you get a higher food allowance? You haven't given any clues as to what you find difficult.....

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I guess figuring out what your maintenance calories can be rough. How long have you been tracking your intake?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Do the same as you were doing when you were losing weight, only with a slightly higher calorie allowance.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    I've been here for almost 3 years and have been primarily maintaining the last year or so. I actually lost another 10 lbs last year but spent a good part of the year in maintenance before deciding to lose a few more lbs.

The key for me is to keep moving, keep logging and also weigh myself most mornings. If I see a creep in weight of a couple of lbs I get back on the deficit wagon briefly and boom, I'm back where I want to be.

Vigilance is key I think. It seems like it might be a bit boring or a little compulsive to log the rest of my life, but the alternative is not an option anymore. That doesn't mean I can't take a weekend off of logging or have a splurge if I want, I've just figured out when to say "okay, that was fun and yummy, but I'm back to normal now".

Don't make it more difficult than it needs to be!
  • Poppy2410
    Poppy2410 Posts: 9 Member
    I find it hard to keep my weight off and have the will power. However, I have never had a goal before but I have my wedding in 2018 as my goal. Also I smoke and would like to quit when I have lost all the weight it's one step at a time lose the weight then stop smoking. I have heard that if you stop smoking you can pile weight on I find it difficult to stay focused as I have done previously when I lost weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Poppy2410 wrote: »
    I find it hard to keep my weight off and have the will power. However, I have never had a goal before but I have my wedding in 2018 as my goal. Also I smoke and would like to quit when I have lost all the weight it's one step at a time lose the weight then stop smoking. I have heard that if you stop smoking you can pile weight on I find it difficult to stay focused as I have done previously when I lost weight.

You can gain weight when you stop smoking, but you don't have to.

As someone else has said, maintenance should be no different to what you're doing now, just with more calories. So actually you need less willpower as you can eat more.

Have a maintenance range (around 5lbs) to account for fluctuations, and think about some fitness goals instead of weight goals so you have something to aim for.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Poppy2410 wrote: »

Breaking this down... You don't automatically gain weight when you stop smoking. I continued to lose weight when I stopped smoking in 2006. I regained after that, but that was because I started to overeat again. I started overeating because I couldn't stand the diet I believed I had to follow to manage my weight (basically low fat/low taste).

If you think willpower is essential to weight management, and think of willpower as "forcing through against your inclinations", you are in for a rough ride. But willpower can also be working towards reasonable, healthy, attainable goals, and to get what you want. What you want is what you want, not what you think you should do.

Just chew on it for a while.

Allen Carr's "Easyweigh to lose weight" has helped me tremendously, and he's also famous for his stop smoking books. He uses the same philosophy for both problems.
  • Poppy2410
    Poppy2410 Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you for all your comments has helped me a lot. :)