Wendler 5/3/1

Options
Soo I am on by deload week of the first week. So far so good. AMRAPs have been pushing me and helped me realize I can tackle volume well--other than with deadlifts :o . Still, I have many questions for those of you who have been following the program for the while or had one followed it:

1) How many cycles do you perform of Wendler?
2) Do you alternate Wendler with any other programming after cycles finish?
3) How often/when do you test maxes? A trainer at my gym suggested after I complete my second cycle. This sounds good so as not to do so too frequently, but I would like to hear some more input.
4) What accessory work do you incorporate on each days? I have a decent arsenal of go-to exercises, but I am someone who enjoys a fair amount of variety. Here is what I do so far as accessory. I try to switch them around so I'm not doing too much in a day.

Bench: seated rows, close grip bench, seated rows, tricep extensions, dips.
OHP: skull crushers, strict handstand pushups, push jerks and push presses, shoulder flies.
Squats: front squats, bulgarian split squats, glute ham raises or back extensions, goblet squats, box jumps.
Deadlifts: RDLs, single leg deadlifts, kettlebell swings, pullups or chinups, hip thruts, good mornings, leg extensions.

Soo yeah. I know a dense, but all advice is welcome!

PS: I am using a Wendler app on my phone and to see the accessory movements recommended it wants me to pay aand I'm too cheapo to do that haha.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    1) How many cycles do you perform of Wendler? I did as many as I felt like. Did not overthink it.
    2) Do you alternate Wendler with any other programming after cycles finish? I would just finish and start again, but I would change how I ran my accessory work from cycle to cycle.
    3) How often/when do you test maxes? I rarely did. Maybe every two cycles or not even.
    4) What accessory work do you incorporate on each days? I enjoyed doing what Jim laid out in his body building template on the website.

Also...why not pay Jim Wendler? He's a great guy. How much is the app?
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    1) How many cycles do you perform of Wendler? As many as you want, I have been going a long time now and no reason to stop.
    2) Do you alternate Wendler with any other programming after cycles finish? No, although I do a lot more cardio on my deload week.
    3) How often/when do you test maxes? A trainer at my gym suggested after I complete my second cycle. This sounds good so as not to do so too frequently, but I would like to hear some more input. I test maxes when I think I am ready for a goal. I had a goal of 405 on the squat, I was close so I gave it shot and ended up at 435. Probably test again around 500.
    4) What accessory work do you incorporate on each days? I have a decent arsenal of go-to exercises, but I am someone who enjoys a fair amount of variety. Here is what I do so far as accessory. I try to switch them around so I'm not doing too much in a day. No accessories, I do First Set Last and Joker Sets. If I am struggling on a lift I might throw in some accessories. I also deload after 6 weeks, not 3.

@Arditarose I haven't seen an app by Wendler so I think she meant some app she bought. If it was actually Wendler's app I would agree with paying for it.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    1) How many cycles do you perform of Wendler? I did as many as I felt like. Did not overthink it.
    2) Do you alternate Wendler with any other programming after cycles finish? I would just finish and start again, but I would change how I ran my accessory work from cycle to cycle.
    3) How often/when do you test maxes? I rarely did. Maybe every two cycles or not even.
    4) What accessory work do you incorporate on each days? I enjoyed doing what Jim laid out in his body building template on the website.

Also...why not pay Jim Wendler? He's a great guy. How much is the app?

Haha I hear great things about Jim! And the "pro" version of the app is $9.99. I am honestly just using the app for it's calculator function because I am not good at math. But I will for sure check out Jim's website! I looked at info from t-nation, reddit, suggestions from friends and previous knowledge/experience with certain accessory movements to choose what I do for accesory days buut like I said, I don't want to keep repeating things in my arsenal nor do I want to do anything stupid and overdo it with accessory work. Also forgot to mention I sometimes do barbell rows for accesory.
  • maranarasauce93
    Options

@Arditarose I haven't seen an app by Wendler so I think she meant some app she bought. If it was actually Wendler's app I would agree with paying for it. [/quote]

The app is called "Wendler Log". It's available in the Apple store by some company called Vandersoft. I literally only use it for calculating my lifts, although the upgrade gives specific info about accessory work and graphs progress.

• arditarose
    Options
    @Arditarose I haven't seen an app by Wendler so I think she meant some app she bought. If it was actually Wendler's app I would agree with paying for it.

The app is called "Wendler Log". It's available in the Apple store by some company called Vandersoft. I literally only use it for calculating my lifts, although the upgrade gives specific info about accessory work and graphs progress.

[/quote]

I mean his books give you advice on accessory work too.

Anyway, your accessory lifts make sense. Do you like it or no?
  • maranarasauce93
    Options

Anyway, your accessory lifts make sense. Do you like it or no?[/quote]

So far, I am definitely liking it! And I like that I get to finish off with heavy AMRAPs every time. The only thing I am struggling with is the AMRAP deadlifts, but then again, I am at a new gym with no chalk and only one decent deadlift bar :'( . Soo my new game plan is to buy my own chalk just so my hands can survive the AMRAPs.
  • arditarose
    Options

So far, I am definitely liking it! And I like that I get to finish off with heavy AMRAPs every time. The only thing I am struggling with is the AMRAP deadlifts, but then again, I am at a new gym with no chalk and only one decent deadlift bar :'( . Soo my new game plan is to buy my own chalk just so my hands can survive the AMRAPs.[/quote]

Why are you struggling? Are you using 90% of your max when you calculate lifts for the cycle?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    1. Infinite
    2. No
    3. I tested at the start. Why do it again? Isn't the AMRAPS enough?
    4. I do the ones in the book, depending on life or how I feel at the time. I also have other fitness goals that have specific exercises. Yours sounds like a hell of a lot for no good reason I can think of. Haven't you just done AMRAP of a major lift already? My advice would be to buy his book. I don't use an app, I used the book to make an excel spreadsheet with formulae.

I think perhaps you're accessory choice is driven by the popular choice of everyone to exercise, and the perception that it's required to destroy yourself each session. Missing the point on why he does calculations on 90% of 1RM instead of 1RM.
    On a program like this you should be training. I recommend searching for interviews of Wendler discussing his program on Youtube.
  • maranarasauce93
    Options

So far, I am definitely liking it! And I like that I get to finish off with heavy AMRAPs every time. The only thing I am struggling with is the AMRAP deadlifts, but then again, I am at a new gym with no chalk and only one decent deadlift bar :'( . Soo my new game plan is to buy my own chalk just so my hands can survive the AMRAPs.

Why are you struggling? Are you using 90% of your max when you calculate lifts for the cycle?[/quote]

I feel like it's a variety of reasons. I personally am not used to pulling more than 3 reps of 90%+ of my 1rm. Plus, for economic reasons, I had to switch to a commercial gym. Unfortunately, that means wall to wall mirrors pretty much, and I sometimes find myself inadvertently staring into the mirror. Also, I pretty much use chalk as a crutch. I feel like my grip suffers big time without it soo when bars have crap knurling, I feel like my grip gets even worse! But all other lifts are going fine :].
  • arditarose
    edited July 2016
    Options
    On the third week aren't you on 95%? And that should be based on only 90% of your 1rm. And if you're pulling 3 reps when you got one on the agenda...You're fine.

ETA sorry if that made no sense. I took 20mg of melatonin that has seriously caught up to me.
  • maranarasauce93
    Options
    1. Infinite
    2. No
    4. I do the ones in the book, depending on life or how I feel at the time. I also have other fitness goals that have specific exercises. Yours sounds like a hell of a lot for no good reason I can think of. Haven't you just done AMRAP of a major lift already? My advice would be to buy his book. I don't use an app, I used the book to make an excel spreadsheet with formulae.

I think perhaps you're accessory choice is driven by the popular choice of everyone to exercise, and the perception that it's required to destroy yourself each session. Missing the point on why he does calculations on 90% of 1RM instead of 1RM.
    On a program like this you should be training. I recommend searching for interviews of Wendler discussing his program on Youtube.

I will follow your suggestions buut I will have you know that I am NOT trying to go crazy with my accessory work. Like I said, I do not like to do all of my accessory work at once. I will pick like 3 or 4 pieces of accessory work to do, and I will either do them at relatively light weight and will decrease volume or weight when I am doing the heavier accessory work. However, on my deload days, I feel that it is fairly reasonable to do an increased amount of accessory work since I am lifting light weight. I also try to incorporate accessory work that is relevant to the parts of the body or the movements utilized in my main lifts.
  • maranarasauce93
    edited July 2016
    Options

Also, I am competing in a powerlifting meet in a few months. I want to test my maxes to know what I should know that I am able to do and where I want to be in terms of strength for my meet date. Based on this statement you made, it would seem like you have different goals than me.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    How are you testing your maxes?

It's the BarbellShrugged video I liked, I looked it up. It's informal and fueled by scotch.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Why are you struggling? Are you using 90% of your max when you calculate lifts for the cycle?

I feel like it's a variety of reasons. I personally am not used to pulling more than 3 reps of 90%+ of my 1rm. Plus, for economic reasons, I had to switch to a commercial gym. Unfortunately, that means wall to wall mirrors pretty much, and I sometimes find myself inadvertently staring into the mirror. Also, I pretty much use chalk as a crutch. I feel like my grip suffers big time without it soo when bars have crap knurling, I feel like my grip gets even worse! But all other lifts are going fine :].

In your 3s week you're only pulling 90% of 90% of your 1rm on the top set. So 3+ for 81% of your 1rm.

You need to buy the books so you understand the program. The books also provide assistance templates. There is no Wendler-published app.

I did 531 most of last year. Have done other programming this year but plan to use the 531 math in future cycles again.

I don't test maxes on a regular basis. I have no need to do so. You don't change your training max based on new tested maxes btw.

My favorite 531 template is the original simplest strength, followed by the full body training template.
  • maranarasauce93
    Options
    On the third week aren't you on 95%? And that should be based on only 90% of your 1rm. And if you're pulling 3 reps when you got one on the agenda...You're fine.

ETA sorry if that made no sense. I took 20mg of melatonin that has seriously caught up to me.

Haha it's ok! Sorry I wasn't very clear. Prior to starting 531, I was not used to pulling 90% or more for more than 3 reps. So you are right; the 3rd week has you do AMRAPs at 95%, of 90% of your 1rm, and that week for DLs I was struggling to even maintain my grip on the bar until given chalk.
  • jemhh
    Options

Haha it's ok! Sorry I wasn't very clear. Prior to starting 531, I was not used to pulling 90% or more for more than 3 reps. So you are right; the 3rd week has you do AMRAPs at 95%, of 90% of your 1rm, and that week for DLs I was struggling to even maintain my grip on the bar until given chalk.

It sounds like your TM is too high. 95% of 90% is still only 86% of your 1rm.

You are not supposed to base your TM on the 1rm you got that one day months ago when the stars aligned and everything you lifted felt like fluffy clouds. The idea is to start low. Struggling in your first cycle is not supposed to happen.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Have you read the book at all?
  • jemhh
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

You are not supposed to base your TM on the 1rm you got that one day months ago when the stars aligned and everything you lifted felt like fluffy clouds. The idea is to start low. Struggling in your first cycle is not supposed to happen.

WOW no need to be condescending! The first 2 weeks weren't a struggle. I just felt really crappy on that week 3 for deadlifts BUT ALL OTHER LIFTS FOR MY FIST CYCLE FEEL GREAT SO DON'T BE A FEMALE DOG ABOUT IT!!! :s

I'm not being condescending. I am stating a fact. Many people who find 5/3/1 via TNation or another online source do not follow through on understanding the program before implementing it. The #1 failure I see people make with it is not setting their TM properly. If you are struggling three weeks into the program, you did not set your TM properly. If being correct makes me a *kitten*, I will happily bark all day. But I also encourage you to learn to take constructive criticism without calling names. It's an important life skill.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

WOW no need to be condescending! The first 2 weeks weren't a struggle. I just felt really crappy on that week 3 for deadlifts BUT ALL OTHER LIFTS FOR MY FIST CYCLE FEEL GREAT SO DON'T BE A FEMALE DOG ABOUT IT!!! :s

I'm not being condescending. I am stating a fact. Many people who find 5/3/1 via TNation or another online source do not follow through on understanding the program before implementing it. The #1 failure I see people make with it is not setting their TM properly. If you are struggling three weeks into the program, you did not set your TM properly. If being correct makes me a *kitten*, I will happily bark all day. But I also encourage you to learn to take constructive criticism without calling names. It's an important life skill.

I'll join you. Woof!

Regarding testing maxes: you're competing in a PL meet in a few months? In that case, don't test maxes until then. Use the calculator in the book to give you an idea of what your maxes will be.
  • maranarasauce93
    Options

So how would you suggest setting your TM. The day before beginning your first cycle? Yeah I've only pulled 245lbs once for my deadlift one month ago, but I have hit 230lbs for 3 before. I just generally dislike volume work, and I am not used to doing any volume work at 200lbs or higher. There's kind of a mental block there.

Anyway...it took a while, but I was able to do my AMRAP at my presecribed 209lbs--I rounded up to 210 for that day. I got 4 reps in but it took some time, chalk, and a friend scolding me for looking in the mirror while deadlifting.

So maybe it wasn't THAT bad, but I didn't feel good about how long it took me to get it together and pull the weight.