Does counting CALORIES!! Really help with weight loss.

Options
13»

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing as paperpudding. It's not the act of counting itself that causes weight loss. However if you educate yourself on how much you should be eating to maintain your body weight and set yourself a certain calorie goal then, yes calorie counting can be a very effective weight loss tool to help you know how that you're eating the right amount. Even in the short term it can be a really insightful educational tool for people to learn about how many calories and macronutrients are in the foods we eat and what a proper portion of certain foods looks like. Some people find there first few weeks very eye-opening, particularly if you are very accurate and honest with your logging.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Does counting CALORIES!! Really help with weight loss.

I seem to have lost 25 kg/55 lbs during 2015 to drop me back down to the weight I was in 2004 ... also my high school weight ... by counting CALORIES. And more specifically, eating fewer calories than I burn.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    23.2 pounds lost from calorie tracking.
  • thamesworkboats
    thamesworkboats Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Well, I've lost 10 lbs in 2 months just counting CALORIES!!

What about exercise
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    In my first year of weight loss I didn't focus on calories just followed New Atkins and reduced carbs to 20gms a day and lost 23kg in 6 months. Then things slowed to a standstill. I read more and realised as your body gets smaller it needs less fuel to support itself and you really can't keep eating at the same level. I adjusted my 'lifestyle' to focus on LCHF eating and took notice of calories and macros. 18 mths later I'd lost a further 12kg. I'm now 3kg away from my goal weight. Calories count and so do the type of calories you're consuming.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Well, I've lost 10 lbs in 2 months just counting CALORIES!!

What about exercise

Calories go in, calories go out. Never a miscommunication.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I am finding it hard to eat as many calories as I've been "assigned". I'm also a slightly finicky eater and don't eat any red meat. I'm afraid that I'll become bored soon. Any suggestions?

The only red meat I eat is pork. Beef makes my gallbladder act up. I mainly eat chicken, fish, and turkey. I do shredded chicken for tacos, chili, and soup. I also use cut up boneless skinless chicken for my zucchini spaghetti instead of ground meat. You can also do fish tacos. Grilling provides good opportunities. You can Google a lot of great recipes if you seem to get bored. It's doable. :)
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    To the OP - I have lost 17 lbs in the past 6 weeks due to counting calories and exercise. I eat a lot of protein, and I cut out refined sugars and flour, along with hydrogenated oils, corn syrup, and artificial ingredients. I also walk 4-5 miles a day and do weight-bearing exercises for 10-20 minutes with the Sworkit app. It absolutely works because you train yourself to get the most for your calorie budget. It makes you eat healthier because you see how small the portions are with the less healthy options.
  • K_Anness17
    K_Anness17 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've counted calories so many times and it has never worked for me! I don't technically count my calories right now (even though I'm USUALLY under 1200 still) but I've started counting carbs instead. Keto/low carb, high fat, is literally the only diet I've been able to stick to for more than a week or 2.
  • damntree
    damntree Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat less than you spend and you will lose weight. It's really that simple. I guess you could just keep track of it all in your head but a site like this really helps keep everything in perspective. I know for myself when I stop using it I tend to eat more than I should because I'm not paying attention.