Am I exercising too much?

Options
I work out 6 days a week and do about 20,000 to 23,000 steps 5 days of those 6. The 6th day I do between 20,000 and 15,000 (which is the daily goal I set for myself). I've recently added in a weight training routine too. I ask if I'm exercising too much because I've been slow to lose weight recently. I was stuck fluctuating between 275 and 270 for about a month and a half but just his past Sunday I dropped down to 267 so I have finally lost something.

Replies

• BodayJohnnay
    BodayJohnnay Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you consuming daily? (Are you tracking and weighing food?)
    How active are you with your workouts?
    How intense are they and how long of duration?

Have you figured your TDEE calories with online fitness calculator? (Total calories burned daily)

When getting into a resistance strength training routine, your body is put through different types of stresses and work compared to walking.(cardio) Some people will fluctuate with that change or even plateau. Different goals require different energy.
  • rshouse87
    rshouse87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I consume 1,850-2,100 calories. I use a garmin a usually get about 2 and a half to 3 hours of walking/running a day. Yes, I keep track of the calories burned daily with the mfp app. I don't have a food scale but I tend to over estimate the calories I consume based on portions on food labels. But I've been told on another thread to check out a food scale so I'll definitely look in to that.
  • rshouse87
    Options
    And yes I do track everything I consume. I forgot to say that.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    How do you feel? When you say working out what do you mean?

There is a lot of range available in what you are describing.
  • BodayJohnnay
    Options
    rshouse87 wrote: »
    I consume 1,850-2,100 calories. I use a garmin a usually get about 2 and a half to 3 hours of walking/running a day. Yes, I keep track of the calories burned daily with the mfp app. I don't have a food scale but I tend to over estimate the calories I consume based on portions on food labels. But I've been told on another thread to check out a food scale so I'll definitely look in to that.

So you just walk and run for working out? So cardio, and no resistance strength training? If I'm reading correctly
  • BodayJohnnay
    Options
    I can guarantee quicker results for your goals with implementing weights into your routine 3-5 days per week if you aren't already doing so.
  • rshouse87
    Options
    I recently started a weight training routine. I do 3 days a week, on top of the cardio that I already mentioned. And in response to the other person, when I'm done with my work outs I definitely feel like I've busted my butt. My clothes are always soaked and my legs are always tired.
  • upoffthemat
    Options
    I am wondering if you aren't eating more than you think you are. For the amount of exercise you are doing and weight you are I would think you would be losing 1.5-2 pounds a week at a minimum. You may be missing something in your logging.
  • rshouse87
    Options
    I drink protein drinks to compensate for the protein that I'm supposed to get on top of a handful of nuts for breakfast/lunch. Dinner I usually make half a cup of brown rice with have a can of different kinds of beans and either shrimp or chicken for the bulk of the protein at dinner. I'm about 85 percent sure I'm logging accurately within possibly 100 calories either under or over what my total is in mfp. I'm going to invest in a food scale to get even more accurate, but to compensate for the inaccuracy of using measuring cups I tend to add extra calories to the serving I've measured out just to be sure.
  • rshouse87
    Options
    I guess what I'm wondering is, is my body holding on to my weight because I'm over stressing it by exercising too much? And should I think about cutting down the amount of days I exercise? Or am I just at a plateau? Keep in mind that I'm in the seventh month of this cardio routine, and I'm at about a month of weight training now. I did take a break on all exercise for a week because I had no way to do it. That was about a month and a half ago.
  • upoffthemat
    Options
    CICO should still be the rule. Weight loss isn't linear and you may have a few weeks where things don't add up totally. How fast were you losing before recently? The other thing to keep in mind is that you have to be getting in better shape as far as cardio goes and you are still losing weight. It may not be as fast as you want, but the trend is still in the right way. Sounds like you are doing a lot of healthy things for yourself. There is a lot of positive to focus on right now. How are your clothes fitting? Are you able to do more physically than you could last month?
  • rshouse87
    Options
    Thank you! I know that I'm headed in the right direction. I started at 325 as of December 2015 and am now down to 268. My highest was 350 so I've definitely lost. My clothes fit a lot better than they did when I started, I'm definitely able to do more physically now than I was a month ago. I feel good about myself and the progress and routine that I have made and maintain. It's just frustrating getting stuck at a particular weight for more than 3 weeks at a time. I've plateaued a couple times during this process so I know the best thing to do is push through which is what I've been doing. I'm just ready to see smaller numbers on the scale hahaha.