Can non experts give expert advice?

Options
If you see a plane that crashed into a tree you can say, "wow, someone really screwed up" and I will understand you don't need to be a pilot to make that statement for its understood that someone or something really screwed up.

When it comes to health and fitness I get lots of unsolicited advice from my family and they're not even in shape. My rule of thumb is that unless someone ask or remotely hints for the request for health and fitness advice I don't give it. It can be down right offensive to some, and I don't care of people want to be out-of-shape looking for that's their business and not mine. I am not here to save the world. Some of the things said or asked are:

Them: You need to gain weight.
What I want to say/ ask: What sort of weight? Should I stop exercising?

Them: You need to gain more muscle.
What I want to say/ ask: Where's your muscle?

Them: Did you get this small on purpose?
What I want to say/ ask: Are you staying your current size on purpose?

Them: Why do you eat so much if you want to lose weight?
What I want to say/ ask: Did you ever meet anyone who got far eating veggies, fruit, and lean meat but avoided pop, candy, and junk food?

Them: Why do you eat 12 times a day?
What I want to say/ ask: I like to spread my meals out instead of wolfing it down two or three times a day.

Them: Isn't eating healthy much expensive?
What I want to say/ ask: Isn't lying in your death bed dying expensive?

Them: Why are you eating cheese if you're trying to lose weight?
What I want to say/ ask: You must know my fitness plan. Please do tell me about it.

Them: Why are you eating carbs if you're trying to lose weight?
What I want to say/ ask: Did I say I was on a low or carb free diet (which I am not)?

Them: That's fattening for you so don't eat that.
What I want to say/ ask: Are you a dietitian?

There are some more I can't think of. I really don't want to alienate anyone but much of their questions are based on ignorance of health and fitness and assumptions of me. I am slowing educating them. For my background, I was nearly 200lbs a year ago. I am now 145lbs with 8% body. I won't lie, I have a rigid eat habit, and I work out a lot. I take my fitness very seriously, but I still manage to eat tacos, just not every single day.

Replies

• minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    A non committal "aha" and changing the subject works 99% of the time and saves a boat load of family/friend/coworker arguments
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    It seems the answer is "yes, yes they can."
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Wow you have intrusive family/friends...how about "I'm sorry, I don't discuss my weight or diet with anyone except my doctor."
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It's so strange how people want to share their opinions about other people's bodies and eating habits. We wouldn't really dream of asking an overweight person if they mean to keep gaining weight or if they know how bad that is for them (and society, but I digress).

But yeah, just shut them down. Not their place to give advice.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    People's experience makes them an expert. No they aren't nutritionists or experts. They just know what works for them. Nothing wrong with that.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If someone were to look at Lyle McDonald, they'd think he was a non-expert. Heck, I've seen people dismiss him and his lifting/exercise advice because he isn't jacked/ripped/hyoooge. That is most definitely a bad idea.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think that, most of the time with these kind of comments, the easiest thing to do is answer very simply and then move on. Engaging in more thought about the answers just wastes your time and irritates you and then actually giving a long explanation gives the impression that you want to discuss them.

Them: You need to gain weight.
    Answer: Okay.

Them: You need to gain more muscle.

Them: Did you get this small on purpose?
    Answer: Yes.

Them: Why do you eat so much if you want to lose weight?
    Answer: Because I like to.

Them: Why do you eat 12 times a day?

Them: Isn't eating healthy much expensive?
    Answer: No.

Them: Why are you eating cheese if you're trying to lose weight?

Them: Why are you eating carbs if you're trying to lose weight?

Them: That's fattening for you so don't eat that.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    This was so funny to me because I think the same thing:
    1- you need to gain more muscle
    WHERE IS YOUR MUSCLE
    HAHAHAHAHAHAAA
    everyone thinks they know best.
    Do You and ignore ;-)
  • honorthecolors
    honorthecolors Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow you have intrusive family/friends...how about "I'm sorry, I don't discuss my weight or diet with anyone except my doctor."

Your lucky