need help with losing results

Options
DMB147
DMB147 Posts: 43 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I workout 3-5 days a week burning (according to fit bit and MFP) 586-800 calories. My average food intake is as follows : (average 7 days) Cals: 1441 Carbs: 160 Fat: 60 Protein: 46 Sodium: 1453 Sugar: 65 *this is BEFORE exercise*. the goal I put for every day is 1500, 188, 50, 75, 2300, 74. I currently am at anywhere between 222 lbs and 230 (thats how much my scale jumps in a matter of days). I think its says 36-50% BF. I am 5'9. I do piyo 2 days a week and the other day run/walk & bike. I do walk my dog everyday and try not to sit during the weekends. I try to drink a green whole food shake every morning which is fruit and kale or spinach almond milk or Apple Juice depending on recipe. Food is chicken veggies and salad with egg or avocado.... and I dont eat to replace calories burned either

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Are you logging every single bite? Do you have a food scale? If not get one at walmart for about $18.
    Opinion: 90% of losing weight is eating right and staying within calories.
    My diary is open to the public and people really helped me. People can catch things like you are adding fruit without weighing it. A splash of apple juice could be an entire cup.
  • DMB147
    Options
    well i try to count or come close to every calorie but sometime I cannot find the entry for the stuff i eat. the recipes for the smoothies are all under 200 cals the nut facts are included next to recipe in the book. mine is open to the public
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I wonder if that recipe book could be wrong. Or you are adding more fruits and apple juice than you think. I would spend some time weighing and measuring everything in that smoothie. It's an excellent thing to add to your diet with serious nutrition, but I don't know how 4 cups worth is only 300 calories. A cup of apple juice alone is 100 calories. Fruit adds up just as fast. Flaxmeal is about 70 calories a serving, almond milk cup 60 cals...
    Next trip to walmart, you know what to get: A food scale and extra measuring cups for the apple juice.
    I bet you might not be adding as much kale or spinach by weight. Should weigh about 30 grams (not sure look it up). Weighing it will make a world of difference.
    Keep asking questions, and you will get answers. Just don't give up.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You need a food scale, I don't think you use one. Food scales are key!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    For how long have you been trying to do that exercise and get that food? How often do you weigh and at what time day?
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary it says your burning over 1600 calories in exercise, where are you getting that number from?
    Also your profile says you've lost 7lb, how long have you been doing this as a 7lb loss is still a loss.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food. Seriously. So many of us made that mistake, learn from us.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What do you do that your fitbit is adding so many calories? I think there is an issue with this adjustment.

As for the other side, you are probably eating more than you think, and burning less than you think. I would also suggest getting more protein in, no reason at 200+ lbs you should be under 100 grams in any day
  • JoshuaRoberts173
    JoshuaRoberts173 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a visit to the doctor and explain your diet routine. If you have been at this routine for few months you should see results.
  • DMB147
    Options
    no i dont have a scale. This new routine w piyo is only 2 weeks. My thyroid is fine and already been to a doctor. that 7 lbs lost was from april-june. I have lost any wait since then. I estimate what fit bit tells me. Ihave that on all day and my job is sedendary (secretary 8 hours a day). according to when I push that button with "I should be 195-200 weight in 5 weeks" I never saw it. The apple juice is premeasured its 2 cups. the veggies i just stuff in there i figured it does count much more the better. I guess i will try a scale.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Get a scale and be in shock and awe of how terrible your "eye balling" portion sizes are. Then discover how much better it feels to eat just enough to satisfy hunger rather than over eating. It is mind blowing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    At 5'9" and exercising 3-5 days a week the pounds would be flying off you if you were truly eating 1500 calories or less. It's very common to underestimate food consumption - do get a food scale.
  • DMB147
    edited July 2016
    Options
    well maybe i just guess from what I was eating before with constant fast food and carbs to all veggies fruit and some protein very little dairy you would think it would fly off anyway. myfitness pal doesnt help much even when i try to put piyo idk how many I actually burning...all i know its a hour of hell then i feel better later....Im also 37 years old and have no gallbladder so i know that plays somewhat of a roll
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    DMB147 wrote: »
    well maybe i just guess from what I was eating before with constant fast food and carbs to all veggies fruit and some protein very little dairy you would think it would fly off anyway. myfitness pal doesnt help much even when i try to put piyo idk how many I actually burning...all i know its a hour of hell then i feel better later....Im also 37 years old and have no gallbladder so i know that plays somewhat of a roll

The "type" of food doesn't matter, it's how many calories you were eating and are eating now. Fruit & veggies still have calories. Just as an example your salad you logged today, instead of logging it as a salad log all the foods separately and weigh them. the ranch dressing you put as 2tbsp instead weigh or measure it.
    I don't know what piyo is so couldn't advise on that.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

The "type" of food doesn't matter, it's how many calories you were eating and are eating now. Fruit & veggies still have calories. Just as an example your salad you logged today, instead of logging it as a salad log all the foods separately and weigh them. the ranch dressing you put as 2tbsp instead weigh or measure it.

PiYo is a program created by Chalene Johnson of Beachbody. It's supposed to be some Pilates and Yoga hybrid that burns more calories due to constant movement. It would be impossible for MFP to give OP a calorie burn on that. OP, you can try logging it as Pilates or Yoga, depending on the intensity or you can use Google to see what other people are burning while doing PiYo to get a general idea.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Personally I would cut sugars out of your diet as much as you can. For me cutting those out helped a bunch. As sated above get a food scale. You dont have to be within a gram... hell I sometime go over by an ounce or two and that will not derail you over the long run. I did not read your water intake. Be sure that is up there. 2-3 liters a day is what I started to do and it is easier then you think. 1 liter pre lunch 8-12, 1 liter post lunch 12-5, and 1 liter during workout until bed time.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I workout 3-5 days a week burning (according to fit bit and MFP) 586-800 calories.

The end of day exercise adjustment given by Fitbit is NOT an exercise adjustment. it is an accounting adjustment to account for the fact that Fitbit detected your TDEE as higher by 586 to 800 Calories than what MFP thought your TDEE really was.

Regardless of whether you are seeing results that correspond to that, it simply means that Fitbit overall thinks you are actually more active than what MFP thinks you are.

Since Fitbit measures your activity throughout the day it tends to be more accurate than MFP most of the time.

First of all you've lost weight. 7lbs is not something to sneeze at. You've also started a new exercise routine so it is not uncommon to have a slow down.

Having said that I would look at the correctness of my logging before looking much further.

As a side note, and in my experience apple juice is calorically expensive for what you get (apples are not calorically expensive because of the fiber you stay full longer, whereas apple juice is almost the equivalent of sugar water).

Unsweetened vanilla cashew milk, or water... is a low calorie base for smoothies. Celery juice maybe if you want to go with a juice.

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

PiYo is a program created by Chalene Johnson of Beachbody. It's supposed to be some Pilates and Yoga hybrid that burns more calories due to constant movement. It would be impossible for MFP to give OP a calorie burn on that. OP, you can try logging it as Pilates or Yoga, depending on the intensity or you can use Google to see what other people are burning while doing PiYo to get a general idea.

Chalene Johnson is a scam artist who specializes in pyramids. I'd love to see her:

oppw7k.gif
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Not to be mean, but your logging is inaccurate and incomplete. Cheese, shredded, 1/3 c. - you have the calories that equal 1/4 c., and you should be measuring cheese by weight, not by the cup.

One ounce ground beef? How do you know, if you didn't weight it.

Schar's pizza, 2 slices - the package info is for 2 pizza crusts. Were there no toppings on the crust?

Many days with no logging at all.

Buy a food scale. Be consistent in using it and be consistent in logging. This website will work it you use it correctly.

All good points.

The two 3 piece KitKat bars really caught my eye. My KitKat bar that I ate a week ago was 4 wedges and 260 calories. And yet yours is logged as 210 calories for a total of 6 wedges. Maybe you meant the fun size ones but it is still standing out.

I also think that you might be using standard portion sizes instead of actual ones (eg. 2 tbsp sauce, 1/4 cup cheese but without measuring it and seeing how much you're actually taking and factoring the calories up or down). Most chicken breasts are more than 4 oz. You should weigh in grams. Some of the chicken breasts I buy are 330 g... and that was with a piece snapped off (frozen). That's about 12 oz. It was much larger than a deck of cards. It fed me and my husband (and do I EVER want to see a chicken that could have had a breast that big - wow!). An oz of beef seems odd to me too. That's about one bite.

I think you really are eating a lot more than you think. I recommend adding people as friends and then if you're having trouble finding database entries that seem correct, ask them for help :) The database can be hard to sift through. There are plenty of incorrect entries to choose from. And weight everything. And measure liquids in spoons/liquid measuring cups.

Best of luck! It's a learning process but you can get through it and come out thinner on the other side :)