TMI Question A Little but I need Help...

Options
2»

Replies

• cwang125
    cwang125 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What you eat is just as important as tracking your caloric intake. You can be under or hitting your target goals every day but if you are eating insufficient fiber you can have decreased bowel movements.

Feces is excess food waste that the body was unable to absorb throughout the digestion process. For example, if you had nothing but protein shakes you can expect to have almost no bowel movements.

As stated previously, Proper nutrition is as important as tracking total daily intake.
  • wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Be careful with senna. I, um, reacted REALLY strongly to it. Start with a half cup, wait a day and see.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    In the BM future, some advice.

If you go 3+ days with no poo, or very little, that's the point at which its considered constipation from a medical standpoint and needs intervention.

First level of intervention is a stimulant laxative, like magnesium citrate or senna (also sold as Senakot, a pill).

Second level is an enema.

Third level involves exam gloves and KY jelly. (No, really.)

After that is surgery.

The first two interventions can be managed at home, but keep records of what you took and when in case the problem doesn't resolve and your need to talk to the doctor.

As we eat less food, we have less volume for poo. Adding foods high in fiber and bulk (beans are good) helps give your body something to push with. A certain amount of fat in your diet is good as well, as it seems to keep the poo softer somehow.

Good poos to everyone! (I eventually gave in and started taking benefiber in my morning coffee myself, problem solved!)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    OP, so your poop isn't as you would like it? It doesn't sound like your constipated to me (not being able to poop at all). What I've learned about getting regular BMs is fluids, fibre, and fat. You say you drink enough water and are getting enough fibre. How's your fat intake?
  • Finally1502016
    Finally1502016 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    you could try one and only one glass of senna tea. It will get things moving ;) Its OTC at your grocery store, usually in the herbal tea section. "Smooth move" is the most aptly named but there are others too.

Hey I just wanted to let you know how everything turned out Senna tea..... Yeah, it worked.... Almost TOO good if you get my drift. I've been pretty regular lately once a day! I also adjusted my calorie intake and after review I was completely starving my body at the 12k calories a day (I know I know some of you told me). Needless to say I couldn't go because my body was trying to hold on to as much as possible. :smile: Thank you all for all of your help!
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    For future reference, try magnesium. I drink lots of water and take fibre, but the magnesium really makes the difference. Doses of around 600 mg daily should do the trick.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    1. Magesium Citrate --Calm at night.
    2. Morning: Coffee and udos flora 8 billion CFU probiotic
    3. Carbs containing both soluble and insoluble fiber. Think Oatmeal, pumpkin, psyllium husks, prunes
    4. Hydration --Enough water to make you pee clear.

All of these things are surefire ways to not be constipated. Low carb diets, simply not eating enough, and fatty foods screw with my digestion. Lots of vegetables, probiotics and coffee are the top 3 for me. Magnesium helps in times where I rarely can't go...usually when I'm not taking probiotics regularly.
  • LaurenRitter205
    LaurenRitter205 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Phillips probiotics. They really helped me and that's what I tell everyone to try. Helped my family members as well.
  • orangpeel757
    orangpeel757 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    regular exercise like walking and running can also help move things along.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    water and a couple cups of coffee will often do wonders... or watermelon sometimes.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Watermelon and yoga
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You may be so bunged up that some assistance may be required. Maybe an enema. This is medical assistance level though.

Once it's sorted keep an eye on your fibre and if you find yourself blocking up, go for a curry, they never let me last more than a few hours a clean out.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    smooth move tea or prunes
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    See a Dr.

Drink lots of water, eat berries like blackberries and rasberries.
    Avoid foods with white flour for a while.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You haven't had a bowel movement in a MONTH???!?!!! Get to the doctor. Now. Urgent Care or Emergency Room.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I find that every time I start dieting/exercising, I always get constipated as well...No clue why..I do drink a lot of water too.
  • tkeeney4
    tkeeney4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try green smoothies with 2 tbsp flaxseed! Or ACV!