Zucchini

Options
2»

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I like to saute it in a pan (no oil needed) with mushrooms and maybe a little onion. Then I make veggie tacos by sticking the vegetable mixture into a corn tortilla. Add a little shredded mozarella cheese and some hot sauce and it's delicious!

I also like to season with Montreal Steak Seasoning and throw it on the George Foreman, or chop it up with other veggies and roast it on a cookie sheet at 400* until done (check and turn/stir every 10 minutes or so).
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Sautee in a pan with onions and garlic, then add eggs (or egg whites) and scramble. Even better if you add some part skim mozzarella and some tomato at the end.
  • MrsHephron
    MrsHephron Posts: 13
    Options
    I like cutting it into long strips, marinating it for about an hour in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, grilling it, and then sprinkling it with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
    This is a great way!
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    I cut into half moons, and saute (non-stick spray) with a little Mrs. Dash- I've used about 6 different flavors on them, always came out good.
  • MrsHephron
    MrsHephron Posts: 13
    Options
    Another good way is slicing it into rounds and throwing it in a pan thats been sprayed with pam then sprinkle a little parmasan, bread crumb and gralic powder on it. They taste kid of like fried zuchini but much healthier. I think it was a weight watchers recipe my girl freind gave me.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Another good way is slicing it into rounds and throwing it in a pan thats been sprayed with pam then sprinkle a little parmasan, bread crumb and gralic powder on it. They taste kid of like fried zuchini but much healthier. I think it was a weight watchers recipe my girl freind gave me.

Oooh, this sounds yummy, I'll have to try this one too.
    I made chili con carne last night and grated up a whole zuccini and carrot and cooked them in with the chili - extra veggie goodness (and my carrot-avoiding husband didn't even know it was there!).
  • FAtGiRLFItGiRL
    Options
    Serve these crispy zucchini sticks with either a low fat ranch dressing or marinara sauce for a low calorie dipping solution. Depending on how much of a "kick" you like, add a little more or a little less ground red pepper to the bread crumb mixture.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
    •2 small zucchini, washed and sliced into 3-inch by 1-inch pieces (about 1 lb.)
    •2 egg whites, beaten
    •1/4 cup breadcrumbs
    •2 Tbsp grated mozzarella cheese (about 1 oz.)
    •1/2 tsp salt
    •dash of ground red pepper
    •1 Tbsp olive oil

Preparation:

1. Preheat the oven to 475º F.

2. Place the egg whites in a shallow dish. Dredge the zucchini sticks in the egg white mixture.

3. In a large ziplock bag, combine the breadcrumbs, mozzarella cheese, salt, and ground red pepper. Place the zucchinni sticks, 3 at a time, in the bag, and shake until they are well-coated with the breadcrumb mixture.
    4. Place the zucchini sticks in a single layer on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Drizzle the olive oil evenly over the zucchini sticks.

5. Bake for 5 minutes, then turn over, and bake an additional 3-5 minutes, or until zucchini is tender, and outside coating is crispy.

Serves 6

Per Serving Calories 57
  • totustuusmaria
    totustuusmaria Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I make the veggie meatloaf from the following blog every week. It includes a whole zucchini. I LOVE it!!! It says 185 calories, but when I added up the products I used it came out to about 182 calories a serving and the servings are surprisingly a very good slice. It is not no little sliver! Try it out, you might LOVE it just as much as I do!

http://www.laaloosh.com/2011/05/09/vegetable-and-turkey-meatloaf-recipe/

P.S. also because of a lack of specified veggies some weeks I'll make it with some others that I have. It always tastes great so substitute away or add more zucchini if that is a fav!