Tell me about Fitbits

Options
I currently have a Samsung Gear Fit. The screen is large enough (rectangular) so it shows the time, date & steps on the home screen. It includes a timer, a stop watch, sleep monitor, heart rate monitor (although it doesn't work very well). If I turn on bluetooth, I can get text, email and phone call notifications (I don't do this) and it syncs with my phone....but ONLY my phone....that there is the problem.

I like my gear fit. I've had it since February 2015 and it's worked flawlessly. Battery life is about 2 days, it's easy to charge, but there's no way to transfer the data anywhere useful. Oh...and I can easily change the band to match what I'm wearing (yeah...girly, I know).

So I'm looking for a comparable Fitbit. It's a watch...I want it to function as a watch, at least indoors, and a smaller profile. My gear fit is just under an inch wide, and I find that comfortable.

Fit Bit has so many models it's confusing. The Blaze & Surge are too big....I'm thinking the Alta is probably the closest to what I have now.

Anyone have one? Opinions?

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have the Alta. It's nice for me because it does not track floors, which I do not need. I dont have stairs in my house. I like that it vibrates ten minutes before the hour is up if you did not take 250 steps. You can turn that feature off. It also can be used for alarms.

I miss the button that the Charge had but double tapping the screen to see stats is easy enough.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Alta, Charge or ChargeHR sound like they would fit your size and watch like wants. Then just pick the features you want. Want it to have an activity notification every hour you don't get 250 steps in? Alta. Want the HRM? ChargeHR. Want to be able to change the bands? Alta.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm very happy with my Alta. My main source of daily exercise is walking, so I don't really care about the HRM feature that others have. If I do weight/stationary exercises, I don't count the calories burned, anyway. If I did more strength training consistently and wanted to track that better, I would want a ChargeHR. The hourly reminder is nice, and you can also set alarms for it to vibrate at that time.
  • kschramm7
    kschramm7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How easy/hard is it to change the bands on the Alta? The gear fit just pops out of 1 band and into another....takes about 45 seconds. If it's cumbersome, it's not part of the equation. My main cardio at home is a stationary bike and I take spin classes at the gym 2-3 times a week, plus work out with a trainer once a week, so I can see the benefit of the ChargeHR since some of that would be stationary.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    For the Alta, all you do is unhook the band from the inside. You press on the metal, that's it.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I love my Alta too! Band is VERY easy to change. I like how small it is yet has great features like screen, call/text preview, silent alarms and reminders. Doesn't have HR or stairs - but I didn't need those.

Mine has definitely encouraged me to walk more and park further away from store, etc.
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Do you need to wear fitbits all day to get the most out of them?
    Is there anyway you can get the most out of them without wearing them on your wrist?

I only ask because I'd like to invset in one bit I wear a watch, even if the fitbit does tell the time I'm not a fan of digital watches.

It's not like I am desperate for one but that is the one thing rightly or wrongly that puts me off getting one
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the Charge HR or the Charge. If yo wear this everyday you will disappointed at some point in the months you have the device that the hardware (band it self tears up).. the actual "brains of the watch" will fall out (it actually will break away from the watch band) and the side button will eventually fall off.

I moved to garmin, but my husband moved to the Alta, and this is a much much better device!
  • Jamarisgrandma
    Jamarisgrandma Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge, I like that for my other friends who have one we set up challenges between us and it tracks the competition on a app on our phones. Knowing you are being held accountable by others makes it easier to get your steps in.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Don't buy the Charge HR or the Charge. If yo wear this everyday you will disappointed at some point in the months you have the device that the hardware (band it self tears up).. the actual "brains of the watch" will fall out (it actually will break away from the watch band) and the side button will eventually fall off.

I moved to garmin, but my husband moved to the Alta, and this is a much much better device!

Yup. My Charge got torn up and completely broke apart within a couple of months. That's why I switched to the Alta. I didn't want another Charge, even though it was warrantied.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    leebirm wrote: »
    Is there anyway you can get the most out of them without wearing them on your wrist?

I only ask because I'd like to invset in one bit I wear a watch, even if the fitbit does tell the time I'm not a fan of digital watches.

It's not like I am desperate for one but that is the one thing rightly or wrongly that puts me off getting one

The One and Zip are clip ons. If you plan on syncing it to MFP or have the data on the Fitbit be accurate then you should be wearing it all day.
  • heyaliwood458
    heyaliwood458 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit blaze because I normally enjoy the actual look of a watch..but you guys have now gotten me interested in the alta lol it looks nice! Do you guys think the calories burned seem pretty reliable?
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Yup. My Charge got torn up and completely broke apart within a couple of months. That's why I switched to the Alta. I didn't want another Charge, even though it was warrantied.

That makes me sad. I absolutely love mine, I feel I'm completely dependent on it, specifically for the HR monitor. I would be crushed if this happens to me :/
  • ssmartgirl765
    ssmartgirl765 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Flex and love mine
  • LisaBrown23
    LisaBrown23 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    wouldnt like one of the watches, do they not vibrate when your targets reached?
    ive got a zipbit clipped on to my top every day, part from when i go to sleep
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

That makes me sad. I absolutely love mine, I feel I'm completely dependent on it, specifically for the HR monitor. I would be crushed if this happens to me :/

Give it some time.. LOL Go to the fitbit forums and you will see where others have had this issue as well.

We did not wear ours to shower, wash dishes, do yard work or anything what would cause the devices to go through abnormal wear and tear. We did get replacements, but the third time around for me was enough!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    leebirm wrote: »

I have the FitBit One, which is meant to go in a pocket or clip on to your clothes. It doesn't have a heart rate monitor, but what encouraged me to get it was reviews of products with HRMs saying they got steps while driving and had otherwise found the One more accurate for tracking steps. I was also concerned about the reviews for FitBit Charges saying that the bands broke and that people had allergic reactions to them.

716MkCvGjKL._SX522_.jpg
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The Alta's great for me. I put it in my pants pocket when I don't want to wear it. It still picks up my steps. The watch feature is nice too. When I turn my wrist to see the time, the display lights up. This is a problem when I sleep. I toss and turn and the display keeps lighting up so I usually leave it on the night stand.
  • firead
    firead Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use a One & love it, because I wear a watch and am not allowed to have a smartwatch at my current job.
    But I have broken 2 of them by leaving them clipped to my bra and sending them through the washer & dryer.