wonky weigh-in and increasing calories

Options
For the past two weigh-ins (weekly), I've lost 2lb/wk. I've lost around 40lbs in the last seven months (I am 8 months postpartum). I've been counting/weighing/logging for the past month or so. I went to weigh myself this morning and my scale had moved, so I tried to move it back to the original spot, but the readings were all over the place. I couldn't remember the exact spot I previously had the scale on. I had planned to increase my calories this week to slow down the rate of loss, but now I don't have a good weigh-in to give me the confidence to do that. The scale gave me readings from 150.1 to 152.4. My last weigh in a week ago was 152 even. I was planning on increasing 100 calories/day if I lost over 1lb this week.

Should I try to get a good baseline reading (and keep the scale there!) and wait another week for the next weigh-in?

I am a 5'11 female, 152lbs (based on last "real" weigh-in) and eat 1450 calories/day.

Any ideas?

Replies

• dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My scale gives me several different numbers sometimes if I weigh more than once at the same time. Usually what I do is step on it again with holding something that weighs a few pounds then step off and weigh myself again. At least with my scale it seems to reset it and gives me a consistent weight again.

Also your calories seem pretty low for your height and weight. I would raise it in any case no matter what your scale says today. If you are nursing still that is FAR too low.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    5'11" and 150 lbs is a perfectly healthy weight. May I ask why you are trying to lose more?
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    5'11" and 150 lbs is a perfectly healthy weight. May I ask why you are trying to lose more?
    fatcity66 wrote: »

I still have fat I could lose. I have a smaller frame, small wrists, etc. My goal range is 140-145, so I'm close.

I am going to increase calories to 1550 and see what happens.
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    My scale gives me several different numbers sometimes if I weigh more than once at the same time. Usually what I do is step on it again with holding something that weighs a few pounds then step off and weigh myself again. At least with my scale it seems to reset it and gives me a consistent weight again.

Also your calories seem pretty low for your height and weight. I would raise it in any case no matter what your scale says today. If you are nursing still that is FAR too low.

I am still nursing, but only 1-2 times a day. My supply is really low, so it's mostly just comfort nursing at this point. I will increase to 1550 this week and see how it goes. I'd like to keep adding 100 calories every week as I ease into my goal range of 140-145.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'd recommending increasing to 1700-1800 (if not more) - calculate your TDEE and make adjustments that way - consistently under eating is as bad as over-eating - you are looking to increase your lean muscle mass and decrease body fat, so look at protein you are consuming and the % of carbs/protein/fats
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If you are still nursing, remember that the body sometimes likes to hang on to 5-10 lbs for nursing purposes. If your supply is low, you are most likely not eating enough. If it is just a few vanity pounds (which at your height and weight it sounds like it) and nursing is something that is important to you, then you may want to hold off on losing the last few pounds until you are done nursing and up your calories to maintenance + 200-300. If you supply increases and nursing sessions increase, up your calories a little more. And vice versa, if you are planning on weaning anyway, realize that 5 lbs may come off just from weaning. It did for me for both kids, I had a few pounds I couldn't get rid of while dieting and nursing, but once I decided to wean they came off quickly.