Been on keto diet 3 weeks down 19lbs

Options
Keto works if you follow it closely and do it right. Anyone else have luck with it?

Replies

• AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I did keto last year, and lost weight but couldn't keep the low carb intake... a lot of people can though, wish you a lot of luck! Good job!
  • kittn_mittns
    kittn_mittns Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of luck with it the first few months! Then I fell off a bit and now I'm back on and remembering why I was doing it in the first place :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Keto works.
    From Time Magazine quote :
    "Research is mounting that saturated fat is better for you than processed carbohydrates like sugar and white bread"
    http://time.com/4386248/fat-butter-nutrition-health/
  • jhard728
    jhard728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    starting today and I am excited to see if I can do it. Carbs and sugars have always been a struggle for me. Wish me luck!
  • carine0502
    carine0502 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been on Keto /LCHF for the past 6 months and lost 5kg (11lbs) (now 52.5kg(115lbs) for 1.63m (5.3)) it's definitely working for me (and I've tried all the diets!) because I can eat lots of cakes, cookies and other sweet things so I don't feel frustrated at all, the only thing is I need to bake them myself, same goes for pizza or sandwiches. Plus all the good fats keep me satiated longer. And plus again, all of my digestive troubles linked to sugars have gone away. There are million of recipes to pick from so you're pretty much never eating the same meals. so when people ask me how long I'm going to be on this diet, for the 1st time I genuinely answer "forever" I really don't plan on stopping this. Not saying I will never eat pasta or my good old French baguette when back home, but if that happens I will truely enjoy it!
  • foxrider2005
    foxrider2005 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started the first few days on lchp but now have switched over to Keto and so far 5 pounds in 5 days papas bag what is your calorie intake
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Great early mental boost ...hop to see you with 2 years of maintenance at goal weight behind you :)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OP, I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    Anyone else have luck with it?

As to your question, yes, I've had excellent results from it. I follow LCHF due to medical/health reasons (I don't have a choice) and have successfully eliminated 165 pounds. I am currently in maintenance (finally - yay)!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Join the Low Carber Daily group. They are a great, supportive bunch... and don't think people lose 12-19 lbs of water in three weeks. LOL Maybe 5 lbs was water, but carbs make you retain water, so who cares, right? ;)

I've lost over 30lbs on keto too. For some of us, keto makes weightloss a lot more doable.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I gained 11lbs of water after a re-feed day following 11 days with minimal carbs so yes the initial drop is likely to water.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    1 refeed day brought back 11 lbs water weight ..was that weighing 24 hours apart? @trigden1991

Have to say that supports everything I've ever read about water weight with carb depletion in terms of the average levels of water weight but I did think it took slightly longer to replenish glycogen and water in muscles and liver

Interesting
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    A lot of the initial weight loss is water, no lie. Doesn't negate the fact that LCHF makes it pretty easy for me to maintain a deficit and gives me more energy to be active, so I keep losing and it can't all be water.

As for the 11 lb water gain on refeed, not surprised. When I overcarb I retain water like crazy, and also my weight will fluctuate 5-10 pounds daily depending on water intake and (ahem) excretory functions. That might differ from person to person, I don't know, but I'm predisposed to hold water, it seems, even on diuretics.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    1 refeed day brought back 11 lbs water weight ..was that weighing 24 hours apart? @trigden1991

Have to say that supports everything I've ever read about water weight with carb depletion in terms of the average levels of water weight but I did think it took slightly longer to replenish glycogen and water in muscles and liver

Interesting

24hrs apart, weighing dehydrated in the morning. I too was suprised as normally it ranges between 4-7lbs. My last meal was quite late as well so could explain the extra food weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Ditto. Join the Low Carber Daily group. They are a great, supportive bunch... and don't think people lose 12-19 lbs of water in three weeks. LOL Maybe 5 lbs was water, but carbs make you retain water, so who cares, right? ;)

I've lost over 30lbs on keto too. For some of us, keto makes weightloss a lot more doable.

Better hope it was much more than 5lbs of water or that's an unhealthy rate of loss unless OP started out at c. 450lbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You've got a point. 19lbs is a lot to lose in 3 weeks. Say he lost 5 lbs of water, that would leave 14lbs to lose in three weeks, or about 4.5 lbs per week.... It is a lot but I I don't think it is completely unrealistic.

In my n=1 I lost 30lbs in about 3 months, or 2-3 lbs per week, and that put me into a normal BMI. If the OP is heavier than me, than it could happen. @papas_new_bag How are your losses now?