I need advice please

Options
I'm a 40 year old male in not very good shape. 5'10" and weigh 226 lbs. A stress test at the doctors confirms just how out of shape I am. I was not able to reach the target heart rate (made it to 92%). The doctor recommends a walking routine working my way up to jogging and cardio exercise (or was it aerobic or both) as a focus and secondary losing weight. I've been trying to lose weight through change in eating habits for the last couple of months now and have been having difficulty with that alone. I lost 15 pounds and gained back 10. I'm sure that is in part due to lack of any exercise routine as well as not doing the best I could be at the change in eating habits.

First with eating habits I was only addressing carbs. Which is probably why it's not going so well. I need some sort of food planning that makes sure I get a good balance of the various needs. Based on the macro nutrient info found on the site I've determined (and I assume is correct) I need slightly over 175g of protein, slightly over 78g of fat, which leaves just under 150g for carbs (30%c, 35%p, 35%f). Having logged my food for the last few days using myfitnesspal it indicates other areas I'm not getting the right amounts. Assume the goal amounts are correct on them they are as follows: potassium, fiber, vit. A & C, calcium and iron. I assume based on nutrition talk I've heard on the radio here and there that like most americans I'm vit C and D deficient. And shy of the doctor doing blood work I have no idea if I am deficient in any other essential nutrients.

Next is exercise. I have no idea how to plan out a walking routine to work my way up to jogging. My daily at work routine involves standing for 8 hours minus breaks. I was hoping for some sort of guide to follow but searching so far only turns up buy my expensive program stuff to get something like that. Same goes for workouts. To me this general public service type stuff should be freely available. And perhaps is and I have no idea how or where to find it. Which is why I turn to the forum here to find advice. Hopefully everyone here can give me advice and even point me to some free resources to get started what the doctor has recommended.

Replies

• socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor to refer you to your local hospital's Healthy Lifestyles Program. These programs assist patients with all areas of activity and nutrition to attain a healthier, better quality of life.
  • littleberriesinbarrie
    littleberriesinbarrie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Jason,

It's great that you are reaching out for support! Not sure how much help I can be, but I think that planning your workouts will definitely help, especially if you reward your self for completing them (doesn't have to be food related).

I would set a time based goal for walking eg. 30 mins per day, so many days a week (at least 3!) and stick to it for a few weeks. You can teach yourself to run by doing short bursts of jogging mixed into your walking. Eg. 30 seconds jogging, 1-2 mins recovery walk, and alternate through your total walking time. Each week, increase the running time by whatever you are comfortable with (30 seconds to a minute) and stick with it. Within several weeks you will find your endurance will grow. Don't try to up it too fast or you will may experience hip/knee/other joint pain. When I first learned to run it took me about 16 weeks to get to 8 minutes of running without a break. But the bonus is, I haven't run much in the last year and just got back into it about 5 weeks ago and I am up to 15 minutes running so once you have built it up, your body adjusts alot more quickly.

As for workouts, if you are not joining a gym Pinterest is great for exercise routines. I know there is a male version of Pinterest, can't remember what it is called though. You can look up boot camp, hiit or calesthenics type routines, or specify the body part you want to work and just follow the routine (with the help of an interval timer app). I always start with a quick warm up routine (eg 20 jumping jacks, 20 butt kickers, 20 squats, 20 high knees) and by the time that is done, I am motivated to start the workout. You tube also has thousands of free videos if you prefer to follow someone else's lead, just search what type of exercise you are looking to do, and you can even tell how long the workout is going to be.

It's tough at first, but once you get into it, you feel so much better it becomes a need just like food and sleep! Good luck in your journey and hopefully you get some good ideas from this thread.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm no expert so I can't give you real advice except for this - Until you figure out specifically what you're doing, just get out there and walk! Walking on it's own is great exercise, however you manage to do it. Congrats on deciding to make the lifestyle changes you need to, and best of luck!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Here's two ideas for walking programs:

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/beginner_schedule.html

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/walking/art-20050972

Once you're comfortable, look for some couch to 5 K programs. There are free ones out there, available on line. Although with running, you will want to make sure you have appropriate footwear. When I first started, I didn't and ended up with injuries.

Alternatively, if it's an option, swimming is a great way to build up some cardio and help burn up a few extra calories (although I find swimming makes me stupidly hungry).
  • JasonL2000
    JasonL2000 Posts: 21 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Oh I should probably mention that any workout I do should avoid any heavy impact on my knees. Not sure how much of an impact some exercises will have. The goal is I need to get in shape and lose wight at no significant increase in my cost of living. If the program at a hospital is like consulting a nutritionist or other medical professional where I have to pay for the visits I'm afraid that it may break my income.

Most of my weight is in the torso section but well distributed so that I don't look overweight. In fact some people react with you look fine when I mention I need to lose weight. A few years ago I tried losing weight by doing a variety of dumbbell exercises that work out the upper body. But I didn't change my eating habits. And I failed to lose any weight. I suspect that may have been because I was under eating and/or not eating frequently enough each day.

Those links for walking schedule look like they will be good for me. Both appear to recommend mixing in aerobic and weight training exercise each week as well. I had figured aerobic but I didn't consider weight training. I like the idea of following a video as that would provide pacing. Here's something I found on youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC9wB38HS0G1i9Ceu1bs2-LQ. What do ya'll think of it? I watched day 1 of the series and it looks like it might work for me though I may have trouble with some of the exercises in it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    First of all a radio show cannot tell you if your deficient in vitamins or not. Only a blood test and a doctor can do that. Stop letting outside sources other than your doctor dictate your health for you.

Secondly, it is really hard to give out food or meal planning to a complete stranger over the internet. You are very informed on what you should eat, is there not a way that you look at the foods you eat now and distribute those macros in calories? And if not, shop around the grocery store or your local market and actually spend time in there looking at the foods you know you will eat, foods that will help you make better food choices to meet the nutritional needs of your diet.

Next on the exercise, first a person has to do what they can do based on limitations. You should choose an activity that you love and moreover something that you will do several times a week (or what ever you goal is) for health benefits and meet your specific fitness goals. Your number one goal for exercise should be health, and not necessarily for loose weight. Exercise is something you choose to do for the remainder of the duration of your life in order to maintain and stay a bit healthier and live longer.

There is some good advice being given here so far and the video you found on youtube, if that is something that interests you, then start it. No time like the present.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This is intended to be more encouragement than advice:

First losing weight is all about calories in VS calories out. I lost 70 pounds and went from sedentary to running 5K most days. The approach I took follows:

First log everything you put in your mouth. Once you get a handle on you intake you can take steps to control it. Set your MFP for a moderate loss. I suggest .5 pounds a week. Remember slow and steady will win the race. You didn't get fat in a few months, don't try to get slim in a few months. Don't worry too much about the macros just yet. Focus on calories in VS calories out. Maintain a deficit and you WILL LOSE WEIGHT. You can fine tune the macros as you go.

Exercise: I did not start to exercise until I lost probably 25 pounds. I am not suggesting this is the best plan. I'm just saying you can lose weight without exercise so don't worry too much about your activity. Simply walking 30 minutes, or 10 minutes will help.I initially started by walking a mile, then two then three, then jog/walk. The run 1 mile, 2, and on.

This is a process. You should not think of this as a diet, or weight loss plan. This leads to failure. Instead look at it as a lifestyle change. You don't have to change everything all at once. Your first priority is a calorie deficit, once you start losing then consider your next change, better diet, exercise, whatever.

Just remember. Baby steps. You can do this.
  • JasonL2000
    JasonL2000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    First of all a radio show cannot tell you if your deficient in vitamins or not. Only a blood test and a doctor can do that. Stop letting outside sources other than your doctor dictate your health for you.

After monitoring my food for a week and seeing the numbers fall short of the daily recommended amounts wouldn't that mean I'm not getting enough of them? Previously I assumed I was not getting enough vitamin C and D based on listening to a doctor on a health show talk about them. I basically shrugged it off but after seeing the numbers fall short I figured I was not getting enough.
    You are very informed on what you should eat, is there not a way that you look at the foods you eat now and distribute those macros in calories?

To a degree yes I have managed to do this. I lost about 10 pounds simply reducing the carbs. But simply reducing carbs without know how much I reduced them by I plateaued in weight loss with just that small change alone and no exercise. Which is why I found out how much protein and fat I should be eating so I had a figure on where I need to be at with the carbs. Today I did fairly good compared to the last week at getting in line with them. Today's end result was: 151g carbs (27%), 122g fat (49%), 137g protein (24%). That's 38g of protein shy of what I should be eating, 1g of carbs over, and 44g fat over. I ate 2,210 calories. My mistake was the sauce I had in my lunch meal. That put me over on both fat and calories for the day. I'm learning to check nutrition details before eating and didn't do so with the sauce.
    Your number one goal for exercise should be health, and not necessarily for loose weight. Exercise is something you choose to do for the remainder of the duration of your life in order to maintain and stay a bit healthier and live longer.

There is some good advice being given here so far and the video you found on youtube, if that is something that interests you, then start it. No time like the present.
    JoeCWV wrote: »
    This is a process. You should not think of this as a diet, or weight loss plan. This leads to failure. Instead look at it as a lifestyle change. You don't have to change everything all at once. Your first priority is a calorie deficit, once you start losing then consider your next change, better diet, exercise, whatever.

Just remember. Baby steps. You can do this.

Yes this is why my doctor wants me to focus on getting in shape. But he also says I need to lose weight. The way I figure it is by adjusting my eating habits and walking and exercise to get in shape the weight loss will be a byproduct of that.