issues with lap band

Options
I've had the lap band for 2 years. I wasn't very successful with it, especially when I found out that I had a leak in my band, and surgery to repair it isn't covered under insurance.

I turned to MFP for help, and it's worked! unfortunately, with weight loss, I should be needing a fill to stay tight, but this isn't the case.

I'm actually vomiting MORE frequently. At least twice a day. This past weekend, I couldn't even get a milkshake to stay down. I've been producing more saliva, and I think it's hindering my food from passing through, and I can't control it! (And when I get sick on my foods, I dont know whether or not to log it, since I didn't eat it or even digest it!)

I'm at the end of my rope with this thing, and I'm ready to have them completely unfill me and let me be "wide open." I feel bad because I was so gung-ho about it all, but I can't keep getting sick like this. I suffer from headaches daily because I have to get sick so hard to get the food unstuck.

Replies

• msjeannettea
    msjeannettea Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's obvious that you need an unfill if you can't keep anything down. Are you attending support groups? lapbandtalk.com ??? They would be the best resource for your issues.. you'll be in good company over there.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm on obesityhelp.com. My surgeon is one of the top doctors in the country with his expertise. I'm going to call tomorrow, and if they don't unfill me at least a 1/4cc, I'm going to be really upset. I shouldn't be vomiting this much. I mean, really? Problems with a milkshake?? I had to drink something with sugar in it because I got sick all day Saturday, and kept absolutely nothing down.

I guess I'm just at my mental limit with this thing.
  • skinnyjeans1224
    Options
    Definitly sounds like you need an unfill.
  • mamamia05
    mamamia05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes make that call! I'm hoping you get the unfill and start feeling better! hugs of support hun..
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    thanks so much! I'm calling first thing in the morning. I hope I can get in before the end of the week. I can't keep doing this!! My poor head is tired of the headaches from getting sick so hard!!! And my back and side muscles can't take it, either!!!
  • gregthegroove
    Options
    I feel you! I was SO close to doing the lap band procedure myself and then I just kept reading and reading and reading stuff like this happening and so forth. I decided against it and joined a Kaiser weight loss program. Stupid thing is that they would cover you for surgery for lap band but not cover something educational like this Optifast program Im on.

I really think Lap Band would have worked for me but some complications scared me. I have lost 70 pounds in 5 months without it so Im happy. I really hope you get better and wish you luck!

Greg
  • MAG2010
    MAG2010 Posts: 30
    Options
    Did the unfill work?

Any chance you had a band slip? An unfill can usually allow it to fall back into place if you did.

I notice many things can make me tight....stress being a HUGE one. I can go from eating no problem to not getting a thing down when I'm really stressed. There's such a mind/gut connection that it affects how the band fits and feels when you get worked up. My aunt notices changes with excitement too.

I had a fill after my baby and went for a fill that was WAY too aggressive (against the advice of my doctor to take it slower). I ended up getting an unfill because I was throwing all week. .3 cc's out and I'm perfect. It's totally a trial and error process and different for every person.

Good luck!!!!! Don't give up on the band yet!!