Replies

• SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You can buy extremely low calorie noodles (like 15 cals a pack) called konnyaku, konjac or shirataki noodles. You can find them in east asian food stores.You may also be able to find them in health food stores, but they'll be way more expensive than in the asian supermarkets.

You can use those to substitute regular noodles in some dishes if you're really just craving a meal but can't afford the calories. The texture is a bit odd, but you can experiment with different cooking techniques to try to get a decent texture.

I eat these almost everyday.

I've not eaten them in quite a while as I've moved in with my mum until I get the keys to my new place in September, and there are no Asian supermarkets round here and buying them online is extortionate.

How do you cook them to get a better texture? Sometimes I find the texture to really ruin the dish, I just can't seem to get it right. (Though don't let that put others off trying, it's all relative to opinions I know some people love it).

Yeah I eat two bags at once. Like all the time. I don't care about the price. I used to get them at the Japanese grocery store and they were cheaper.

So I rinse, then squeeze the water out, then start dry frying. Since I use the tofu macaroni ones I think they retain more moisture than the typical Japanese noodle without tofu. I will drain them about 3 times throughout the dry frying process to get more water out. I add a couple wedges of laughing cow cheese to make a cheese sauce,then my meat.

Unfortunately being a uni student I am on a very strict budget, so price matters a lot for me. Thankfully when I move back to my city there are loads of asian supermarkets and they're only around £1.50 a pack.

So you don't boil them at all? Only out of packet, drain/dry then fry? I've not done that before so I'll definitely give it a go. :) thank you.

BOIL? No. Moisture is not their friend. Out of packet and rinse, not just drain.

Thanks I had no idea! The instruction were all in chinese so I couldn't read the instructions! :') and the only way I saw them cooked online by westerners was boiling.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You can buy extremely low calorie noodles (like 15 cals a pack) called konnyaku, konjac or shirataki noodles. You can find them in east asian food stores.You may also be able to find them in health food stores, but they'll be way more expensive than in the asian supermarkets.

You can use those to substitute regular noodles in some dishes if you're really just craving a meal but can't afford the calories. The texture is a bit odd, but you can experiment with different cooking techniques to try to get a decent texture.

I've not eaten them in quite a while as I've moved in with my mum until I get the keys to my new place in September, and there are no Asian supermarkets round here and buying them online is extortionate.

How do you cook them to get a better texture? Sometimes I find the texture to really ruin the dish, I just can't seem to get it right. (Though don't let that put others off trying, it's all relative to opinions I know some people love it).

Yeah I eat two bags at once. Like all the time. I don't care about the price. I used to get them at the Japanese grocery store and they were cheaper.

So I rinse, then squeeze the water out, then start dry frying. Since I use the tofu macaroni ones I think they retain more moisture than the typical Japanese noodle without tofu. I will drain them about 3 times throughout the dry frying process to get more water out. I add a couple wedges of laughing cow cheese to make a cheese sauce,then my meat.

Unfortunately being a uni student I am on a very strict budget, so price matters a lot for me. Thankfully when I move back to my city there are loads of asian supermarkets and they're only around £1.50 a pack.

So you don't boil them at all? Only out of packet, drain/dry then fry? I've not done that before so I'll definitely give it a go. :) thank you.

BOIL? No. Moisture is not their friend. Out of packet and rinse, not just drain.

Thanks I had no idea! The instruction were all in chinese so I couldn't read the instructions! :') and the only way I saw them cooked online by westerners was boiling.

No no no. lol. Dry fry. You probably won't even need to drain during the frying process. When you hear the noodles start to "squeak"you will know they are done. No directions will tell you to do this. It's just...how you do it lol. No I'm kidding, I looked it up online.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

No no no. lol. Dry fry. You probably won't even need to drain during the frying process. When you hear the noodles start to "squeak"you will know they are done. No directions will tell you to do this. It's just...how you do it lol. No I'm kidding, I looked it up online.

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Might be a nice pasta change to the spiralized veg alternative.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Might be a nice pasta change to the spiralized veg alternative.

I like it better than the veg yeah
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I usually just wait it out--it almost always settles down in a few days. I've tried feeding that bottomless pit, and there really is no reasonable calorie amount that helps me. If it lasts too long, I reduce my carbs and make sure I am getting enough protein, fiber, and fat.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Tons and tons of veggies. When I'm starving, I can eat a whole bag of frozen vegetable stirfry all by myself without making a huge dent in my calories. There's lots of low-calorie seasonings you can add, too, like sriracha and low-sodium soy sauce, or Italian herbs with lemon. Add some protein, too, if you're really ravenous, like chicken or lean beef.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Drink water, calorie free drinks or eat zero calorie jelly.
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I had that last montha few days before my TOM, I was completely ravenous and going crazy.
    I went for a walk so that I wasn't idly able to eat anything and that solved the problem, otherwise try fill up on things like salad greens, cucumber, low-calorie jelly etc. that you can eat a ton of and not blow your calories.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I make protein fluff. For 100-200 calories, you might not even be able to finish it.

Did not know this was a thing. I know what I'm doing tomorrow..........

Did you look it up? Just FYI it works better with a casein powder, and the xanthan gum is necessary. I really should start making it again. I could shave some calories off of my days.

I'm going to try to do this. I've seen videos and I know people that eat it, so I really have to get on it. I have a stand mixer that I barely even use, so that should make it easier.

As for the noodles, I want to try them so badly but every brand I've seen thus far as calcium sulfate in it which means if I eat it I will break out in huge painful hives. Maybe I should go the zucchini noodle route, as I've never even cared much for real noodles/pasta to begin with.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It's definitely TOM related for me. I tend to listen to my body but ensure I eat lots of nutrient-dense foods. I also like to eat a bunch of caramel rice cakes, as they're only 50 calories each and they're quite filling yet satisfy that crunchy-sweet-salty craving I usually have.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Totally forgot about these noodles from back in the days when I used hungry girl recipes!

Can someone point me to their favorite protein fluff recipe they use?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I fill up on a TON of low calorie foods.

I usually make a box of sugar free jello (make and eat a whole box!), make myself a snacking plate which has 1 apple thinly sliced, 4 large carrots cut into matchsticks, 4 large celery stalks cut into snack size, a half cup of grapes sliced in half, and a half cup of cherry tomatoes cut in half. I also love adding a whole cucumber cut into matchsticks and topped with salt and pepper.

Then i go to town.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Help! Every once in a while, I have a day like today.

I am literally a bottomless pit of hunger. I eat what I have planned and would normally satisfy me for hours and it's as if I haven't ingested a thing. I'm not thirsty, I'm not bored. I am ravenous.

ALL DAY LONG

What do you do when this happens to you?

This usually doesn't happen to me if I've eaten quality, high-protein foods. My problem is usually boredom. To stave off hunger in general, I drink a lot of water with lemon, black tea (caffeine or herbal), or chicken broth (10 calories a serving).
  • jennasbarton
    jennasbarton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I get this maybe one or 2 days a month usually bang in the middle of my cycle, regardless of if I've been eating crap or doing really well. I try to drink more water and black coffee and fill up on stuff that is lower calorie and reasonable protein so eggs, hummus, etc or add some soup to my lunch and dinner. I find citrus fruit like satsumas can help die it down and also biltong or beef jerky as they are quite salty and encourage me to drink more water too.
    Usually it is just a hungry day, doesn't matter what I eat I'm still hungry so I try not to go off the rails.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I drink some bouillon on days like this. I tend to crave salt instead of sugar and it really helps with that. I can sip on it instead of snacking on chips or peanuts. Greek yogurt is a good snack too, the protein makes it stick with you pretty well.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    This is what I do (and it ain't necessarily fun) - eat the heck out of baby spinach and/or broccoli. I find either of them to be satiating and obviously low calorie, and what calories it does provide are mostly all good stuff (protein + fiber). So, when I chow down on a bag of Trader Joe's baby spinach ($1.99 per), I'm not craving anything any more.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Protein works well for me. I also make a LOT of popcorn. Granted, with butter not the most calorie-conscious choice, but it's not as bad as you think if you limit your butter, and since it's also a way for me to really up my sodium, it helps a lot!
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too, and I spoke to my dietitian about it. She said that what might help is to make sure you have some protein with every meal (and snacks if you can), and eat the protein portion first. She said that will make it stick a little more and satiate that hunger longer. So far it's worked for me, even around that TOM. :)
  • IriaSparcast
    IriaSparcast Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If i start my day with anything but protein, i'm starving ALL DAY regardless of calories or sheer volume of food. Even worse when it's that TOM. I do a Quest protein bar in the morning during the work week, and usually soft-boiled eggs mashed with bacon on weekends. I also find that good hydration and delaying until i finish a cuppa tea helps. Just one more cup...just one more cup....one more.....ok, now it's lunch time.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Seems like im preaching to the choir here but TOM is definitely when those days come for me. I tend to have a bad binge eating problem but 2-3 days before TOM are the DANGER zone for me. Having preprepped snacks at work helps me a lot and running after work usually makes me too tired to make more food lol