Does this really work?

Options

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I used a different calculator and used 4 miles, 5% incline(I don't know what % 300 feet is) and it gave me 506 calories. So, you probably burned between 375 and 500. My guess is that you don't have your weight input correctly or that you were on a very high incline. High inclines will give you higher calorie burns than just walking faster! Err on the side of caution and log 375-400 in mfp.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    As long as you stick to it and make eating changes for life, not just do a diet. The problem with WW, that I have seen anyways, is that once someone loses the weight they go back to eating like they did before- regular food and not the WW brand food.

This is the problem with *all* diets. I've done many over the years, lost weight, and gained it back again in a couple of years. There's clearly something wrong with the concept of dieting: dividing your life into dieting time with its own set of rules, and non-dieting time with a different set of rules. I'm 69 years old and running out of time to get healthy. MFP has been a great help to me. Does it work? It's helped me get from 257 pounds down to 184.

I find the calculator here useful in figuring out how many calories I need for a certain level of activity and weight loss:

http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Of course. 1400 calories is not that much.
  • kschramm7
    kschramm7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. So far I'm really liking this. I've been eating healthy, losing weight and exercising since December 2014, and I'm finding this change refreshing.
  • sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    kschramm7 wrote: »
    Yup, I already have a food scale and weigh/measure/count just about everything I eat. Since WW works on a points system (30 points a day) and not calorie counting, I just wasn't sure if 1420 net calories a day was really reasonable to lose 1/2 pound a week or not. I guess I'll just have to eat them and see where I stand in a couple weeks.

I'd be thrilled to be able to eat 1400 net calories and maintain AND get to have a treat once in a while that WW has made so oppressively pointy, you feel guilty for even considering it.

ndsz50rryt5u.jpg

Awesome job you've done so far love the pic file ... As they say you should be able to have everything in moderation plan for it have it enjoy it that's what life all about ....
    Again most of us don't eat back all our exercise calories , give it a couple of weeks there are lots of really helpful people on here
    good luck
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Nothing works ..unless you want it to work..and you do the work..then anything will work. MFP and anything else one chooses to use, are simply tools..to help you do the job.

I joined this site..and it has helped me tremendously. I'm down about 65 pounds since March 1st..but this only assists me in tracking calories in and out..

I made up my mind to change my life. If this tool wasn't here..maybe it would be harder..maybe not..it all starts with your mind..

And as others have said..be careful in putting correct information into whatever you use..as there is no way anyone walks at a 15.4 MPH clip. (Your MapMyWalk stats) You walked 3.85 miles in 1 hour 2 minutes and 6 seconds..so you are walking less than 3.85 miles per hour. (Which is a good pace BTW) I did 58 minutes this morning at about that pace..(my (&*(^^#$@#^^()*)()&$ did not work so I don't have accurate stats, but MFP had me at a little over 400 calories burned and I weigh 243 pounds. I'd guess you burned perhaps 300 calories? Just a guess however...

Keep on Trucking!
  • kschramm7
    Options
    Well, looks like the calories assigned by MFP is working! I'm down 0.8 lbs this week (with a day to go)! I know it'll take a few weeks to really tell with my goal being only 1/2 pound a week, and normal fluctuations, but I'm encouraged! I'm finding staying around 1420 calories a day very doable. The pics above were taken every 10 pounds. Hoping I can add one or 2 more to it over the next year :-)
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Well, looks like the calories assigned by MFP is working! I'm down 0.8 lbs this week (with a day to go)! I know it'll take a few weeks to really tell with my goal being only 1/2 pound a week, and normal fluctuations, but I'm encouraged! I'm finding staying around 1420 calories a day very doable. The pics above were taken every 10 pounds. Hoping I can add one or 2 more to it over the next year :-)

Yay!!!! So glad you're feeling like it's working for you. :)
  • Charlito29
    Charlito29 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yup, I already have a food scale and weigh/measure/count just about everything I eat. Since WW works on a points system (30 points a day) and not calorie counting, I just wasn't sure if 1420 net calories a day was really reasonable to lose 1/2 pound a week or not. I guess I'll just have to eat them and see where I stand in a couple weeks.

I'd be thrilled to be able to eat 1400 net calories and maintain AND get to have a treat once in a while that WW has made so oppressively pointy, you feel guilty for even considering it.

ndsz50rryt5u.jpg

Your pictures are GREAT. You look wonderful.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    New to MyFitnessPal but not to dieting. I've lost 80 lbs using Weight Watchers and am at a healthy weight for the first time in my adult life (and I just turned 50!). I go to the gym 3+ x a week, take spin and Ab & Glut classes mostly but just started working out with a trainer (just once a week for now). If I can't get to the gym, I have a treadmill, stationary bike & elliptical at home to use.

So I'm 5'6", 152 lbs and 50 yrs old. I work as a programmer so I'm on my butt most of the day. Weather permitting I do go for a pretty good walk at lunch. MapMyWalk calculated it at 3.75 miles at 15.4 mph, with a 300 foot change in elevation and said I burned 697 calories, which I find REALLY hard to believe.

I wear a pedometer daily and make sure to get in at least 10,000 steps a day also, so I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not a couch potato.

When I entered my stats, and that I wanted to continue to lose 1/2 pound a week, it calculated my "net calories" at 1420 a day.

Really? Lets forget the "net" part. Can I really eat 1400 calories a day and lose weight? Or have you found that your real calorie intake has to be lower than the app calculates?

I am also a programmer. I set my activity level at sedentary and it gives me about 2100 calories to lose about 1 lb a week without exercise. I log all of my excercise from walks and working out. Didn't seem possible but it definitely is. If anything it underestimates my calories a little.

With any estimate there is variability. The beauty of MFP is give it 4 weeks and do what is recommended. If the desired results are not being acheived then adjust accordingly.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    BiggDaddy58- love the statement "Nothing works ..unless you want it to work..and you do the work..then anything will work. " It is so true.

Kschramm7-Congratulations on your weight loss. :)
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    You've had plenty of advice so I'll just add CONGRATS on your progress!!!!! :)
    I also just hit that 50 year mark. Glad you found us
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    What fabulous progress. How much more weight do you want to lose?
  • kschramm7
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    What fabulous progress. How much more weight do you want to lose?

Not sure to be honest. I've never been this thin before (at least in my adult life). I got down to 147. something lbs toward the end of last year, but have gained a few pounds back (4 lbs now) with the program changes Weight Watchers has made, so I'm thinking 10 lbs then re-evaluate. Stuff still jiggles, so hopefully with a few less pounds and a bit more muscle stuff will stop jiggling a bit :smile:
  • kschramm7
    Options
    Well, just finished week 2 and lost 0.8 lbs. more! So 1420 daily calories and eating back a few of my exercise calories seems to be the right formula so far. Pretty thrilled to see the scale trend significantly downward for 2 weeks straight. It's been a while since I've seen that.

This week MAY be a challenge. I have a mini vacation where there will be 2 HUGE parties. I'm bringing a taco salad 1 day, and a light spinach dip another day, plus I'm loading the trailer with good foods...fruits & veggies, chicken, fish, salad & sandwich fixings that I can eat for breakfast, lunch and before the parties.

I also made diet appletinis (skinny mixes...zero calorie drink mixes), and regular ones. Hopefully 1 regular one and I'll be happy with diet ones thereafter.

Anyway, happy to report 2 weeks, 2 losses in excess of the 1/2 pound a week I wanted!
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    New to MyFitnessPal but not to dieting. I've lost 80 lbs using Weight Watchers and am at a healthy weight for the first time in my adult life (and I just turned 50!). I go to the gym 3+ x a week, take spin and Ab & Glut classes mostly but just started working out with a trainer (just once a week for now). If I can't get to the gym, I have a treadmill, stationary bike & elliptical at home to use.

So I'm 5'6", 152 lbs and 50 yrs old. I work as a programmer so I'm on my butt most of the day. Weather permitting I do go for a pretty good walk at lunch. MapMyWalk calculated it at 3.75 miles at 15.4 mph, with a 300 foot change in elevation and said I burned 697 calories, which I find REALLY hard to believe.

I wear a pedometer daily and make sure to get in at least 10,000 steps a day also, so I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not a couch potato.

When I entered my stats, and that I wanted to continue to lose 1/2 pound a week, it calculated my "net calories" at 1420 a day.

Really? Lets forget the "net" part. Can I really eat 1400 calories a day and lose weight? Or have you found that your real calorie intake has to be lower than the app calculates?

My guess is that if you added up the actual calories of what you were eating on WW it would be close to 1400 (including fruit, veggies, sauces that you were eating that WW Points/Points + doesn't really account for). I'm 5' 6" and was about 150 when I started and I lost consistently with a daily target of 1400 plus one meal where I went drastically over (planned cheat meal, which isn't for everybody, but in the WW world that would basically be a meal where you used all your flex points).
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    @kschramm7 Way to go!!!! :)
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

MFP works off lowering your required caloric intake. 1400 is already lower than what you are required in accordance with your BMI.

As far as does it work? Yes. From June of 2014, to June of 2015 I went from 326 pounds down to 217 pound. And I've been maintaining right at 235 pounds for about a year or so now. These pictures were taken every 2 months apart over that first year.
    536jdlzb758y.jpg