Maintenance Range

My goal weight is 186 pounds, which I'm on track to make by New Year's. As I transition into maintenance at that point, what would you recommend for the weight range to stay in, e.g., 183-189, 181-191--in other words, how many pounds above/below my goal weight is good amount to stay in? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    So easy to get slack! Set a limit on weight gain that makes you change behaviour.
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    edited July 2016
    rsclause wrote: »
    So easy to get slack! Set a limit on weight gain that makes you change behaviour.

Yes, I understand that; what I'm trying to understand is: when is "too soon" to adjust calories back down, and when is "too late"?
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    That is really going to vary from person to person. If it doesn't cause you issues why not weigh yourself every morning under the same circumstances (after using the bathroom, before eating or drinking anything, the same amount of clothes - or lack of clothes on). It might help you to determine what a normal weight fluctuation is for you.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    The range people pick vary for a variety of reasons. A lot of people pick +/- 2.5 lbs. I chose +/- 5 lbs because I'm not always regular. 2 miss BMs can easily add up to a big non real jump on the scale. You want a range that is meaningful to you so that you are willing to take action but not so tight that you are always taking action. Only you can figure out what works for you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'd say 5lbs is about as high as I'd want to go. If it sticks around for a week or two reduce your calories slightly.
    That's just me though, everybody has their own comfort zone.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I'd go 3-4lbs either side of your goal weight
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 948 Member
    I am up 5lbs from my comfort weight (150lbs). The key here is I am able tom recognize that I am up in weight & it's time to tighten up on my eating habits to return to where I want to be. Sometimes easier said than done though... lol
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Have a think about what you might do to make your weight go up now and then add that. So do you regularly have a great workout on a Friday night (including weights and a run maybe), then get a takeout (Chinese or curry) and then have a drink. On me, that could easily be 5 lbs overnight water weight, on you, that might be more or less. So I have about 5-7 lbs from my target weight before I actively do something about it.

Having said that, I actually find it more helpful to track my weight using Happy Scale app. It means I can watch the trend and do something about it before it gets out of control.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Whatever you decide, I would look at average weekly weight rather than individual days.

Weigh yourself daily and average it each week. Compare week to week averages.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I'd go 3-4lbs either side of your goal weight

Yep.

My cap is 145#, 5# over my goal. I'm still pretty fat and sitting at the edge of "normal" and "overweight" BMI, so dropping weight isn't an issue. I can drop another 20# and barely hit the mid-range for a "normal" BMI.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    My plan is to start with 5 pounds on either side of my goal. That's 135, so my range is 130-140. I hope to hit maintenance about the same time as you!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I tend to maintain in about a 4lb range but really only have an upper intervention limit.
    But it's based on the trend not individual data points.

So if I have a blip above my top limit I wouldn't take action until the blip was confirmed as a trend.
    Then it's just a gentle or subtle adjustment.
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    It took me a while to realise that I have been maintaining for months as I'm sticking to the weight range I want which is half a stone.to not go under 8 stone or over 8 and a half stone.
    I go between 8 stone 4 and 8 stone 5 at the moment .
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Ok--thanks everyone--I think +/- 4 pounds (i.e., 182-190 pounds) will be the range I'll aim for...