Opinions on soy???

Options
pinggolfer96
pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
ive been slowly transition to a plant based diet, and been eating more soy than regular. I know they state the negatives towards an excess consumption of soy have been proven false or claim to be false, but curious on everyones opinion. I don't really have any pros or cons towards it, but would like to get your opinion on how it affects either the mal or female body itself, and how it may possibly effect certain factors of bodybuilding. You can list your pros, cons, advantages, disadvantages...etc. no arguments, just looking for opinions and articles(:

Replies

• BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    oops. sorry
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Edamame, yes. Soy hot dogs, no.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I haven't had any problems with soy, except that it can sometimes upset my stomach. Soymilk and tofu/bean curd, no problems. Edamame or soy butter can give me an upset stomach. It seems to be a good source of protein, not too much fat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There's a current thread about soy in the debate section.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10419585/opinions-on-soy/p1
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Soy is delicious and nutritious.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    I drink soy milk w/a soy protein supplement (and have been doing so for years because I am moderately lactose intolerant) w/o any problems whatsoever.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't buy any statements about bad effects from soy consumption unless they are backed up with evidence that those side effects are suffered by pretty much everyone in East Asia. Honestly, if there were side effects, they'd be blindingly obvious from comparing those parts of the world with others.

It's just a bean.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like it! No ill effects here from soy milk, yogurt, edamame or protein powder.
  • lindasullivan345
    lindasullivan345 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ive been slowly transition to a plant based diet, and been eating more soy than regular. I know they state the negatives towards an excess consumption of soy have been proven false or claim to be false, but curious on everyones opinion. I don't really have any pros or cons towards it, but would like to get your opinion on how it affects either the mal or female body itself, and how it may possibly effect certain factors of bodybuilding. You can list your pros, cons, advantages, disadvantages...etc. no arguments, just looking for opinions and articles(:

I just know switching from 1% milk to soy milk noticeably decreased my 'Hot Flashes' when I was in 'that stage' of life. I also have lived long enough to know studies and statistics can show ANYTHING; if you wait long enough, another one will contradict a previous one. Anything can be bad for you...but we need to eat + drink, so Moderation- thats is the key.
  • megandotson209
    megandotson209 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Being a vegetarian I personally am a fan of soy. It hasn't affected my weight lifting at all so I can still gain the muscle I want and I know a lot of meat substitute have soy and I think they are great!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Why?
  • BigTandthesquatters
    Options
    Have you ever eaten a soy hotdog? I have and not what I expected at all. And not in a good way. But that's just me.

Why?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Have you ever eaten a soy hotdog? I have and not what I expected at all. And not in a good way. But that's just me.

Why?

I enjoy them. Taste is a pretty subjective thing.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I love organic soy products; tofu, soymilk, soybeans etc.
    Non organic soy bothers my stomach
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options

I do too but I do so in moderation and you make a great point, ORGANIC is key.

Since the poster is a male, I can only suggest consulting your doctor or doing some online research. I found a guy on youtube who calls himself, "Black Vegan" who is really cool and fun to watch. He warns about eating too much soy products as it can cause weight gain. HE has great advice on there for men who want to stay fit and be plant based.

Women like myself who have family and personal history of BC are asked to limit the use of soy. I use tofu once a week and I do NOT fry it, I press it and make eggless tofu salad OR press it and put it in soups. I avoid soy products made to taste like meat, they are fattening and contain too much oil, another thing I am trying to get out of my diet.

Anyhow, best wishes!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

I call shenanigans.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    soy is awesome

the soy milk so delicious ice cream sandwiches are my life (way better than the coconut ones)

tofu is also my life
  • BigTandthesquatters
    Options
    I consider myself an omnivore with a leaning towards Pescetarianism. This is my favorite soy product. Love to dip baked tortilla chips into it.

http://www.tobysfamilyfoods.com/products/lite-jalapeno-tofu-spread-dip/
  • Electric_Warfare
    Electric_Warfare Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you are male too much soy will make you grow breasts. So i hear.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    samkills3 wrote: »
    If you are male too much soy will make you grow breasts. So i hear.

That would be oestrogen (estrogen) - hormone found in soy (not sure more in soy than other vegetables, or whether soy has the worst rep) but it's also in most meat products in a different form but higher levels. It can cause hormone imbalance in males and females (I think males come off worse or with more obvious effects, as females produce oestrogen). It's also in tap water!

Seems most beans and peas also have plant oestrogen, as well as fruits.