Eating different amounts each day.

Options
Hello!

I'm finding that some days, if it's a special day, I will eat about 400-500 calories over my budget, which is 1200 and I don't have time to exercise. Is it ok for me to eat 400-500 less the following day to make up for it? I will never go below a net of 1200 calories, but I could easily eat only 1200 calories and then work out for an hour as well. Then, the next day, I will return to my normal net of 1200 calories.

Is this a healthy thing to do?

Thanks.

Replies

• mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This is my personal opinion and my view of how I would do it:

I would not try and make up for it the next day - you've gone over by 400-500 calories one day, and that might (or might not) have put you up in the general vicinity of your maintenance calories meaning that you would neither lose or gain weight.

Trying to compensate the next day would not make too much of a difference anyway, so I would just stick to the routine I have/want and eat up the "budgeted" calories. It may slow the weight loss down....but probably only by 100g for that week (losing perhaps 400g instead of ½ kilo).

I don't think it's unhealthy seeing as it would only be a single day once in a while - just like eating more than you should every once in a while isn't unhealthy. But if it becomes the rule more than the exception I'm not sure......

So I'd say do, what you find most appealing neither choice can be considered as ultimate good/bad - do what makes you feel good about yourself doing.
  • clair3jane
    clair3jane Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the advice!
  • MissNombril
    Options
    Personnally, the next day I would pay no attention to the calories and only eat according to my hunger. Anyway that's what I do every day.

But it's important to keep one meal or half a day "off" per week, for your head (if you restrain too long, you'll crave for sweets or cheat meals) and your body (in French we call this "rebond", it helps to avoid or break the "plateau" by boosting your metabolism)