Pokemon go

Options

Replies

• KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    I grew up with Pokemon, but really have no interest in the app (I'm not much for playing games on my phone). I am just annoyed with everyone talking about it all the time! I have coworkers who constantly feel the need to tell me which Pokemon are around and which one's they've caught., ect... It's like, dude, I don't care. Just play your Pokemon in peace. I don't need or want a play-by-play. Thanks.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »

Not to mention there's a lot of complicated things going on behind the scenes in the game, you're just not aware of it :) The literally hundreds of various type matchup possibilities, the hidden values of each Pokemon that you have to calculate yourself, the value of powering up an inherently strong Pokemon with your limited currency vs. keeping an initially strong Pokemon with less potential for the short term, finding a route that maximizes your output, balancing which Pokemon you want to keep with what you want to transfer due to the Pokemon limit (or the same for items, which is where I struggle), when/where to lure a PokeStop or use a Lucky Egg....and this is ignoring the new things that they're discovering every day. The hidden values of Pokemon was just discovered a few days ago!

Hidden values??? wait, what?? now I gotta go google some more!

and I wasted a lucky egg the other day because I thought it was just like an egg, but with a prize in it :(
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Not to mention there's a lot of complicated things going on behind the scenes in the game, you're just not aware of it :) The literally hundreds of various type matchup possibilities, the hidden values of each Pokemon that you have to calculate yourself, the value of powering up an inherently strong Pokemon with your limited currency vs. keeping an initially strong Pokemon with less potential for the short term, finding a route that maximizes your output, balancing which Pokemon you want to keep with what you want to transfer due to the Pokemon limit (or the same for items, which is where I struggle), when/where to lure a PokeStop or use a Lucky Egg....and this is ignoring the new things that they're discovering every day. The hidden values of Pokemon was just discovered a few days ago!

Hidden values??? wait, what?? now I gotta go google some more!

and I wasted a lucky egg the other day because I thought it was just like an egg, but with a prize in it :(

Yup, it's like in the real games - every Pokemon has an IV (individual value) from 0 to 15 for Attack, Defense, and Stamina. There are calculators online now, up until they discovered this I was just evolving my strongest ones but now some of them have less potential than if I got a new one and I can't decide how to handle it...haha
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm all into getting high CP Pokemon now. And the collector in me wants one of each, so as I catch higher value Pokemon I transfer out the lower values and evolve into new Pokemon as I can. It does seem that leveling up opens the horizon to catching more higher CP and more variety. There are Pokestops on the block where I work, but it seems there is nothing 'good' to catch here. Busy streets & traffic are not Pokemon friendly I guess. So now on my way to work, I stop at a park and walk on the trails for 30 minutes before work. Real life squirrels, birds and a stream with wooden bridges is more enjoyable for a morning walk. I've passed this park 5x a week for nearly 10 years, finally stopped for the first time last week because I knew parks tend to have a better variety of Pokemon. Glad I did!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    lol dangit.. it's sucking me in more. I never played pokemon when i was younger, so unfamiliar with all the nuances of the game, I just think the creatures are cute and it's fun. I'll have to see if I can become better at the game so i can maybe win at the gym at some point
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    I felt confused about gyms at first.

First - a tip to get xp fast so that you can level up: Catch every Pidgey you find. When you have 12 Pidgey candy evolve for extra XP. Otherwise transfer them to the Professor for extra candy. Same for the little worms and caterpillars. (Don't recall their Pokemon-names.)

You want to evolve higher CP Pokemon. The little white half-circle arc above the Pokemon shows where it is on the CP scale. Evolving one of a highish CP will give you a new Pokemon of a high-ish CP.

When you train in friendly gyms (your color) you add prestige to the gym and get xp for you. You train one Pokemon at a time. Use potions to heal it after.

When you battle in unfriendly gyms (other colors) you get to use 6 Pokemon. If you can take out even 1 of the Pokemon in the gym with your 6, you'll get some XP and knock one of them out. Heal up your Pokemon and repeat until there are no more in the gym - and then you can put one of yours in to claim the gym.

You can claim coins in the shop daily if you have any Pokemon in a gym. If you're able to go to a park very early in the morning, before the teens are up, this is a good time to take over gyms to get coins. Use coins to upgrade your inventory space and other stuff. 'My' park has 3 gyms. I saw a guy start at the front of the park, and one by one take them over. The gyms change often, and I don't even try if there are more than 3-4 Pokemon in an enemy gym OR if there are a bunch of people around playing.
    lol dangit.. it's sucking me in more. I never played pokemon when i was younger, so unfamiliar with all the nuances of the game, I just think the creatures are cute and it's fun. I'll have to see if I can become better at the game so i can maybe win at the gym at some point

• Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If you want to get really serious about it there are a lot of detailed strategy discussions on the Silph Road subreddit. That's where all the datamining, optimization, and discussion on the game happens in my experience :)https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I joined a local PokemonGO facebook page for my city. They post tips and organize walking parties in the local parks.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I let my husband do all the research now...he has a plan for after his night shifts to sit and evolve a bunch using a lucky egg (2x exp) for 30mins so we can level higher...
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    My daughter was saving all her Pidgeys, and Pidgey candy, meaning to do the same. She was aiming for 100 pidgey candy and was almost there. Then her boyfriend got her phone and wasted all her candy and star dust powering up pidgeys. She is plotting her revenge.
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I let my husband do all the research now...he has a plan for after his night shifts to sit and evolve a bunch using a lucky egg (2x exp) for 30mins so we can level higher...

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    My daughter was saving all her Pidgeys, and Pidgey candy, meaning to do the same. She was aiming for 100 pidgey candy and was almost there. Then her boyfriend got her phone and wasted all her candy and star dust powering up pidgeys. She is plotting her revenge.
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Son...of...a...*kitten*...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    vanessa40 wrote: »
    I do not understand the appeal of this game. I tried it..guess i am too old..lol

I'm with you on this! I am quite ok with kids going nuts but the older adults, it just seems a little too elementary. After I saw on TV an adult male hit a cop car while Pokemon and driving, that did it for me!

I play video games using my home gaming console and love it. Being stuck to my phone for hours? I will leave that to everyone else.

I'm 33 years old and Pokemon was part of my childhood. I don't know why it's so surprising that something we grew up on would continue to be a part of our life as we age.

Since downloading the app, I'm out and moving more. I'm learning about new parks and places in my neighborhood and town. It's helped my depression and I'm sleeping better than I have in months. I've reconnected with old friends I haven't spoken to in months because we're sharing the game. I'm getting some much needed sunlight and I've been out engaging with my community since most of the stops in the area are in our downtown cultural district.

If you can't tell, I'm kind of sick of the PokemonGO hate. Being stuck on my couch for hours? No thanks. I'll leave that to everyone else. I need to walk another kilometer at lunch so this egg will hatch!

This was my opnion.. and I am not a hater, I just choose to not want to partake and do feel it a bit elementary for older adults. Me and my husband both tried it.. We both just thought it was stupid. sorry just me!

You don't see how calling the game stupid and too elementary for older people is an insult to older people that play it?

Anyway what I'm saying is that calling it stupid and elementary is both and insult and speaks to a surface-level understanding of the game, and yeah - it's tiring to explain over and over to people that don't bother to learn the game but enjoy passing judgment on it the ways that they're wrong about it.

If you take my opionion as an insult then you let things that people say bother you! Why would you do that?

My opinion is not passing judgement, its a free country do what you like!
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    My girls are 14 & 16. The 14 year old isn't 'into' PG. But her phone is also kind of poor on GPS quality. She is contemplating a new phone for her birthday later this year - which would be a $100-150 low end Samsung model.

I know what you mean though - my 16 year old flips back & forth in her moods so much I can't keep up. Sometimes we are good, and other times she acts like we are crazy and she can't believe she is stuck with us.
    Bj0223 wrote: »

Not to mention, 15yr old girls are a species unlike any other so I'm enjoying my time with my daughter too :)

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My opinion and choice of words not directed at you personally or anyone directly in this forum. Let it go already.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love that my 8 year old wants to go walking with me. If we need to play a game to do it, I'm all for that!