Does anyone use "Map My Walk"?

Options
Hi everybody! I'm new on here, sort of :) I just started using Map my walk. It's a fantastic app and it seems pretty accurate. I just did a mile right now which is a lot for me and it says I burned 365 calories :) now tell me your stories...

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The calorie burn estimate on MapMyWalk is very, very high. I walk 2 miles using it daily pretty quickly, and it overestimates my burn by well over 100 calories. I would highly recommend you use MFP's database for the burn if you intend to eat those calories back.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I tried using it, but if I lose internet connection then I lose the app and it stops working. In the end I just time my walks and add it to MFP
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've used it, but it seemed to take up a lot of battery power. I pay no attention to calorie burn estimates from apps or machines as they tend to be inaccurate. I track my food, get whatever activity in I can, and weigh myself regularly. If was hungry, I would not eat back a set amount of calories based on an estimate. I would eat a small amount to manage my hunger.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I find MapMy Fill_In_The_Blank to grossly overestimate my calories burned.

When I first started my Weight Loss Journey I tried MMF, Endomondo, Strava, Run Keeper, Nike Run, Wahoo Fitness and some others and I still find MMF to be high.
  • shank6
    shank6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use map my walk almost every day. The other comments are valid: I've suspected it over estimates and it does use a lot of battery. But the benefits I see out way this. I like the tracking and splits feature, plus it posts to MFP so quickly. And the best part is I can change the activity without having to download the other "map my ..." apps.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »

When I first started my Weight Loss Journey I tried MMF, Endomondo, Strava, Run Keeper, Nike Run, Wahoo Fitness and some others and I still find MMF to be high.

If you tried different apps, which did you find most accurate/conservative? I use Runkeeper and it seems pretty reasonable and inline with MFP estimates.
  • CincyNeid
    Options

If you tried different apps, which did you find most accurate/conservative? I use Runkeeper and it seems pretty reasonable and inline with MFP estimates.

My question is how do you know MFP is 100% rock solid? All of these numbers we're throwing around are best guest estimates.

Personally, when I run I use a Forerunner 220 with a HRM, and when I cycle I have a Edge 520 that captures my Cadence, Speed, GPS, and Wattage [through a power meter] and Garmin, Strava, Endomond, and Training Peaks are all in the same ball park when it comes to Calories burned. Map My Fitness always seemed 100-200 calories higher than everyone else. Run Keeper I used when I did my C25K and it was always 75-100 calories higher than everyone else. Now with that [using RK & C25K] being said that was when I was 50-60 pounds heavier than I am now.

The reason I did that is the thinking of if 4 of the 5 match up then those 4 are going to be inline.

• jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I use map my walk as a pre-planning tool, to determine the distance of my planned walk, or to help me figure out how long a route will take me to walk at my normal pace.

I have a fitbit, which I (loosely) rely on for calorie burned, etc.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options

My question is how do you know MFP is 100% rock solid? All of these numbers we're throwing around are best guest estimates.

Personally, when I run I use a Forerunner 220 with a HRM, and when I cycle I have a Edge 520 that captures my Cadence, Speed, GPS, and Wattage [through a power meter] and Garmin, Strava, Endomond, and Training Peaks are all in the same ball park when it comes to Calories burned. Map My Fitness always seemed 100-200 calories higher than everyone else. Run Keeper I used when I did my C25K and it was always 75-100 calories higher than everyone else. Now with that [using RK & C25K] being said that was when I was 50-60 pounds heavier than I am now.

The reason I did that is the thinking of if 4 of the 5 match up then those 4 are going to be inline.

I conceded that they are estimates in my original question. I even used the word "estimates." But thanks, I was just looking for a perspective from someone who tried different technologies, so that's helpful.

• CincyNeid
    Options

I conceded that they are estimates in my original question. I even used the word "estimates." But thanks, I was just looking for a perspective from someone who tried different technologies, so that's helpful.

No worries. I'm a "number junkie". Admittedly more that I should be.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've used a few different apps, I found Mapmywalk to be the least accurate in terms of calories and miles. I use Endomondo and I have used RunKeeper, which I really like also.
  • lay2244
    lay2244 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    To me that app is good but it is just a app it is just for you to get a idea of what you maybe burning
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I use Simply Walking. It is quite basic but serves my needs. I don't know how "true" it is, but it is consistent with itself, so provides a solid base for my judgements.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I like Map My Walk/Run, simply because I need something to help me keep track of distance, speed, and audio reminders so I know when it's been a minute (I'm just starting out running, doing the 2 mins walking, 1 minute running splits). I know for a fact without it I regularly underestimate my time out and overestimate my speed. Also, I tend to poorly estimate how long a minute actually is when i'm exerting myself, 20 seconds becomes "yeah that was probably about a minute" lol! ;) I do not pay the "calories burned" any mind because I've never had luck with machines or programs giving me accurate numbers.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    We use it. Lately one phone is off by 100% so it's useless.
  • Charabz69
    Charabz69 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have used Map My Walk/Run in the past and I agree I think the calories burned is overestimated. I use a Myzone belt when I go to classes (it's basically a heart rate monitor) but I find that it really overestimates calories burned also. I normally knock 100 cals off the amount it says and try not to 'eat' all of the extra calories.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyrun and can eat calories burned, find them accurate for running, though I may be an outlier as I'm tall for my weight. I like it a lot, the little updates at each mile and the way it tracks the route, and I can enter the yoga classes in the same app, and it throws them over here to MFP. I don't like the incessant ads and calls to upgrade. It does seem to have crazy calorie estimates for yoga, so I just record those workouts as shorter (in time) than they are - though the calorie burn was in line with the fitbit worn by another student, so I don't think it comes from nowhere, it doesn't seem to work for me, maybe I am slacking in there or something, or perhaps my body is efficient at that stuff.

Anyway - yes I use and like the mapmyrun app.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyXXX and choose my activity.

depending on the speed of my cardio (walk for this) I can burn about 100 calories a mile.

So let's say I do a mile in 15mins....that is about 4.5mph....100 calories..MFP gives me 107...

choose your poison...I use my jawbone.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I like it, but use my Fitbit zips calorie estimates.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I like the app for tracking distance but I don't sync it to MFP, and I don't pay attention to it for calorie burns. Looking at some past workouts now, the burns seem high. 371 cals for 3.5 miles/43 minutes. At most, I burn ~7 cals a minute for running and this was intervals of running and walking. Another workout for 2.34 miles / 41 minutes for 169 cals is realitic for me for walking. Not a lot of data but my initial conclusion is it gives me too much credit for running but is better about walking.

In general, we don't burn as much as we often think we do. I'm ~130 pounds, so of course someone heavier would burn more for the same intensity/duration than I do.
    Hi everybody! I'm new on here, sort of :) I just started using Map my walk. It's a fantastic app and it seems pretty accurate. I just did a mile right now which is a lot for me and it says I burned 365 calories :) now tell me your stories...